Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefromthemoon
ESP Major

My Glove Box Construction – OK?
    #5925353 - 08/02/06 12:54 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hello all,

I think I did a good job making a glove box, but I would like a little confirmation from you guys/gals. I know pics will help, but I won’t be able to get some for about a week.

So far:

Plastic Container – Gloves – Glass – Silicone

I took a basic plastic container with a removable lid. I cut two holes in the side and used push pins to secure the rubber gloves to the holes and sealed them with silicone all around, inside and out, several coats.

Then I took the lid and cut out a big hole. Then I took a piece of glass, placed it over the hole, and sealed that with silicone (as I did above). Once that cured, I applied the lid and sealed that in place with silicone too.

Then I cut out another hole on the side to place objects in and pull them out. I plan to use putty to seal the hole and cover with a hard clear plastic.

I plan on using a flame in this glove box and since it is air tight, I know I’m going to need fresh air coming in.

Plan 1: Air Pump

I took a plastic bottle and burned a small hole in the bottom. I took air tubing and ran it through the hole. I added an air stone and pulled the tubing so the air stone was at the bottom of the bottle. I sealed the hole. I burned a hole in the lid to the bottle and glued polyfiber over the hole to prevent bleach water from splattering.

For the other end of the air tube, I added an extension to plug into more tubing. The plastic bottle is independent, so I can soak it in bleach water before placing in the glove box.

Within the glove box, I burned another hole and pulled some air tubing through – I glued and sealed the hole, leaving another adapter on the tubing exiting the box. Now I can take the plastic bottle, bleach it, fill it with bleach water, and plug it inside the glove box.

Out side the glove box, the air tubing plugs into a PVC tube, filled with polyfiber (I’m planning on soaking the polyfiber in pure bleach), then into an air pump.

Basically, the air pump will send air through the bleached polyfiber PVC container, into the glove box, bubble up through bleach water, and enter the glove box through the final polyfiber bottle lid.

My back-up plan is a Mask Filter w/ Computer Fan, but I think this will be less setrial than the above.

What do you guys this so far? Am I missing anything? Is there a hidden mistake I’m not seeing?

I am concerned about bleach fumes, will they destroy spores?

Thanks Guys/Gals

--------------------
Look at the atoms in the air and allow your mind to see the other planes that coexists in the same physical space where you sit. There are vibrational strings in each and every atom containing infinite realities, universes, and dimensions. Multidimensional beings and entities are RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!!! Only gravity and mental energy can pass through these different atomic branes and mushrooms can break the mental/spiritual membranes separating one reality from the other. TAKE A LOOK!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: My Glove Box Construction – OK? [Re: fromthemoon] * 1
    #5925411 - 08/02/06 01:17 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

You don't want moving air in a glove box. Your bleach water filter system will not work very well. You want still air, that is the whole point of the glove box.

A flow hood is far better than a glove box though, so that's what I'd build. You can make a cheap one out of a big plastic tub and a cheap walmart hepa filter.

-FF

Offlinefromthemoon
ESP Major

Re: My Glove Box Construction – OK? [Re: fastfred]
    #5925418 - 08/02/06 01:19 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Flow hood

I'll need to search that one

Isn't that the Fan/Filter deal?

--------------------
Look at the atoms in the air and allow your mind to see the other planes that coexists in the same physical space where you sit. There are vibrational strings in each and every atom containing infinite realities, universes, and dimensions. Multidimensional beings and entities are RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!!! Only gravity and mental energy can pass through these different atomic branes and mushrooms can break the mental/spiritual membranes separating one reality from the other. TAKE A LOOK!

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My Glove Box Construction – OK? [Re: fromthemoon]
    #5925445 - 08/02/06 01:30 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Something like this will work just fine.

Do some searches for "flow hood". If you search my posts you'll find a few with more details on the construction of this system, a few persistant nay-sayers, and several people who have built the same or similar system with good results.

Some people who haven't tried something like this will argue that it won't work because the flow is not laminar. However, they are wrong, they just don't have a very good grasp of physics.

Search my posts though, I built one a little different than the pics with good results. I sealed the hepa unit up with some duct tape, sealed the filter into the unit, and then flipped it upside down to avoid that plastic ducting mess.

-FF

Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
    #5925455 - 08/02/06 01:34 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:

-FF

:shocked:
that is the most unique flow hood I have seen yet.

--------------------

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

Loc: "The Garden"...
    #5925525 - 08/02/06 02:03 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

A grasp of physics is one thing.

A grasp of quality is another.

A table-top Holmes brand hepa filter is low quality (about 5 micron), and the construction tolerance of the case is nowhere near air tight. A 1/32nd or 1/64th of an inch gap in the filter housing, makes then useless for mycology purposes.

A well built still air glove box is cost effective to construct, reliable and near fool-proof.

Just my $0.02 cents.

--------------------
Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time...
[

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: My Glove Box Construction – OK? [Re: fastfred] * 1
    #5925526 - 08/02/06 02:03 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

All you need is something to avoid drafts. Just a rubbermaid container with a couple of holes cut for your arms will work fine. There's no need to seal it up by using putty, etc.

Don't attempt to make it a positive pressure box as shown above. Almost all of us made one of those when we were brand new at the hobby, but I don't know of any experienced hands who still use one. They simply don't work because of the turbulence created which is the opposite of what you want with a glovebox. The turbulence is guaranteed to swirl contaminants into your work, especially when you begin to work with agar, or doing grain to grain transfers.

A laminar flow hood is best of course. You can buy one from Stamets' for $500 or make one yourself for two thirds that price.

Here's the glovebox I use for isolating wild strains I bring home from the old growth forest that are always resplendant with bacteria and molds. You don't want anything that is possibly contaminated in front of a flowhood or any other source of moving air because it will blow the contaminant spores everywhere. Once I get the cultures cleaned up using the glovebox, future work is always done in front of a laminar flow hood. The tyvek wrist sleeves are attached to PVC fittings with threaded caps, which enables me to keep it closed when not in use. The tyvek sleeves enable me to pull my arm out so the alcohol flame can be on the outside of the box, rather than inside. Use latex gloves with this setup. There's no need to tape the lid down when using the glovebox. Just be sure to shut off any fans or AC units that may be on in the room you're working in. Good luck.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinekiss
numbnuts
 User Gallery

Loc: under your bed
Re: My Glove Box Construction – OK? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5925620 - 08/02/06 02:28 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I wouldn't bother using gloves in the box. as long as your pretty up-to-date on all the sterile stuff around your house, yourself, ect.
Alittle rubbing alcohol will do this hobby just fine in most cases.
For checking on jars, or casings, ect.

--------------------
see dick drink
see dick drive
see dick die
don't be a dick!

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My Glove Box Construction – OK? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5925679 - 08/02/06 02:43 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

that is the most unique flow hood I have seen yet.

Thanks. I can't take credit for the design though. It was created by stunzu something or other.

Quote:

A table-top Holmes brand hepa filter is low quality (about 5 micron), and the construction tolerance of the case is nowhere near air tight.

I don't know the specs of the holmes hepa filter, but I know it works. Any problems in the case are easily fixed with a bit of duct tape. It has one seam around the unit and two switches. The seams are easily sealed with a piece of duct tape and the switches can be too, although I never bothered with the switches and it worked fine.

Quote:

A 1/32nd or 1/64th of an inch gap in the filter housing, makes then useless for mycology purposes.

Nope. A bit of duct tape and it works fine for agar work, G2G, whatever you need it for.

Quote:

A well built still air glove box is cost effective to construct, reliable and near fool-proof.

So is the above design.

Quote:

Don't attempt to make it a positive pressure box as shown above.

Works fine. Verified by many users.

Quote:

Almost all of us made one of those when we were brand new at the hobby, but I don't know of any experienced hands who still use one.

Your personal failures do nothing to alter the fact that this design works just fine.

There are a handful of "experienced hands" who have used a similar design and verified that it works fine. You just choose to deny their existence every time this comes up in a new thread. If you want to keep doing this I'll compile a list of links to their posts.

I've asked a couple times for you to provide a link or two to posts of the many people you claim have failed with this type of design.

Quote:

They simply don't work because of the turbulence created which is the opposite of what you want with a glovebox. The turbulence is guaranteed to swirl contaminants into your work, especially when you begin to work with agar, or doing grain to grain transfers.

By that logic your "laminar" flow hoods wouldn't work either since as soon as the airflow encounters the first object in it's path turbulence is created and the airflow is no longer laminar.

Turbulence is not the problem that RR makes it out to be. Sure contams might get swirled up by turbulent air, but they're quickly blown right out of the flow hood where they pose no problem to your work. You also sterilize the inside surfaces of your hood and wipe down the objects you put in there. There really shouldn't be many, if any, contams in your hood to get swirled up, and the few contams on the surfaces of objects you put in there are quickly blown out the hood if they dare to leave their surface.

I'm not sure why RR likes to keep dissing this design. Maybe the thought that a much cheaper flow hood with less CFM's than his still works challenges his manhood or something.

Anyway, feel free to ask questions on the design or construction of one of these. They do work just fine.

-FF

Offlinefromthemoon
ESP Major

Re: My Glove Box Construction – OK? [Re: kiss]
    #5925690 - 08/02/06 02:46 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Flow Hoods look too much for a beginner like me.

I wanted to be able to flame my tools, but I'd rather not try to build a flow box if that is my only option for flaming. I just know alcohol won't setilize the inside of a needle like a flame would.

I think my glove box will be fine for starters, without the air bubbler.

I first have to make a spore syring from a print.

I figure I'll pressure treat a jar filled with RO/DI water and a shot glass. Fill the room with Oust as I place the setrial jar inside the box w/ tools, sprays, sterial needles, spore prints, etc.

Then spray it down with bleach water - close it and spray it down one more time and wait 15 minutes.

Then open the jar and open the sealed syringes and fill them with 12 ccs of the water inside the jar.

Then take the shot glasses out of the jar, empty the water out, add 1/4 of the spore print, add 6 ccs from the syring, mix the spores, pull them in and out of the syring a few times, wipe the neelde with alcohol and cover with the needle cap.

That should work in this glove box - right?

Am I missing something?

PS - thanks for the feedback so far

--------------------

Offlinewoodylover
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My Glove Box Construction – OK? [Re: fromthemoon]
    #14584305 - 06/09/11 09:03 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

my glovebox sealed with silicon and rubber gaskets

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag