Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepoof
Stranger
Should i be on the intake or outake side of a hepa?
    #7307423 - 08/18/07 11:35 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I got one of those speakerbox type hepa filters where it sucks in one side and out the other, when im doing sensitive operations like syringe making and agar transfers should i be on the intake our outtake side of it, or should i just turn it off during the transfers?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Should i be on the intake or outake side of a hepa? [Re: poof]
    #7307613 - 08/18/07 01:03 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Intake. However id personally say fuck the HEPA and go with a still air glove box. Unless you purchase a laminar flowhood or something specifically designed for labwork, you're going to be doing more harm then good. Most homemade flowhoods and HEPA setups actually invite more contams into your grow.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlinepoof
Stranger
Re: Should i be on the intake or outake side of a hepa? [Re: coda]
    #7308270 - 08/18/07 05:42 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

So your saying i should be on the side in which the contams are being pulled towards, and that my room will have more contams in it after it is hepa purified than without? do you care to explain your logic?

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #7308272 - 08/18/07 05:45 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

professional laminar flow hoods pull air AWAY from your grow space and up out of the room you're working in. So yes, you want to be on that side. However, since you're basically venting into your room and using a homemade setup, your filter is essentially worthless.

Most homemade setups cause more contams then success because of these reasons, the biggest one being that most designs are often setup improperly which often results in failure. When you use a still air glove box correctly you have a better chance since there is zero air movement in your work space.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

Offlineheadofmike
trich. farmer
 User Gallery

#7308500 - 08/18/07 07:24 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

for shizzle? thats depressing

Offlinepoof
Stranger
    #7308621 - 08/18/07 08:19 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I dont have the means to construct a still air box or install a flowhood, so i guess the best option at this point would be to run the hepa for an hour then turn it off a few mins before work.

The box seems like a good idea, but how can you say theres no airflow if your hands are moving inside of it? Just sounds like you managed to isolate contams to a smaller area thereby increasing the risk. And what if you are working with 1/2gallon jars (spawn innoc), the box would have to be huge to include all the items required for successful sterlized transfer, not to mention having an open flame inside a container. Maybe its a good idea in an extremely unsterile windswept environment, but not so in the average home.

OfflineSwitchThis
Stranger
    #7308661 - 08/18/07 08:35 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

big box, oust and bleach, work slowly, one jar at time. works great for many others.

Invisiblenovicemycology
dabbeler
 User Gallery

Re: Should i be on the intake or outake side of a hepa? [Re: SwitchThis]
    #7308776 - 08/18/07 09:11 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Check it, wait til 2marrow and Ill show you how to construct a hepa purified multi-tasking box with a .05 micron or lower, hepa with a load rated squirrel cage fan to force air though the filter. It does work as long as you are inbetween airflow timings for grain to grain or syringe applications. This is an all in one mushroom grow box period. Hopefully ill havetime 2marrow to explain keep an eye out for multi-tasking grow box!!

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #7308911 - 08/18/07 10:12 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

yes, there will be movement of air inside the box, but fresh air from the outside wont be getting in. If you sterilize your box properly before hand the air inside the box will be clean and as contam free as possible. People make still air boxes out of those giant 64 liter rubbermaids, plenty of room to work with.

--------------------

-JG

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom