Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDanimal
journeyman
Temp. of jars
    #682347 - 06/16/02 05:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm growing shrooms for the first time. I've already innoculated the jars and I know its recommended to a. have some type of heating unit and b.have a thermometer to monitor its temperature, but due to my situation, I have neither. Instead, I have the jars bundled up in blankets in a blanket, shielded from any light. My house is kept at ~70degrees and I know the recommended is 75-85. Do you think this "method" will be effective(ps, I am attempting to get a heating unit and thermometer) or lead to problems?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTripySmurf
journeyman

Loc: Smurf Village - House wit...
Re: Temp. of jars [Re: Danimal]
    #682379 - 06/16/02 05:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Welp im no expert but friends of mine grow from 60-70 degrees all the time.. a bit slower but they have no other complaints.. good luck:)

--------------------
All the above text is fictional and is meant for roleplaying only!

Invisibletheseeker
addict
 User Gallery
    #682383 - 06/16/02 05:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

get a thermometer to check your temps.. if you're 15 degrees below the ideal of course you're going to have problems ie colonization will be very slow, more time for other life forms to get ahold of the substrate. try putting them near your hot water heater or something like that, maybe up on a shelf to catch the most hot air.

OfflineC12H17N204P
enthusiast

Loc: Minnesota, USA
    #682439 - 06/16/02 06:13 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well if your house temp is 70, your jars are probably no wamer than 75. Your jars will colonize, but it will take a little time longer. Why not go by a heating pad? They're cheap and you can get them anywhere.

--------------------
"My mind is full of dreams...
My eyes filled with fantasies
I hear what I see
And see what I hear
My senses are not dulled, I simply see clear"

The Green Pages
"My heart is broke, but I have some glue, help me inhale, and mend it with you." - R.I.P. KDB

OfflineDanimal
journeyman
Re: Temp. of jars [Re: C12H17N204P]
    #682530 - 06/16/02 06:42 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I was looking through my basement when guess what I found, a heating pad! It has three settings: low, medium and high. Few quick questions(yes, I have looked at teks beforehand): which setting do you think I should use; how long should it be on daily, is it safe to have it on @night while I'm sleeping?

Thanks

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #682614 - 06/16/02 07:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Heating pads all differ iin temp's they produce at differing settings. It also depends on if you use it in a closed space like a rubbermaid or sterlite tub or plain old foot locker.

Your best bet is to place one in something like a foot locker or tub, (cardboard box even) place any type old oven or fridge rack (or what have you) over the pad -- so the jars are not in direct contact with the pad. If they do the botton inside of the jar will dry out & not colonize.

Find a cheap timer that can be set to turn off & on about 4 times a day & plug the pad into it. A low pad setting with 4 on intervals of about 2 - 3 hours divided in a 24 hour period is about right to maintain a 80 degree temp. Test your set up to be sure.

At least with the old foot locker the Raccoon used to use, that worked. The Raccoon also kept an open jar -- full of water in the footlocker, so there was a source of water to allow the enclosure to maintain some humidity, so the jars would not lose it.

What the Raccoon uses now to incubate jars in is an old decomissioned refridgerator. He rigged up a 40 watt light bulb in a metal enclosure inside the fridge to serve as a heat source & hooked that to a thermostat that can be set to maintain the temp at 85F. Works great.

The Raccoon would almost bet a 20 watt bulb on all the time (with a tin can over it -- & tin foil -- to block the light) would do the same thing if in an enclosure like a cooler or foot locker. Just test whatever you have to use & be sure it doesnt get to hot. Or, you end up with thermal death of the Myc.

If your only doing a few jars, set them in a cardboard box & set the box on top your PC case. That seems to maintain about an 80 degree temp.

SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation