Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Pan. castaneifolius info?
    #693201 - 06/21/02 09:16 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i have been doing some reading on Pan. castaneifolius and most guides describe the pacific northwest variety as "sometimes slightly halucinogenic", "rarely containing psilocybin" and similar. my question is this: is the PNW variety active enough to warrent injestion? i have found these only a few times always in the same place ( a friend's back fieldd where horses sometimes graze) and have so far ignored them. i would like to hear from someone who has some experience with them. any help would be appreciated.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Pan. castaneifolius info? [Re: canid]
    #693227 - 06/21/02 09:26 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I had a friend as well who found a few of those. For a while he wasnt sure if they were active or edible or what. Did some research and ate a bit. Unfortuently he said nothing happend.

Im sure if you pick them in the early part of the year, you would be able to eat enough to trip, however like the guides say: "Low potency"...

PNW has so many damn goomers, shouldnt be too hard to find some cyans if you look enough.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Pan. castaneifolius info? [Re: angryshroom]
    #693383 - 06/21/02 11:08 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

thx for the expedient reply. i have just heard of casters form other geographical regions being more active and thought i'd ask. not sure i'd want to eat too many coprophilous mushrooms due to the "bathroom realy" that can ensue, some tea mabey but not before further research.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
    #693748 - 06/22/02 09:20 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

In the last few days I found about 10 wet pounds of these and subbs, mostly castaneifolius though I am pretty sure. Last night I tried them for the first time. I took about 3-4 grams it is hard to tell exactly without a scale. I had maybe a level one..possibly a little level two experience and a sense of well being. I will need to eat more, to get a better trip...it is too bad Mitchnast has not been around lately, he seems to be the resident expert on northern panns. I am not sure about the PNW, but here in Ottawa, and east they seem plentiful, good thing because you need a lot of these mushrooms, they are much smaller than cubes...I will be posting pics soon...and an update on my trip(s),

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Offlinecxz
enthusiast
Re: Pan. castaneifolius info? [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #693779 - 06/22/02 09:52 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You should make a tea instead of eating them dry. Just throw a bunch in a pot and I bet you wont be disappointed.

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
Re: Pan. castaneifolius info? [Re: cxz]
    #694027 - 06/22/02 12:14 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Good advice, I was going to try that next...cheers.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineSporz
journeyman
    #715232 - 07/01/02 09:37 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hello - well i seem to spot Panaeolus castaneifolius just about every month of the year it seems, here on the southwestcoast of Florida.

I find them mainly in residential lawns with sprinkler systems..but always in nice lawns, even in city areas.

The base of the stems slowly bruise a light blue.
Just yesterday i found three specimens.
The caps of the younger mushrooms are usually sticky, and very deep orange color. Some specimens more robust than others.

Nearly one year ago (or maybe more), i sent two small spore prints of castaneifolius to Sporeworks and Workman says that they found its mycelium to blue inside of their perti dishes, but unfortunatly they have yet to get my mushroomspores to fruit.

I will be extatic once we see positive results as i believe this mushroom could be cultivated and enjoyed by many people.

The taste of castaneifolius is quite great.
Bioassays from fresh samples have proven to be much higher in potency than that of dried samples.

Very colorful and relaxing experience.
Kinder than the cow field mushrooms like Psilocybe Cubensis & Copelandia cyanescens...and pan casters are not sitting on the wrong side of the fence if you know what i mean.

Keep shroomin,
GGreatOne234

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Pan. castaneifolius info? [Re: Sporz]
    #715443 - 07/01/02 11:55 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

thank you all for the help.

--------------------

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
    #716513 - 07/01/02 08:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I agree about fresh ones...my god...ate about 8 nice specimens the other night and I tripped my balls off. It was a little intense, but very good....too bad you can't keep them fresh for very long. Don't matter though, I have about 4 dried ounces now...should last a bit...but wow was I impressed with the panns...they really don't get the respect they deserve...cheers

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification