Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Pressure Cooker/ Birdseed Tek
    #786025 - 07/30/02 09:22 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hey everybody...i'm a noob who has been doing PF Tek stuff for a couple months, and am looking to move on to the birdseed Tek. First, let me say i've been reading these forums for months, and thanks to everybody for all the great info i have been able to use. Ok here's the question....in the birdseed tek, it says a pressure cooker is required...no problem , i have one.....but then it says that the jars need to be cooked at 15 p.s.i. for 30 minutes. My pressure cooker automatically runs at 10 p.s.i., no more, no less. When i do the PF tek, i usually let it go an extra 10 minutes, and have never had a sterilization problem. Will this work with the pint jars as well? can i put them in for say 45 minutes instead of a half hour, or do i need to go out and re-invest in a more powerful cooker....this may be an obvious answer, but just want to be sure...thanks again for all the help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKilla420
Alien Lover
Male User Gallery
Loc: Down South
Re: Pressure Cooker/ Birdseed Tek [Re: ]
    #786057 - 07/30/02 09:36 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Where have you read that jars need to be cooked at 15 psi for 30 min.? All the teks I have seen say to pressure cook for 1 hour at 15 psi. Not sure about 10 psi though, but maby if you just leave it longer than a hour it would work. Does your pressure cooker have a gauge or a weight? If it has a weight, then you could just buy a 15 psi weight and switch them out and then your set.

Anonymous

Re: Pressure Cooker/ Birdseed Tek [Re: Killa420]
    #786084 - 07/30/02 09:45 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

You are right, i went back and looked, and it is 15 PSI for 1 hour...my mistake...but the question remains the same i guess...i will check and see if there is a weight i can buy that will regulate at 15 PSI instead of 10. If anyone has any knowledge of time/psi ratio, please let me know. Thanks again!

OfflineMogley
Mr.Phonics
Male User Gallery

Re: Pressure Cooker/ Birdseed Tek [Re: Anonymous]
    #7051509 - 06/15/07 10:52 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

First ting you should do is read threw this tek http://www.shroomery.org/9030/Docs-Wild-Bird-Seed-Tek

Ive found that this one works the best. Just make sure when you follow this process that you don't simmer to long in the simmering process. If you do this you will get busted WBS. This is very bad because it causes contams due to the starches from the busted WBS. Its best to play it safe simmer for a little less than it says. I know they tell you to rinse like 4 or 5 time but there is a reason for this so don't skip any of them. If you do then you will have dirt and grime in the WBS that can slow down colonization or cause contams. Once you have reached the drying in the strained stage its better to leave it out for twice as long. I say this because you don't want alot of water on the WBS can slow and cause contams. Preassure cook the WBS at 10 PSI for 2 hr or 15 PSI for 1 hr 30 mins. Depending on your PCer you might have to put some cloths on the bottom to stop busted WBS on the bottom of your jars.

Lemme just cut to the chase here... WBS is going to very tricky to learn at first, but just remember you dont want any busted WBS.

Invisiblemkc
Vajrayana
Male

Loc: Dharma Path
Re: Pressure Cooker/ Birdseed Tek [Re: Mogley]
    #7051528 - 06/15/07 11:02 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I'm using the WBS method as well, and mine also runs at 10psi. I just cooked it at a steady "wobble" and steam for about 1hr and 20min. It's good to just do a little more, especially for wild bird seed.

Make sure to shake the jars after it cools down overnight.

Offlineshroomballa
ShroomBalla
 User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Re: Pressure Cooker/ Birdseed Tek [Re: mkc]
    #7051562 - 06/15/07 11:21 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

i do 2 hours, 20 min at 10 psi. No contams. As Mogley said, wbs is hard to figure out at first. Rinse it a lot before and after soaking, and it takes quite a while to dry. You should be able to pick up a handful, release it with your hand sideways, and almost none should stick to your hand. Or scoop it up with a metal spoon, and when tipped sideways almost all the seeds should fall off. This was the hardest part for me to figure out. Also, soaking in a part coffee part water solution will do wonders for your colonization times. GL
edit: shake the jars as soon as all the pressure has left your pc, while they're still good and hot.

--------------------
Anything I say is fictional. Duh.

Edited by shroomballa (06/15/07 11:22 PM)

OfflineGrogan
Shroomieologist
 User Gallery

Re: Pressure Cooker/ Birdseed Tek [Re: shroomballa]
    #7051581 - 06/15/07 11:31 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I do 90 mins at 10 psi. Any more is really overkill!

I have NEVER to my knowledge had contams due to something surviving the PC at 10psi for 90 mins, it has been from inoculation errors as in the LC I used or syringe was contamed, all jars that were from that LC/syringe were the same type of contam as well.

--------------------
"Maybe a cow occasionally ate a shroom, but it certainly wouldn't be such a potent shroom that the cow would be trippin balls. " LOL

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds