Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinen8
Re: storage of sterile substrate jars berore innoculation
    #68890 - 12/18/99 07:11 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

psh. i dont think the free time thing really has much to do with it, huh? you just wanna get started right away. heh.

no, don't try to do it far in advance, especially if it's your first time. in the 2 or so weeks it might take the spores to get there, the substrate might have gotten kinda dried out or even contaminated unless it was in exactly the right conditions the whole time. don't bother, mixing it all up and sterilizing isn't really that time consuming.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: storage of sterile substrate jars berore innoculation [Re: n8]
    #68892 - 12/18/99 08:02 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you for your input. And yes, your probably right by saying that it's the anticipation factor getting the best of me!

------------------

If you get confused just listen to the music play...

Anonymous

#68893 - 12/18/99 08:33 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

If you prepare your substrate too early, the yeast in the substrate can react and create a mold that can be seen. You will smell something like beer, this is what happened to me when I left them around for to long.

------------------
Peace
Blue

OfflinePsilowarrior
enthusiast
    #68894 - 12/19/99 10:46 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

First off, if you properly sterilize the jars and seal the lids with saran wrap and tape they can last a very long time.

If anything grows in the jars it is an indication that they were not sterilized properly. Proper sterilization will result in the death of yeast or fungus or whatever may be in the substrate before sterilization.

I know I'm going against the grain here but I think you should make them a week in advance. That way by the time you're ready to use them you know for sure that the substrate is indeed sterile and you don't end up wasting valuable spore solution on substrate that is destined to fail.

Anonymous

#68895 - 12/20/99 03:11 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, that is true Psilowarior, but the substrate might become too dry for the spores to begin growth. The process doesn't take more than an hour and a half to do, so I can't see why you wouldn't ever have that much time.

------------------
My mind is corrosive...

Anonymous

#68896 - 12/20/99 06:44 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

How is it everyone is having problems with dry jars? Especially after you've sealed them. Where is the water going to go? Unless you vaporize them and the moisture leaves the substrate, what can go wrong with the moisture?

I've had jars sit around for a long time and still work fine. Make an extra jar, and open it right before you use the rest. Smell it, to find out if the batch went bad.

OfflinePsilowarrior
enthusiast
    #68897 - 12/21/99 09:51 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I have the same question BuffaloTrance. WTF. I have also used jars that have been sitting for a while with no problems. The point is this. If you take the simple precaution of sealing the jars with saran wrap then they will not dry out. And I'm talking for weeks. Take my word for it. I've done it. It works.

And it's not a question of not having the time, it's a question of eliminating the possibility of incomplete sterilization. This is always a good idea if this is your first time growing gourmet mushrooms and you wish to not waste spore solution.

Anonymous

#68898 - 12/21/99 11:59 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I agree, I have prepared jars a week in advance and never had a problem with moisture content. But if you have any contams at all in your sterilized substrate you will be giving it a head start. If you do decide to prepare in advance then add powdered gypsum to your substrate after cooking but prior to sterilization. I add 1 gram per quart of substrate. This will even the playing field for you. Since this is your first time I wouldn't stack the deck against your eventual success. Good Luck.

------------------
Peace, Love & Light

OfflineSome Old Guy
    #68899 - 12/22/99 12:14 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Is using saran wrap on the jar lids an alternative to using jars that don't have a rubber seal?

I bought my jars already, and then I heard that they had to have rubber seals on them. Oops!

Anonymous

#68900 - 12/22/99 12:48 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I think he means the saran wrap in addition to the regular lids.

I use a Ramsey seal, which should be sufficient without the extra saran wrap.

It works, just do it. brf + verm are great because they're easy.

Offlineoldmaverick
enthusiast
    #68901 - 12/22/99 04:21 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I never had this problem of jars drying out, neither do I have any contamination problems, I usually leave them in the cooker, so when I get them out to innoculate they are fresh like daisies ( hmmm that analogy doesnt work here does it).Leaving them there in the cooker is a good idea, provided you dont use it to cook food, I do, but then thats why I have 3 of them.
Just my .02 !
"I'm not stupid, I'm just stoned"

------------------
Maverick shroomed@rediffmail.com
=====================
Psychedelia in India....
We arent there yet but ,
We are getting there !!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract