Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed??
    #6771408 -

I have a 30gig slave hard drive and the other day it just started making a loud "click click click click click" noise. That's all it'll do now. That hard drive had all my memories on it and all my mp3s. It had pics of all my previous g/fs and all my friends and most of my good times in pics.... all gone in a millisecond. But the noise that it's making makes me think it'd just a spring popped out of place or something. I'm sure the data is still there, but something in the drive came loose. Do I have any hope? Is there a way to revive this hard drive, or possibly take the hard disk out and put it into a new drive? All the data I had on there is worth more than thousands of dollars to me.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: UncleLuke]
    #6771414 -

The read/write head is messed up. Sometimes it can be knocked back into place by firmly tapping the drive while it is running and clicking. Other times it cannot. There are companies out there that can recover the data for you if that fails.


--------------------
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither.
-Benjamin Franklin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: Legend9123]
    #6771416 -

Also do not try taking it apart on your own without a clean room. You will most likely get dirt on it and completely screw it up.


--------------------
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither.
-Benjamin Franklin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: Legend9123]
    #6771417 -

Legend9123 said:
The read/write head is messed up. Sometimes it can be knocked back into place by firmly tapping the drive while it is running and clicking. Other times it cannot. There are companies out there that can recover the data for you if that fails.



Thank god!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: UncleLuke]
    #6771422 -

What if I have illegal items on the drive? Would they go looking through my shit if I paid a company to recover the data for me?


--------------------

Edited by UncleLuke (04/10/07 06:07 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: UncleLuke]
    #6771426 -

double post


--------------------

Edited by UncleLuke (04/10/07 06:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: UncleLuke]
    #6771432 -

I doubt it should be an issue. The best bet would be to call and ask one of the companies if they respect personal information and such. Try out this link: http://www.harddrive911.com/


--------------------
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither.
-Benjamin Franklin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: Legend9123]
    #6771438 -

thanks dude you just made my day. I was so depressed, I thought I had lost everything!!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: UncleLuke]
    #6771442 -

Legend9123 said:
Also do not try taking it apart on your own without a clean room. You will most likely get dirt on it and completely screw it up.



not always, I've done it several times to one drive, even ran it for a couple days open


UncleLuke said:
What if I have illegal items on the drive? Would they go looking through my shit if I paid a company to recover the data for me?



yes, several people have been jailed for having child porn on computers that were taken to the shop

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? *DELETED* [Re: Legend9123]
    #6771448 -

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #6771450 -

Prisoner#1 said:
Legend9123 said:
Also do not try taking it apart on your own without a clean room. You will most likely get dirt on it and completely screw it up.



not always, I've done it several times to one drive, even ran it for a couple days open




I said most likely. Another factor is he probably has never seen the inside of a drive and would have no idea what to look for or fix.


--------------------
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither.
-Benjamin Franklin

Edited by Legend9123 (04/10/07 06:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: Legend9123]
    #6771468 -

Well tell me what I should look for if I do decide to open it up...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: UncleLuke]
    #6771477 -

if you're asking you probably dont even have a t-8 to open it with

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: UncleLuke]
    #6771479 -

Try the firm tapping method first to try and knock the read/write head back into position.


--------------------
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither.
-Benjamin Franklin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: Legend9123]
    #6771498 -

Which angle do i tap it and which side do i tap it on? I don't wanna knock it even further out of place.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: UncleLuke]
    #6771502 -

The top and straight down is what I have always done. It has worked for numerous drives long enough for me to remove the data from them.


--------------------
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither.
-Benjamin Franklin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: Legend9123]
    #6771518 -

So tap the top side to the hard surface? So I'm holding it upside down and tapping downwards??


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: UncleLuke]
    #6771531 -

The flat side on top with the sticker on it. If you look at where the IDE or Sata cable connects on the end of the drive it will be closer to the bottom of the drive.


--------------------
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither.
-Benjamin Franklin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: Legend9123]
    #6771765 -

I tried slamming it on the ground on all sides. Nothing worked, it still kept going ker-click ker-click ker-click. But I noticed that whenever I turned the drive over with my hand very fast, it'd quit clicking for a couple seconds. I tried opening the drive too but nothing would come apart even after I took all the screws out. :-\


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My secondary hard drive died the other day... Can it be fixed?? [Re: UncleLuke]
    #6771774 -

im sure there are some pills out there for it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Windoze killed my hard drive DreaMaTrix 3,135 15 10/06/02 06:57 PM
by ShroominSpradl
* A Teahouse Interview with In(di)go in Germany World Spirit 3,399 13 04/12/05 08:08 AM
by In(di)go
* auto shop, fixed my car withoout asking, $300 bill WTF HELP ZippoZM 3,842 19 08/26/04 12:41 PM
by ZippoZ
* *DELETED*
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Chronic7 9,448 60 08/13/04 05:57 PM
by entiformatie
* Happy Birthday In(di)go! gdman 927 15 05/06/05 12:54 PM
by Shroomism
* Driving Home from work scotsman1 1,193 13 02/17/04 10:00 AM
by scotsman1
* Driving while stoned?
( 1 2 3 all )
tomk 5,726 59 10/24/04 02:18 PM
by druqks46
* Defensive Driving it stars saddam 945 13 09/25/05 12:15 AM
by D4NK

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,276 topic views. 0 members, 51 guests and 199 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.