Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
old hand
Re: ---Some Q's regarding straw---
    #71849 - 01/16/00 09:15 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

[This message has been edited by Condi1 (edited October 06, 2000).]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: ---Some Q's regarding straw---
    #71851 - 01/16/00 11:31 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Question number 1, Its not really good to sterilize the straw in a pressure cooker. You can do it, but risk breaking down the natural bacterial barrier that the straw has because of such high temps . Rather its a good idea to pasturize the straw. Which is really nothing more than simmering it in water for about an hour, draining, letting cool and innoculatingWhat this does is kill the germs without killing the natural protectant in the straw for killing germs.
Question2, Actually I have never read or experimented with exact measurements as far as straw to cakes is concerned. I have had only a tiny few pieces of a cake( the size of maybe two bird seed) innoculate an intire 10 gallon fish tank full of straw. Then again I have used four cakes to innoculate a handful of straw. I have had good results with both.
Question3, So far I have grown Ryches mexi-cubs, A-strain, Equadors, and mazatapec's just fine. I also grew the pan trop's as well in straw but added old cow dung to them. This is strictly my opinion, but from what I have grown in staw, I would have to say that the maza, and the A strain grew super quick in straw and I have always enjoyed very large flushes with these strains grown in straw.
One good note, I have found that chopped wheat straw works best for me because it's cellwalls are already weakened by the chewing and chopping and its easier for the mushrooms to grow in.

"IT's two in the morning.....Do you know where your flashlite and paper bag are?"

Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation