Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Potential motherload of grass dwelling Pans.
    #1865971 - 08/30/03 04:20 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Greatone
I just drove by a property that is having the equivalent of 2 football fields or more worth of NEW TURF, installed. If they don't apply fungicide, I think this might be the motherload. Upwards of 2000-10000 fruits potential.
Crossing fingers for the NO Fungicide.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflinenewAK
Loc: Alaska
Re: Potential motherload of grass dwelling Pans. [Re: ]
    #1865992 - 08/30/03 04:29 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Good luck! Crossing my fingers for you!

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1866234 - 08/30/03 05:34 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

well, they dont grow in every lawn, and it usually takes a few years for the lawn to create the shroomies..good luck man

Keep shroomin,
GGreatOne234

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1866251 - 08/30/03 05:38 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Couldnt this have been discussed in a PM? :tongue: hehe

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1866280 - 08/30/03 05:45 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

teonan, 'do ya got any pictures of the spores of those mushrooms?

Anonymous

Re: Potential motherload of grass dwelling Pans. [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1867372 - 08/31/03 01:45 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

This fungus hates old lawns.  It is being imported with the turf.  It is but a fraction of what it was at planting, after only a month.  After that you are lucky to find 10 on the same property that was producing hundreds+.

Let me explain what I have so far. 

First find was over two years ago on NEW TURF imported into my condo association.  It disappeared after only two fruitings, and has not returned. Saved only prints.

Next I recieved a print labled domestic print of Florida Cop. cyanescens from Mr.G.  It turned out to not be a Copelandia, but it was a Panaeolus of some sort.  It showed no bluing, and I put it away.  Took no prints, but saved specimens. On a side note, you might remember MR.G talking about picking at turf farms.

This year at the shroomery, you started talking alot about your possible caster.  I noticed that some new turf had been planted at a property near by. I decided to look.  There they were, more then I could count.  Kept specimens.

Found some more on New turf planted at my brothers house.  Very little turf in bad condition, but still produced a few fruits.  Have specimens.

Viewed all of the spores and gills of each of these collections, and they all are the same.  Even though Macroscopically they had some different looks, but overall similarity.

Decided to recheck the Mr.G domestic cyan specimens and low and behold, they are the same as all of these.  But they have turned blue in storage since may 2002.

I have found a few here and there,in between, on old turf.  But nothing even remotely like New turf transplanted from unknown Turf farms selling to the Landscapers down here.  The more direct the route from Turf farm to Landscape, the Better the fruitings.  Any Sod that doesn't come directly from the turf farm, i.e sits at a middle mans location, doesn't produce, or doesn't produce well.

All of this leads me to believe that Certain Turf Farms in Florida have large colonies of this mycelium in the soil.  Kept alive by Turf Farming, and it's fungi condusive conditions.  The turf is picked up and transplanted to new areas, and these pieces of mycelial colonized turf fruit, until the turf establishes.  Some fruitings result in succesful small colonies being established, year to year.  But the majority of the mycelium dies off, in the less then perfect environment of alot of Florida landscapes.

You seem to find them in High end Landscapes(Rich Folks properties with irrigation and fertilization). But you are only finding Small colonies.  Nothing compared to this transplanted New Turf.

Have you checked any NEW TURF?  Check in several different properties, because different companies get there turf from different FARMS.  I don't think all of the farms have this fungus, or some are knocking it back as a by product of Fungicide application for Turf pathogens.

I will take some picks of the microscopic features.

They fruited on mixed compost(farm manure:wood shavings).  They get really tall, like alot of pans, are skinny, with small bell shaped caps.  No bluing detected when they were first picked, and dried.  Only after being in storage.  Psilocybin, no Psilocin?

I don't know if we are picking the same shroom.  I just am pretty confident we are!!!  Once you see a fruiting in NEW TURF, you will see.

Keeping fingers crossed for this property that is 100 X the size of the last. 

Here is my mental image.  1 in 20 pieces of sod with 1-3 fruits in it.  2+ football fields full of sod.  Sod is under trees, in the open, along paths, tucked up against a lake.  Afternoon and evening showers.  :tongue:

Or all this turf without a single Fruit!!!

I feel lucky!!!

At least I KNOW which company is laying this Sod.

Pics to come of the micros.  God willing, some serious macros as well.

Anonymous

#1867471 - 08/31/03 02:33 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1868035 - 08/31/03 12:34 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

yeah, ive looked on new 'turf'.
-ive looked clear across the whole town for these shrooms.
-i find them growing in new places all the time.

the fastest i have seen them come up from newly laid sod was 1 year.

and for the most part, the lawns take about 3 years for them to be conditioned for fruiting.

Quote:

They fruited on mixed compost(farm manure:wood shavings). They get really tall, like alot of pans, are skinny, with small bell shaped caps. No bluing detected when they were first picked, and dried. Only after being in storage. Psilocybin, no Psilocin?

-id love to see a picture of that!!!!
-they seem to lose almost all of their potency after drying, but they are indeed psychoactive when freshly picked.

GG

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1868338 - 08/31/03 02:16 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Have you bioassayed any of these mushrooms??

Quote:

No bluing detected when they were first picked, and dried. Only after being in storage

-this observation seems to contradict what it is i have found..
-can you explain the bluing in better detail??
-have you ever seen one of the caps bruise blue? or just the base of the stems mycelium?

-The way that you describe the 'fresh turf' reminds me a lot of where and how Copelandia chlorostysis is found;
Here is the link to the Copelandia chlorostysis papers;
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...&PHPSESSID=

What other panaeolus mushrooms would you consider to be finding?

GGreatOne234

Anonymous

#1868349 - 08/31/03 02:19 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I jsut reworked several specimens last night, and have some corrections to make.

The Mr.G domestic cyan is exactly that. A Cop. cyan with extremely infrequent cystidia. I missed them with the first mount.

The other collections appear to be a mixed bag. The one at my brothers house is different then the ones picked at other locations.

As of now, I have two different lawn specimens that look extremely similar macroscopically, but have differing spores and slightly different cheliocystidia, both have no pleurocystidia that are visible (larger then basidia).

It's weird that they act so differently from your location to mine. Hopefully this new property will fruit, and I can show you pics of the macros.

Will post pics of spores of various specimens tonight.

Anonymous

#1868371 - 08/31/03 02:28 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

There not chlorocystis.

Lawn shrooms:
Yes some have blued on the cap, and they seem to blue up more in storage. I haven't eaten any of them.

Mr.G cultivated:
Are Cop.cyans. Just a really degenerated strain. Infrequent cystidia, this seems to be the product of bringing them indoors for many generations.( found infrequent cystidia in the Hawaiian domestic strain as well).

Weird thing about this cop. cyan is it is different from the Wild Mr.G trop, the domestic trops, and the Florida cyan. Larger cystidia, with green apex!!! 4-spored still.

I am getting more and more confused the more I look at all these Pans/Copes.

Nothing seems to be very consistent.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1868440 - 08/31/03 03:24 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Yes some have blued on the cap, and they seem to blue up more in storage.

wow, i have picked thousands from Sarasota/Manatee counties and never ever have i observed bluing on the caps~!
-and of all of the ones i have picked and then dried, the bluing at the base of the stems basically disappears once dried.

GG

OfflineInca
Fungus Lover
    #1868477 - 08/31/03 03:53 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I know you said the are not these but check it out. Mj had posted these in the past. Hope they help :smile: 

--------------------
Did i mention....I Love Fungus

OfflineInca
Fungus Lover
Re: Potential motherload of grass dwelling Pans. [Re: Inca]
    #1868495 - 08/31/03 04:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

There is a couple more pages but the server said i reached my upload limit for the day :frown:

Peace,
Inca 

--------------------

OfflineInca
Fungus Lover
    #1868518 - 08/31/03 04:15 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Teonan said:
There not chlorocystis. green apex. 4-spore

It's says thay  chlorocystis is 2-spored with a deep green apex of the metuloids. Hmm...  :shake: I dunno...new discovery :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineInca
Fungus Lover
    #1868553 - 08/31/03 04:30 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

It would be nice if you guys have actually discovered a new species. Teonan get back to that microscope :smile:

--------------------

Anonymous

#1868690 - 08/31/03 05:25 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

The bluing is very mild. Not every specimen, and usually the bluing is only noticable at cracks in the cap, or along the margin.

I wouldn't get to excited. It is not substantial.

After putting them back under the scope, I am very nervous about munching any, because there appears to be multiple species? I don't want to make a mistake.

Anonymous

#1868724 - 08/31/03 05:42 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Green colored Cystidia are not unique to Chlorocystis. Many of the Copelandia in circulation have green cystidia in the apical region.

I was under the impression that the entire Metuloid is green in chlorocystis. Which would make it unique!!! Along with the 2- spored basidia, and habitat.

Anonymous

#1869908 - 09/01/03 02:00 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Specimen 1
spores 13.75 X 8.75 microns

Specimen 2
spores 15 X 8.75 microns

Anonymous

#1871661 - 09/01/03 05:33 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Anonymous

#1881432 - 09/04/03 04:18 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Picked the first Specimen exactly six days from planting of Sod.

Rain is expected to be a little more substantial tonight, so hopefully things will pick up. The rain has been sporadic, and not very heavy since the turf was planted.

They still have only planted about 1/3 of the property.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1884267 - 09/05/03 09:48 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Blue ringers appear in fresh sod within two weeks of planting the sod in the ground here int he PNW.
Thats bnecasue the myelium has been growing in the stacked sod until it is delivered to a lwan by a lawn service supply company. Bassett and Western in Woodinvile, Washing which is next to Carnation dairy suppy many suburban lawns in Bellevue, Redmonk Kirland, Rwenton and Auburn with such fertile soil which produces shrooms. I just picked some last week and posted a few images forma new lawn only three weeks old.

mj

Not a coupple of years. They usually only grow for a few years due to a lack of lawn service and sprinkler systems and now due to a lack of the disappearing daily pastures south of Seattle being replaced by one story Boing not poluting buildings.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #1884285 - 09/05/03 09:55 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Inca, I am the one who posted that article and scanned it. you can repost it with copy and properties and it will not affect your upload limit. You opost the url and then the [image]Picture[/image} like so and get the whole artilce.

mj

I picked C. chlorocystis in Florida with Arnold weeks back in 1979.

have a shroomy day.

mj

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Potential motherload of grass dwelling Pans. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1884404 - 09/05/03 10:37 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

ALl very interesting - the panaeolus mystery continues - why not get Guzman on the job MJ - then we'll have 20 new panaeolus species!

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Potential motherload of grass dwelling Pans. [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1884608 - 09/05/03 11:29 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Guzman has at least 25 new psilocybe species but his time is all going into the revision of the genus Psilocybe. HE has shrooms even Workman has a hard time to get growing of new species I discovered.

.mj

To do this kind of worrk youhave to have a position in that particular field and then you createe your field of interest formthe mycology interest.

Then you can study these shrooms.

Remember everyone in a University who handles hallucinogenic shroooms can only do so with a schedule one permit, something which is very hard to obtain in the USA. and sometimes even in other countries.

After Gartz almost lost his job at the U of Leipzig for selling cultures int he 1990s he was not allowed to do much University research on psilocybeine shroonms after that fiasco which he did not ttell me about so Ilearned second hand from several european mycologists.

have a shroomy day.

mj

Anonymous

#1885537 - 09/05/03 04:17 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Picked 4 of 5 new specimens today. The turf is now extremely saturated from heavy rains overnight. They are still planting new turf, approaching maybe 1/3 of what is going to be planted.

The ones I am finding now, are originating from the first sod that was planted a week ago. Things should be starting to accelerate.

Pics taken today will be uploaded tonight.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Potential motherload of grass dwelling Pans. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1886034 - 09/05/03 06:37 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I picked C. chlorocystis in Florida with Arnold weeks back in 1979.

Which city/town was that in?

Anonymous

#1886825 - 09/05/03 11:24 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1888023 - 09/06/03 10:17 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

very interesting stuff. living in tampa bay, florida ive found a couple of these lawn-dwelling psychoactive panaeolus. in june of this year i must have found at least 300 of these mushrooms growing on lawns, usually well-conditioned, but sometimes not. i found an abundance of them growing in more sparse grass, with slightly wooded (forest-like) soil under trees. they are psychoactive. having consumed about 12-15 i experienced a level 1 trip. my collections i gave to my friend because i was traveling at the time he said that from the 100-150 shrooms he got and dried, he experienced 2 level 3 trips with decent visuals and dadada.

anyway here are my pictures, and if anyone is interested i can send spore prints because i certainly am.

slight bluing near the base of the stripe:

after june the collections were fairly mediocre and lately i have not had time to look for anything. they bursted with friuts in june and afterwards there were only some here and there.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1888161 - 09/06/03 11:55 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Hm, thanks for the photos Teonan.

Those give me the feeling they are slightly different than what i find..
-You ever find one with a nipple on the tip of the cap?

Here is some of my pix;

Anonymous

Re: Potential motherload of grass dwelling Pans. [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1888508 - 09/06/03 03:24 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yes I am interested too. check PM.

Anonymous

#1888516 - 09/06/03 03:30 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I can't imagine there are more then one species. I just think there are several variants of the same species.

A gill fragment would solve the mystery. HINT HINT HINT

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1891092 - 09/07/03 03:16 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

yea, gg send him one if you can. i dont have one on hand but i will when and if i have time and if i find some.

mine often have a nipple on top especially in age, if you look at the opened pileus in the photo you will see it has a nipple. they all look different from when or where i find them and from specimen to specimen. some look identical to a stereotypical foen and some look somewhat like subbs because of their chunkiness especially of the stems. and some some look almost like cop cyans like the picture on the bottom gg posted.

their appearances vary but overall i would put their appearance closest with descriptions of P. castaneifolius, maybe i am swayed by P. castan's habitat....

anyway, lets keep this going.

Anonymous

#1916327 - 09/14/03 08:53 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

just an update. have found no new specimens since the last ones.

MagmaManiac
yourspores are within the size range. 12.5-13.75x 8.75-9 microns. without gill frags it is really just guess work. Shape and size is right, your spores are on the darkside of the spectrum in color.
spores of the specimens I get tend to be more redish/brown/dark brown under the scope. Which really doesn't mean much, after viewing the variability between spores of all the strains of copelandia cyanescens.
When you have the time, the gill frag will make it alot easier to know if they are the same.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1916523 - 09/14/03 10:04 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

since i have seen a lot of Conocybe lactea fruiting around the lawns i will check a local spot for them in the morning. the Pans often i have found growing when C. lactea was found.

i will promptly send it to you if i find it, how do you suggest i package it?

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1917775 - 09/15/03 11:58 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

some some look almost like cop cyans like the picture on the bottom gg posted.

Those three shrooms on the white miami heat hat are not Copelandia cyanescens.. they sure do look a lot like them though don't they..

Last week i found 2 of the lawn shrooms, but i ate them both up lol

GG

Anonymous

#1918507 - 09/15/03 04:39 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Just dry a single cap and put it in a piece of paper taped on all sides, or a small manila envelope. Anyway you think it will remain intact. If you don't want to send a whole cap, just cut a wedge out of the cap before drying , and seal up the wedge after drying.

A wedge that forms a perfect triangle. The point of the triangle originating at the center of the cap, and the base of the triangle will be made up of the edge of the cap. If it is a small specimen just send the whole cap, or specimen.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1918895 - 09/15/03 07:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

i did not find anything sorry. :thumbdown: its been dry this past week and a half. maybe if this hurricane brings some rain but looks like its heading north. 

Anonymous

#1919818 - 09/15/03 11:25 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

It's been hot and dry here too. It is driving me nuts looking at all that new turf and not finding squat.

Thanks for looking and if you ever come across them again....you know!!!

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1921337 - 09/16/03 01:36 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

This fungus hates old lawns. 

T, I wouldn't go so far as to say, 'hates' :smile:

The first time i found these mushrooms was on March 1st of 2000.
-And it was my largest score ever, with almost 200 shrooms off of just one lawn. Not a new lawn, the lawn was a few years old.

Since that day i have been finding them in lawns all over town. Never found them on any freshly laid sod. Maybe about 80-100 different lawns throughout Sarasota/Manatee counties. Those include residential lawns, commercial building lawns, public parks lawns, and small lawns of fast food resturants.

I have bioassayed the Shrooms in question, maybe 30-40 times. Each bioassay was a success.. these are my favorite Shrooms to eat and trip on. Though they do tend to mild in potency.

I'm still waiting for mjshroomer to share with us where it was that he was picking Copelandia chlorostysis, and i find it strange that he had never mentioned on any message boards that he picked this Copelandia mushroom.

I have been looking on every lawn i come across for the past three years, looking for these shrooms and have never found them growing from fresh sod. And i have looked on many freshly laid lawns. I look for them almost everyday.

March is the finest month of the year for this mushroom.

It's too dry and hot and sunny right now for mushrooms.

Keep shroomin,
GG   

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1922557 - 09/16/03 08:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

i found hundreds of them in june, that seemed the best time around here, i couldnt find any before, and i looked.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1923436 - 09/16/03 11:59 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Another thing,

Just because they are 'mild' in potency, does not mean one needs to eat way more Shrooms.
-They are mild for good reason. For a mild trip.

A story; (Toltec)

A man who is a master at the art of meditation, is approached by another man with a question about his art.
The man asks the master, "If I meditate 4 hours everyday, how long will it take me to see this spiritual light that you see?"
The master replies "Oh, maybe 10 years."
Then the man asks the master, "If I meditate 8 hours everyday, how long will it take me to see this spiritual light?"
The master replies "Oh, maybe 20 years."

So you see, the Shrooms are their own potency for their own reasons.
-I recommend eating 12-24 of these Shrooms for a dosage.
-And they have to be eaten fresh, never dried.
Never dried.

Keep shroomin,
GGreatOne234

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1932553 - 09/19/03 03:25 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

is that quote from "The Four Agreements" by Ruiz (not sure) by an chance?

i ate about 12-15 and had a "high-level" level 1 trip. on the upper end of the "scale."

Anonymous

#1932848 - 09/19/03 04:43 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

There here. Picked 1 in 5 came home with 60 specimens. Beat the lawn mower to them on a very small section of the property. Pics to come. Images didn't upload properly. Have to wait 24 hours to try again.

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
    #1935137 - 09/20/03 11:47 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Just a thought. Has anyone noticed or checked if any of these lawns that have the large fruitings, have been overseeded, fertilized,dethatched,cored or aerated prior to the fruitings. Maybe one of these practices encourages these mushies to pop up.

doo

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

Edited by doo (09/20/03 11:49 AM)

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: Potential motherload of grass dwelling Pans. [Re: doo]
    #1935151 - 09/20/03 11:59 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

All very good points doo! Seems everyone is concentrating on one variable, age of the lawn. This isn't a controlled grow and there very well could be other variables influencing the fruiting of these mushrooms.

The few specimens of this "mystery Pan" that I found in my lawn only fruited for about 2 weeks if that, haven't returned since. If I do come across them again I'll post pics, and if you all think they look similar your welcome to all the gill frags you want.

LK,

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Potential motherload of grass dwelling Pans. [Re: doo]
    #1935537 - 09/20/03 03:30 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Old turf removed. New turf planted. Mushrooms appear. Nothing else was done to the property.

Turf originating from one farm had only 5 shrooms. Turf originating from another farm had at leasty 300-500 shrooms.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1936511 - 09/20/03 11:52 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

i did notice any specific fruiting habits of this mushroom except that most of the time it prefers well-maintained lawns. i found the biggest patches of a total of about 200-300 scattered lawn to lawn in condos with trees over the top. in some of the places the grass was fairly thin and the soil was somewhat humus-rich.

Anonymous

#1936560 - 09/21/03 12:18 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1936571 - 09/21/03 12:22 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

changa changa,

panaeolus changa.

its been raining these past two days so i may look for some tomorrow, although im going to the fields anyway. changa did you find those now?

Anonymous

#1936597 - 09/21/03 12:37 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yesterday. had trouble uploading until today.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1936668 - 09/21/03 01:11 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

4 agreements, yeah that's the 1.

Anonymous

#1938184 - 09/21/03 05:08 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Found about ten on the first turf installed , freshly cut, today. Found another few hundred+ or so on the second set of turf installed from a different farm, the group of turf that is producing the most. Nothing yet on the turf less then a week old.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1938633 - 09/21/03 09:05 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

are there slightly nipples on any of those caps?
-i?ve never seen a nipple on any of the caps i?ve found.

i?ve talked this post over with hunting friend Peaceful_Nomad here in Sarasota and he neither has ever ever spotted them growing from newly layed sod.

(Flashback)
when i visited Hong Kong China, i was studying the mushroom Panaeolus papilionaceus..they were growing in well manured flowerbeds in the richest district of the city where everything was clean and rich and beautiful.
-After a few weeks of finding them in the flowerbeds, then i started finding them in the surrounding grassy area (of which was actually fenced so that people couldnt walk up there on the grass) and of course i didnt care and neither did the rich peoples chinese security guards who didnt mind any for me to hop the fence and pick the mushrooms. And those mushrooms i began thinking were also Panaeolus papilionaceus, but they took a distinctly different in a appearance that the ones in the manured flowerbeds nearby. They looked also exactly as the "suspected Pan casters" i had been finding in Sarasota and Bradenton Florida back home.
-Almost exactly as the suspected casters, but of course none of them blued at the mycelium at the base of the stems, and they also grew in way larger numbers that what it was i found here in sarasota.

Here is one of the hong kong pictures from Olympic village I in downtown HK where rich families live in a non-gross environment and with the shrooms downstairs their skyrise houses;

and a second from the garden;

and a third from the garden;

It was only a few days that i had of then finding them in the grassy area and i can?t recall ever taking pictures of them... but the point of the story was that they completely changed appearance that what you see above growing in well manured gardens, and then when they were growing in the lawns the looked almost exactly like the suspected casters back home but never staining blue, not tasting quite the same, not smelling quite the same, and also growing more abundantly.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1938682 - 09/21/03 09:25 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

And now back to sarasota;

The Peaceful Nomad and i have talked and hunted this species together and exchanged information about our finds;

In a large public park with grassy area where the shrooms grow they seem to enjoy the light and airy "fluffy" areas of the lawns where when you walk on the lawn it is squishy and very airy so that when you are walking and hunting them your footsteps sink down a few inches
-Then the mycelium will colonize certain areas and then after the fruitings the shrooms stop then the mycelium moves and fruits on other areas of the lawns. But never again after that. The mushrooms just fruit and then just dissappear from one spot and then move to another spot.
-The mycelium is prefering to live attached to this sod and then it just moves on after it uses the certain nutrients or ph level.

I have also found several locations where these shrooms grow more abundant in, grassy areas that need to be re-sodded because there is more dead grass that there is green grass..

I am extremely tired, i hope this makes some sense.

Anonymous

#1942080 - 09/22/03 08:57 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I followed the base of several mushrooms growing along the edge of a piece of sod, so the whole soil/sod interface line was seen. The mycelium was in the soil, and the base of the stem was coming directly out of the soil. Attached directly above the base, were fragments of dead sod.

Some of the specimens I am picking show some bluing all the way up the stem to about 1 inch below the cap, most just at the base. A few of the caps have a nice blue tinge to them, but not anything as substantial as the base of the stem. Some of them actually look like they might pack alittle punch. I am thinking more and more about sampling.

Seems to be some subtle variation amongst them microscopically, not much though. Just slightly larger or smaller cheilocystidia.

Your description of the AIRY Sod, just about somes up the stage of establishment the sod is in when they are fruiting. Lots of dried/dying grass mixed in with the newly growing grass.

I am shocked you guys don't find them on new turf. I have pretty much locked in on the TWO WEEK mark from planting, as long as the conditions(rain, irrigation) are there. Origin of turf is definetly important as well(conditions on the turf farm). This huge property has sod from several sources, and not all of it is even remotely as productive as some of the other turf. The most productive turf so far came on the second truck load. I wish I could find someone working on the property who knows more then "I think it is St.Augustine turf", "we get the sod from different farms, trucked in". I still have yet to see a foreman on the property suprivising, the installation. Just a few hard working mexicans, two laying the sod, one working the soil prior to .

Combining all the US based literature, Caster seems to be the correct shroom by macroscopic id, even links up via cystidia, only the SLIGHTLY WRINKLED SPORES make it a negative. These are smooth.
Without comparison to the type collections, its all educated guessing.

Makes me start to think about Stametes mentioning a coastal mushroom on the west coast similar to Foes, that blues.

This is the accuminatus of THE SOUTHERN MUSHROOM FIELD GUIDE, and the CASTER of Stametes book when you look at the macro pictures, and description. SPORES ornamentation is the only VARIANCE.
Maybe Foes are the ancestor, and the rest are just new variants.

Anyone have any Foes we can compare these too!!!!! I would like to test these for compatability with FOES. Since getting access to the Types is probably difficult, or impossible.

I have never found a Foe in Florida. Found lots of Psyth. gracilis in G'ville looking for the Casters, back in 94.

Anonymous

#1942116 - 09/22/03 09:08 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Nipple like P. hoog NO.  Some are are shaped like a witches hat, pointy.  Some are bell shaped.  Some go plane, some have wavy caps.  There is so much variability from cap to cap.  I actually found some very young ones that look very orange/yellow, like young copelandias, but other young ones look like picture perfect foes. 

Some have meaty stems, others have very thin stems.  There crazy with variability.  I really like the idea of picking Actives in Lawns, makes me feel like MJ must feel picking Stuntzii.

It is funny to imagine all the folks walking right by these things, sitting at a bus stop less then two feet from them.  Less then ten feet from one of the most congested roads in MIAMI.  You can literally see them driving down the road, they are that THICK in numbers. :grin: 

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1942850 - 09/23/03 12:37 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Some of the specimens I am picking show some bluing all the way up the stem to about 1 inch below the cap, most just at the base. 

-Alright dude, that was a red-flag. You?re not finding the same as i in sarasota. You?re not.

And now the next thing you said here to further prove my point;
Quote:

A few of the caps have a nice blue tinge to them, but not anything as substantial as the base of the stem. 

-Again, another red-flag. You?re not finding the ones i find here.

Ok, now let me go on to show another unidentified lawn-shroom i found here in a sarasota neighborhood a couple years ago. And this here (Single) mushroom was growing on the next door neighbors lawn, and that persons lawn was growing "my suspected casters", but then i found this mushroom and this mushroom is not the same. So i present it as a "Suspected Panaeolus fimicola"; Here she is;

-Ok now notice on this one single Shroom how the bluing goes up an inche onto the actual stem itself and not just on the mycelium. This mushrooms gill structure (the way it connected to the cap) was clearly different than "the suspected casters i find on lawns".
-This is why i took the picture of this mushroom because i knew it was something else other than the normal "casters".

I can?t wait until we can start calling them something other than pan casters.

I took this picture of that single shroom for a good reason, because i knew it was "something else" and it clearly had bluing going up the stem, and not just the stems mycelium.

And back to your other quote, about some of them having bluing on the caps of the mushrooms. I have found thousands of these buggers, never ever-ever-ever did they ever have blue on their caps.

The legacy of the un-ID?ed FLORIDA lawn shroom continues.. i love it.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: 

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1943016 - 09/23/03 01:38 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Another quote from ya, Teonan;

Quote:

I have never found a Foe in Florida. 

-Yeah, neither have i. I swear by it. They just don?t grow down this far south.
-Foes can probably be found in northern florida though, because it gets colder up there. But i just don?t think that mushroom grows anywhere south of Orlando.

Now, here is pan foe collection that i made in 2001, from a police station lawn in a suburb west of chicago;

-Not the best of picture i know.
-I went on later that year to seattle washington and spotted bucketloads of foes growing in lawns. So i am familiar with this Pan also.

Now, if the Panaeolus/Panaeolina/Copelandia genus is confusing us all too much already, than you had better not continue reading. :lol: :loveeyes:

Panaeolus papilionaceus is also found in florida.
-But i?ve never found it down here in sarasota, or anywhere else in florida for that matter.
-I?m going to just throw my distribution on that mushroom, from Gainesville - north into basically the rest of the country, but probably not past the city of Orlando.
-The book "Florida Mushrooms" by Dr James W Kimbrough, he treats the mushroom in his book, so i suspect that it must be common in Gainesville - and north of that city, but probably not any furthur south.
--The only places i have found Pan pap?s, was in hong kong in the manured flower/gardens, in the lawns adjecent to it; and then secondly in several smaller cities of central China (hundreds of miles of north of HK), and inside of water buffalo pastureland.

Here in florida, ive never found it myself yet. And ive hopped into oh maybe 100 different pastures throughout the state, most of them in the sarasota/bradenton area; and i?ve hopped the fence well over 1000 times (every day of the year) to study and collect mushrooms. Ive never found papilionaceus here dude. Its not even an active mushroom, but id love to just see those buggers in florida.. i?d laugh my ass off if i did and be real happy if i did though.

On top of all these species, there is yet another unidentified one that i only found once, it was probably almost 3 years ago which i found dozens of a black spored Panaeolus shroom growing in a cow pasture and the bases of the stems mycelium stained blue. I had a good deal of those pictures and posted them here dozens of times through the years, but those pics a probably lost now, like 90% of all the others i had taken and not stored properly. Anyways, they were not subbs and i don?t think they were olivaceus either. We had no idea what they really were but, i know i?ve never found them again and the place where i did find them is no longer a cow pasture for the cubes and shrooms anymore and is a state of the art recreational facility for rich people who retire and go golfing everyday.
-And then i had a very-very large cache of Floridian Shroom pictures, but those were all lost when the old donkey drool went down, and nobody ever wants to hear about that whole pulling of the plug scenerio we all had to go through.

Anyways, back to the lawn shrooms.
-I just don?t see why we can?t identify them.
-It?s gotta be done. We need an actual "Paid" professional who is an admired and respected person in the field of botany or mycology to do this for us (and document this for us). (maybe i stated that wrong)

I?d like to give good ol? Dr. James W. Kimbrough the chance to do it for us.
-He is the head of the mycology department at the University of Gainesville Florida. And has held his chair there for (i think) over 3 decades now. The dude gets paid by the school run a freakin Mycology department :smile:

I don?t think we are getting very far anymore with this.
-Something should have been identified already...
-And it?s just not happening here at the Shroomry.

Almost a year ago, i decided that Guzman was so busy, that it would be pointless to even send the man anything.

So, i then sent specimens and sporeprints to steven l peele. No response. Probably never will ever hear a response either.

I have went to the U of Gainesville website, and searching through the site you can find a way of messageing James Kimbrough, so i messaged him some questions about Reshi mushrooms i was finding in Sarasota. Within a day or two he responded and said i would be welcome to send some of the specimens to the University and he could identify them for me properly.
-The reason i dig Kimbrough, is because; 1 he is in florida. 2 he actually took the time to respond to my question. 3 his book treats Psilocybe cubensis, a few different Panaeolus species, and also a few different species of Gymno?s. And 4, he is credited in the 1969 publication of North American species of Gymnopilus, i was shocked to see that he worked on that, so you know the dude would probably do this for us.

Then there is also the guy that John Allen has recommended before, the man in Switzerland who worked (or has worked for?) the chocolate milk company Nestle.

Who knows, take me to the hospital :lol:

Keep on shroomin,
GG   

Anonymous

#1945115 - 09/23/03 06:17 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

We can play the yes they are the same, no they are not game all day long. You focus way to much on macro variables. I can show you microscopically that they are the same. Since you don't seem like you want to give one up, how about I come to you. I'll bring all the necessary tools to SHOW YOU VISUALLY how rediculous it is to make macroscopic comparisons between this mushroom growing in the same piece of sod, let alone in different counties of the same state.

Forget the degree of bluing or location of the bluing as a determining factor as to wether we are picking the same shroom.

Red flags in this instance are going to be if yours mate with mine, and what percentage of the monokaryons do mate.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1945917 - 09/23/03 10:08 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Teonan  :heart: :grin:

I've sent these to several people. Surprises me you never got any yet.

I want to get them to you, and i will.

I will PM you some more personal information, in a few minutes.

I've been wanting to get them to you, but  :lol: I keep eating them all everytime i find them.
-And not enough to even trip on really.

Me me me, anyways, actually i took a while looking today,
(The Weather Is starting to feel very Shroomy again!!)

Didn't find any today though, but i saw plenty of the Conocybes popping up, so, this is a good sign, maybe tommorrow a few of the pans will pop up and say hello to me.

**Also on a side note**
-I was finding various mushrooms today, one of the finds was a perfect cluster of the Ringless Honey Mushroom.

I'll get back to you in PM.

Sorry if i'm muckin the post up with these blurry ideas about other shrooms.

GG 

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1949575 - 09/24/03 10:47 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

yea tenoan be sure to post the results of your investigation on here, itll be fun as hell.

i think Kimbrough would be a great place to start. from his book, i have gotten a good impression of him, if that is place to get an impression from. i have read about him in other place. i recommend him for this journey. as always i will help and wish to help in any way possible to get this research furthered.

good luck to everyone.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1955666 - 09/26/03 10:19 PM (18 years, 28 days ago)

so whats up with this, we gotta start doing something to get this going. let me know what you all think because im new to this!

Anonymous

#1959843 - 09/28/03 04:12 PM (18 years, 26 days ago)

I am trying to create a picture book of all the identifying characteristics to be able to go to a Herbarium and request a look at the type collections for comparison. I think it will be alot easier to get help if all the work is already done, and it is presentable in a legal fashion.IE I am not in possesion of Funny mushrooms. Just a bunch of pictures and measurements already recorded.

They are still growing like mad down here. The property now has at least a few specimens coming from all sections of turf. Some sections are MUCH MORE PRODUCTIVE. Still can find at least a couple of hundred any day of the week, regardless of the height of the grass, or the temperatures. Some of the newest turf is getting ready to fruit like mad. It is only a week old and already has a few fruits. Todays specimens were nice. Some short fat, wide capped specimens and one really tall thin specimen, like 7 inches tall.

Any one living in Florida please search out new turf, about one week to one month old, or nice well maintained lawns for this mushroom. Please PM if you find any, and save at least one specimen for ID. Need the gill fragments.

Mushroom is growing from soil and turf, ST.Augustine grass. Not manure.

Offlinecalishrooms
prodigy
    #1960951 - 09/28/03 10:17 PM (18 years, 26 days ago)

i live about 10 minutes south of san mateo and on many occasions have i found these. Today I went looking after all this hot weather we've been having and found about 20+ on various lawns, all have been well watered. I'm going to take pictures of the specimens along with sporepints, measurements, and the charateristics of this mushroom. I have always stumbled upon them but have never eaten them because I kind want a complete chemical breakdown. Yes they obviously are a member of the panaeolis family. But what... I have always thought there resembled pan. foes. as i think was already mentioned.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Potential motherload of grass dwelling Pans. [Re: calishrooms]
    #1963703 - 09/29/03 08:31 PM (18 years, 25 days ago)

where is san mateo?

Offlinecalishrooms
prodigy
    #1964282 - 09/29/03 11:54 PM (18 years, 25 days ago)

i meant san fransisco by san mateo my mistake

Anonymous

#2053994 - 10/29/03 05:13 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Picked 1 in 3 today and came home with fifty specimens. We just had some back to back rain days so I figured I would check out the property.

Was very slow first two weeks of october, but a lawn mower followed by some rain raised them again.

Anonymous

#2304386 - 02/05/04 12:27 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Found six specimens on some recently installed turf in a publix parking lot, yesterday. We had a good rain , and they popped up.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2304550 - 02/05/04 01:17 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Hey Teonan,

I was out there a few days ago looking in a albertsons parking lot with newly laid sod. I found a bunch of Agrocybes but none of the Panaeolus.

They should start popping up very-soon! March is just around the corner and i usually find the most of them during that month.

I'll have pics and prints once they do!~
-Got any pictures of the six you found?
-Did any of them blue at the base of the stems?

This is the year of the new Panaeolus mushroom.
-This time i won't let them get away from me.

Yeah, we've a decent amount of continuous rains lately, and fog and humidity also.
-I think it's supposed to get colder this weekend but they say it will also rain again.

I'll take a quick look again today for some of them.

GG

Anonymous

#2304761 - 02/05/04 02:07 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I didn't take pics. It was a suprise find going to buy groceries. They were the typical ones from last year. Occasional bluing at base.

InvisibleTheDrugStore

Loc: Hawaii Flag
    #2307267 - 02/06/04 01:05 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Thos exact shrooms where growing in my backyard up here in seattle.

At the time i was like... WTF are these... they cant be. Well anyways then i wasn't familiar with shroomery so didn't ask. Anyways i picked them all and brought them down to my friends house. I had a giant zip lock bad full of them. They where just growing EVERYWHERE!

Anyways i took spore prints... they where a dark black...Still we where cautious on weather to take them or not... they just didnt seem like the mushrooms we usually ate.

So we sat down, smoked a joint took a second look at the big ass bag and said FUCK IT. Better safe then sorry. So it went in the trash and that was the end of that.

I made a BIG mistake didn't I?

Where these acually shrooms. I mean the pictures you have posted are EXACLY!!!! what they looked like. They had the cap that had the light brown discoloration at the top and the dark rim. And the thin super light brown stem. These didnt really bruse though! Well anyways... yea thats my story.

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Anonymous

Re: Potential motherload of grass dwelling Pans. [Re: TheDrugStore]
    #2308322 - 02/06/04 01:12 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Be very careful.

There is a whole group of very closly related mushrooms with this appearance. None should be poisonous, but you never know.

This mushroom seems to be unique to coastal areas of south florida. Paul stametes mentions a similar mushroom growing in your area, but does not give details.

They are weakly active at best, and caution would be advised.

If you find them growing again, this year, please save at least a single specimen, dry it, and give me a private message.

InvisibleTheDrugStore

Loc: Hawaii Flag
    #2314736 - 02/08/04 04:31 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

They where only around for a couple of weeks and then they disapeared. The thing is that they where growing in the backyard of my old home... which i no longer live in any more. I think one reason of there disapearence was one.. i picked alot and the other was my dog would eat them... i could never tell if he was fucked up because he was always be fucked up with me...(stoner/alcoholic dog) My friend who saw these mushrooms along with me though does still live very near. Ill tell him to go pick a couple and get some accurate pictures. Im telling you though that the pictures on this thread are EXACLY what they looked like... i can't find a single difference, but who knows.

Also if this makes a difference... they where growing in my grass which was pretty new and put in when i first moved in. They would grow in somewhat little patches all over... not like cubensis grow almost right together but a slight seperation between the shrooms in each patch.

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2336736 - 02/15/04 10:34 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Hey T,

Found one just a little while ago outside.
-I haven't picked it yet.

I'm going to have a walk around today and try to find somemore!~

Keep shroomin,
I'll get some pics up later hopefully,
GG

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2342576 - 02/16/04 07:45 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I found three specimens growing on a lawn about two weeks ago I think. They were surprisingly robust. I looked in some of my other lawn Pan spots but didn't find any others. I dried the three specimens.

Anonymous

#2346749 - 02/17/04 06:42 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

PM me for an addy to mail to.  I only need one :grin:

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2386407 - 02/28/04 12:58 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Here is a find of Florida pans from the end of last week. I found a few growing in the same spot today after the rains.

the whole bunch of them. White corrected and slightly brightened.

And here are several closer up. White-corrected.

They are uncommonly strongly brown-hued, even the gills in older age. I almost thought they were P. foenisecii, although there morphology is a bit different. The spore print confirmed they were not. This group was found on a very-well tended lawn that was fluffy in the feet. Presumably it is "thatched" or something like that. This all I have found of the pans, none of my other spots produced.

As I said in my pm Tenoan, I'll send you specimen of the 3 shroom find before that, or some of these that I found growing in the same spot today.

Bye Bye!

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2386620 - 02/28/04 03:09 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :alert:

Niiicee :laugh:rools:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2386621 - 02/28/04 03:10 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

They're so nice looking, i'd like to eat them all.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2388526 - 02/29/04 11:15 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Unfortunately about half of them had maggots in them, you know, between the gills up there. I threw them out even if they had one little maggot because I had to keep them overnight and I didn't want them to all get eaten up. I gave the equivalent of about a handful fresh (they were in pieces because I checked for maggots), maybe a bit more, to a friend, who ate them and said he felt funny for about 30 minutes and thats it. He also stored the overnight in his trunk when it was chilly and they dried out a bit. Weak.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2389246 - 02/29/04 09:42 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, they are typically low in potency. But i still swear by this- i've found some rather potent ones of these!

I've made a few collections of under a dozen mushrooms and bioassayed them and tripped pretty darn good from them before.

That's why i think that if we could learn how to cultivate them that we could see some much more potent fruits.

I eat these shrooms everytime i find them basically, they're yummy.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom