Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe_Greater_God
Some dude
Loc: Southwest region
A simpler, easier tek not requiring pressure cookers * 1
    #1311051 - 02/16/03 05:10 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Two friends of mines were wondering, why use a pressure cooker for killing all the germs and fungi in a substrate enviornment when you can use bleach or a volitile disinfectant like acetone that evaporates. Also, what is the success rate like using plastic-ware and a microwave compared to using glass-ware and boiiling water / a pressure cooker.

Thank you

--------------------
Reality continues to stand in the way of what I truly want to do

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: A simpler, easier tek not requiring pressure cookers [Re: The_Greater_God]
    #1311056 - 02/16/03 05:13 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Well bleach will defenitely leave a residue.

As soon as I get some spores im going to experiment with isopropyl so you can wait and see what happens with that.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Anonymous

#1311066 - 02/16/03 05:22 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

if you use alcohol, and put the lid on, it wont evaproate. if you leave the lid off, then after it evaporates, itll recontaminate.

many people already use plasticware in microwaves. you dont want too big a bowl, or it will take too long to colonize

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
    #1311069 - 02/16/03 05:24 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Acetone rips the shit out of almost everything it touches, but it will definately disinfect.

I'd experiment. Just make sure all the tone has evaporated before you let it come in contact with plastics or spores.

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

Anonymous

#1311070 - 02/16/03 05:24 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

unless you live at high elevation, you do not need a pressure cooker to sterilize PF jars. bleach would not work for the obvious reason that it would remain in the substrate and kill the mushroom spores. acetone is a volatile solvent which would probably leave certain impurities behind upon evaporation. i'm not sure though. you could try that i guess. it'd be safer, easier, and less of a pain in the ass to just boil your jars for an hour. or shell out 30 bucks and get a pressure cooker.

i've never tried to sterilize in plastic in the microwave. i don't think it would work at all. actually, i'm almost positive it would not work at all. you know, there is a reason that the beginner's teks tell you to make PF cakes and sterilize them in a pot of boiling water for an hour. it's easy.

InvisibleFick_Duck
Truffle Shuffle
Male

Loc: The Hamburger Train
    #1311613 - 02/16/03 10:27 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

the only reason not to use a pc is because of the price. as for easier teks, i dont know how pf cakes are easier than wbs and a pressure cooker, wbs is soo much faster and you dont have to fuck with those damn tiny jars, even if you only use pint jars, youre stil getting almost 3 times what you would from a half pint when you consider what you lose in the vermiculite seal, and you dont have to fuck with that messy ass verm on every jar.

but then i guess its good to learn the hard way, or the easy way wont seem so easy.
and on the other hand, ive never even seen a mushroom so my advice is alot like the poop i speak so highly of.

--------------------
"To know life you must fuck it in the liver." -Dr. Frankenstein, Andy Warhols Frankenstein

OfflineThe_Greater_God
Some dude
Loc: Southwest region
Re: A simpler, easier tek not requiring pressure cookers [Re: Fick_Duck]
    #1311732 - 02/16/03 11:25 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

WBS ? Could you explain what tek this is ?

--------------------
Reality continues to stand in the way of what I truly want to do

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #1311862 - 02/16/03 12:19 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Umm..Wild bird seed perhaps.

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: A simpler, easier tek not requiring pressure cookers [Re: Pinhead]
    #1311968 - 02/16/03 01:03 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Yep

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A simpler, easier tek not requiring pressure cookers [Re: SixCee]
    #1313039 - 02/17/03 12:06 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i'm giving fractional sterilisation another go in the microwave. i am going to leave 3 days before each heating this time

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: A simpler, easier tek not requiring pressure cookers [Re: Fick_Duck]
    #1313097 - 02/17/03 01:18 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i agree with Fick Duck. but it appears that popcorn may be even easier because 1. they don't put fungicide on any brands of popcorn so you can't buy the wrong brand and 2. apparently the kernels fall apart easier than wbs, making removal from the jar and casing easier. soak, pc, inoculate. too easy.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Offlinemike
iHugTrees

Re: A simpler, easier tek not requiring pressure cookers [Re: Bilge]
    #1313240 - 02/17/03 04:10 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

a friend of mine just inoculated 2 quart jars of popcorn, using the microwave for sterailization. he didnt really think it would work, but decided to give it a shot, seeing how there is never a sure answer when it comes to microwaves. some say yes and some say no.

the only thing he is worried about is the fact that he didnt let it cool to room temp before innoc.
he may have kiled the spores.... :mad:

--------------------
Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
-Albert Einstein

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: A simpler, easier tek not requiring pressure cookers [Re: mike]
    #1313275 - 02/17/03 04:37 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Hey look it's God!

(sound of someone being taken control of)

Hello. I am God. I am NOT the person typing this. I am using this person as a channel, and he is NOT responsible for typing this.
I would just like to warn the ones who do use the PF jars and the boiling method, to always make sure it is at the LOWEST possible boil. I have overseen people that thought that the only reason to boil them low was so the water wouldn't run out before the hour was up, and they later prayed to me, asking me why the bottom of the vermiculite/brown rice was discolored and they're mushrooms weren't growing. They asked me to raise the temperature of the area they were in because they thought it was too cold, but they overlooked the fact that they burned the bottom of the jars. If the bottom of the substrate is burnt, it doesn't take God to see that there probably isn't any more water in the jars. I'm just forewarning you other mortals before I have to eternally damn your souls, too.
(God disembarks, leaving the channeler in a chaotic, destructive state)

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A simpler, easier tek not requiring pressure cookers [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1313469 - 02/17/03 07:00 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

thanks, God  :laugh:

--------------------
buh

InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
Re: A simpler, easier tek not requiring pressure cookers [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1317493 - 02/18/03 04:48 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Heres the best way to do plastic/microwave method. My cousins grandfather pet ferret has had great success with it. What you will need:
spore syringe, Glad plastic food containers round ones work best, rubbing alcohol, vermiculite, brown rice flour (organic works best), spring water, a nail and hammer.

Okay cook brown rice flour and vermiculite in the oven for 45 minutes @ 325 to sterilize. While you are doing this punch 3 holes in the lids of of the glad containers with a nail or drill the holes with a small drill bit (innoculation points). Mix the BRF and vermiculite and water together ( in whatever your preferred ratio is). Dump that crap into the Glad containers. Rub the tops of the containers with an alcohol soaked paper towel, making sure no food stuff is clinging to the edges. Fill a half inch from the top. It is in this space that you will use the Ramsey seal and put nothing but pure vermiculite as the top layer. Nuke these containers one at a time for 5 minutes on HIGH. Open the microwave door and let them sit there for 2 minutes then throw in the next one. Oh after you take them out cover them with a lighty very lightly soaked paper towel. Allow them to cool for at least 6 hours. After this innoculate as you would regularly. Then put the paper towel back on. You may then stack these on top of each other for the first 15 days. After that unstack them and throw away paper towel. They do take about 25 days to completely colonize but yes they work and my cousins grandfathers ferret has never had one get contaminated.

PS: The ferret squalked to me that you might wanna use a little extra water since alot evaporates (an extra tablespoon than normal ) I think thats what he said I dont speak very good ferret.

The above post is for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed to be real in any way. I am also unaware of any rights I may have, as I suffer from dementia.
- M_L_S

OfflineThe FUnGal FiEnD
Mister, can youplease help mypony?

#1325236 - 02/21/03 04:29 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
"Don't believe the florist when he tells you that the roses are free." -- Ween

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract