Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegoatywoaty
THing of thing

Loc: caught in the storm of en...
incubator / terrarium setup - *pix* - Advice wanted!
    #732660 - 07/08/02 09:59 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

i have a freind with a 22"x8.5"x13.5"(deep) aquarium:

it is going to be set up in two parts...
the first chamber is 6"x8.5"x13.5"(deep) that holds approx 9 jars. along the inside is draped a heating pad plugged into a 24-hr timer.

the second chamber is in three levels, one level is the very bottom, 2.5 " above the bottom is the second one, the third one is 5.5" above that one (making two 5.5" levels and a 'basement' that is 2.5")

the bottom of the second chamber has a pan with water and a fishtank heater in it.

the second level holds 3 - 8x4.25x2.25 aluminum pans
the third level holds the same.

it has a 1.5" pvc pipe leading down the side of chamber #2 to fill the water in the pan.

it has blue xmas lights along the inside ceiling of the two levels to trigger pinning - provide light.

there is an outlet strip with 4 plugs in it attached to the side

the frame and everything is all made but i have not put this into efect yet, wont be able to for 6 weeks...

we have a few questions:

how to provide adequate air exchange... what would be the best way to get air exchanged and sterile all the wy rthough the thing... one idea i had was to use a few fishtank air pumps(using a fishtank sterileairpump tek someplace on here), say two, and lead one air line (from each pump respectivly) along the bottom of each level, or should i just have them pump straight into the bottom level and leave vent holes on the top of the fruiting chamber?

suggestions anyone?

btw total cost for this =
$16 for 43 casing pans (aluminum disposable 8x4.24x2.25)
$6 for 12 jars
balsa wood = $2 for entire frame
substrate material = $10
lights for fruiting chamber = $.50
spores = $15
heating pad = $10
fishtank heater = $8
24-hr timer= $5

$72.50

to the best of my knowledge the way in which its preposed to have this run it would be almost self sufficint save for filling the water pan and picking the fruits...

**pics? scroll down, in the next few posts**

--------------------
[real.eyes.realize.real.lies]
the only reality is the one you make of it, for in the end it becomes what it always was.

Edited by goatywoaty (07/09/02 09:23 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDrAbeLincoln
enthusiast

Re: incubator / terrarium setup - advice on air xchang [Re: goatywoaty]
    #732841 - 07/09/02 03:28 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

So is this your incubator or your terrarium.....i would just build two seperate things dude...its way more complicated then it should be. For air exchange when I used my aquarium I drilled some holes right above the perlite layer and had the cakes on a type of rubber coated fencing suspended above ther perlite. I then had an airpump hooked to a bubbler stone in a glass of h202 to create more humidity and air exchange. You want to have the holes near the bottom not the top because c02 sinks. The bubbler stone should create enough fresh air to push your c02 out.

Offlinegoatywoaty
THing of thing

Re: incubator / terrarium setup - advice on air xchang [Re: DrAbeLincoln]
    #733130 - 07/09/02 07:14 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

well dude, there is a plexiglass pice caulked on the inside of the aquarium to split it off... so right now it is liek two seperate environments in one area/thing... there are drying and print making designs to fit the 'scheme' of this setup... lol @ color scheaming(holy shit, i spelled that word way wrong) a mushroom cultivation setup

another idea for air exchange was have another pvc fitting going outside the top, wehre the air blows out, and it leads to the bottom of the fruiting chamber, with a fan/hepafilter fan attached to the top of the fruiting chamber's top... so it pushes clean air inside... anyways, yeah theres still 6 weeks for me to make final mod's anyhoo...

okay a bubbler stone is what exactly, ive heard talk of it but never ever seen one anywhere. is it just like the stones that you plug the end of a fishtank air line with so the air comes out of the pores or what not and junk? or is it something completely differnt?

thanks drabe!

--------------------
the only reality is the one you make of it, for in the end it becomes what it always was.

Edited by goatywoaty (07/09/02 07:18 AM)

Offlinegoatywoaty
THing of thing

#733355 - 07/09/02 08:59 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

chamber one will be black on the inside and white on the outside, chamber two will be white on the inside and black on the outside...

Chamber 1
A: 12"x18"x9"
-heating pad draped on either side of jar storage area with a towel on the bottom, and a sealable top.

Chamber 2
B: 12"x4"x21"
- aluminum pan with water and two fish tank heaters. pfc pipe from E leads to this pan. cup of h202 with bubler stone in it.
-bubblerstone placed in a h202 cup.
C/D: 12"x7.5"x21"
- casing shelves. they are wooden brace/shelfs made from 1/4" balsa wood resting on the balsa wood frame on the inside.
- each shelf has lights attached above the casing trays to the aquarium sides.
E: 1 1/2" PVC pipe
- leads to heating/water pan in area B, not submursed but about 1"above water line.
- on top of the pvc pipe (which is contained entirely inside the aquarium) is a removable fan with a hepa filter on it(why the hell not!). figured it would be best to move the o2 to the upper levels and let it drift down, and the hepa fitler will take any contaminants that happen to get in the thing to be filtered into the filter.
- air hose from fish tank air pump encased in sterile tupperwear filter dealy leading in and positioned across the top(or where is the best place for this?). this is plugged into 24-hr timer set to run every 6 hrs for 30 minutes.

out the hole where the cords run im guessing a sock or something wrapped aroudn them through a round hole in the top would be adequate for maintaning air in side and when the air pump runs for the extra air and stuff coming in to have a place to escape where notign will be sucked in at all..

--------------------

Edited by goatywoaty (07/09/02 09:26 AM)

OfflineDrAbeLincoln
enthusiast

#733419 - 07/09/02 09:17 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Here is the problem that I see with this design...unless its really cold where you are the fishtank heaters used to heat your jars incubating are going to heat up your fruiting chamber which you dont want. Temps for fruiting are 70-75 degrees and incubation you want it right around 85 or so. Its not flame in anyway I think the design is cool its just the temp thing I would be concerned about. Thats why i suggested to just build an incubator

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
    #733533 - 07/09/02 09:49 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thats a pretty professional looking blue-print, kudos to you!

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Offlinegoatywoaty
THing of thing

#735519 - 07/10/02 03:11 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

the fishtank heaters used to heat your jars incubating are going to heat up your fruiting chamber which you dont want.

ahh i see where you mean now... i totally forgot, in my planning, about temps (i am a newb yep) and such. i was just trying to design something that would be very workable for my well third attempt. btw, the incubation chamber has heat pads to heat it up, the fishtank heaters are for the fruiting chamber... cause it is a bigger area i figured it would need more4 heat... but perhaps the heat from the other side would be ebough to heat up the whole area. we'll see. but yes, a seperate incubation chabmer does sound better...

flame? nah dude i asked you for advidce. positive or negative, it helped me!

fd3000- thanks man!!! i try lolol..

--------------------

Edited by goatywoaty (07/10/02 03:12 AM)

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #735609 - 07/10/02 04:25 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

That's a really interesting design - the temps could be an issue, yeah, but you might be able to insulate the two chambers from one another by using a cut piece of styrofoam between them.

I notice you're using heat pads - though I've never used one myself, I'm told that they sometimes have a tendency to bake jars, and at the best are difficult to temp-control (they get hot quick and cool down quick).

I like your multilayered casing chambers. I'd be concened that 7.5" might not be enough vertical space, though, including your 2.25" deep pans.

Also, do I understand correctly that this is an aquarium - like a clear one for fish and stuff? If so, how do you get to the lower layers of your casing section without totally removing the upper layers?

I like your idea, though - I've had ideas of picking up an old chest of drawers or buffet cabinet with drawers and creating a huge fruiting unit. Of course, damn near everything I look at I say to myself, "damn! I could grow shrooms with that!"

Good luck!
FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags