Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: bulk/straw questions
    #14460 - 04/27/00 10:38 AM (23 years, 10 months ago)

I started using Shroomgods straw tek. It works fine. But I do love to experiment alot. What I do now is take a 55gal. container fill it up with wheat straw and set it in the bath tub. I turn the hot water on and fill the container until the straw starts to float. I then weight the straw down with something and put the lid on to keep the straw under the water. I let it sit overnight and the next morning I drain it. I then make a sandwich layer with substrate and straw . I cover with plastic wrap poked full of holes and put it in a dark room and forget about it for about a week. I then take the plastic off, sprinkle a top vermiculite layer on top and place the container in a growing chamber. It works very well for bulk. I just picked 204 fresh fruits two days ago. Most were five inches high with quarter size caps. Going to enjoy some Honey tea this weekend with a few friends. :smile:
www.geocities.com/bluhoney_1999/astrain.html

Go here to see some pics of past fruits grown on straw. I used the same method I described above.

------------------
"IT's two in the morning.....Do you know where your flashlite and paper bag are?"

[This message has been edited by bluhoney (edited April 27, 2000).]

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLuciferX
ape

Re: bulk/straw questions [Re: bluhoney]
    #14462 - 04/27/00 01:09 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Although I havent used shroomgods straw tek directly. I have used straw as my preferred substrate for some time now. The advantage with straw is that it is fairly resistant to contaminates. Tricoderma and cobweb wont spread on it nearly as fast as on rice and birdseed substrates. The oter advantage is it seems to yeild bigger mushrooms. On rice and birdseed most of my shrooms wernt over 3-4in high. on straw they average 5-6 and i have seen some shrooms get as big as 9". If you are looking for a way to make more substrate fast, and increase yeilds, straw is defintely the way to go. one birdseed/rice cake will colonize a gallon of straw in about a week or a little more.

If your looking for a way to pasturize alot of straw, just get a cooler and fill it with straw and add boiling water and extremely hot water and let it soak for a few hours. temperatures in the 150-170 range work great.

------------------
-LuciferX-

"What if this world is another worlds hell?"
-Aldous Huxley

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #14463 - 04/27/00 02:36 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

bluhoney and LuciferX

Quick question for the both of you.

Did/do you shred your straw? And if so how do you do it? I know of a few ways but ...I'm not to keen on them. I know that you don "need" to shred. But it definitely helps the yeild/flush/and all around growth.

Just curious:-)

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

#14464 - 04/27/00 05:09 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Yes , Lana, I normally order my wheat straw already shreaded from "Mushroom Magic". They will send you a trashbag full for a good price. I use straw all the time and even with all the growing I do, It still takes about six months to use the whole bag. Try them out.

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

InvisibleCondi1
old hand
    #14465 - 04/28/00 03:12 AM (23 years, 10 months ago)

[This message has been edited by Condi1 (edited October 06, 2000).]

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #14466 - 04/28/00 12:59 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Hi Guys,
First off thanks for the tip about Mushroom Magic. I've been swamped at work, and with that and running around I can't shred staw as easily as others. Picture a girl with mulcher/shredder in her small yard with a bale of straw!!! HA....I'd have no problem doing it but...

Thanks for the advice :smile:

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract