Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
auto shop, fixed my car withoout asking, $300 bill WTF HELP
    #3049038 - 08/25/04 05:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

and its not even my car.

allow me to digress.
i have been trying to buy a truck with a snow plow for a while now. i went to check one out the other day and it was very cheap but the plow would not lower.
so before buying it i asked the seller if he would be willing to take it right down the street to the local firestone shop. he said ok.
the owner was there and told me that it would cost $35 for a dignostic on the plow and he would check out the car to see if it was worth buying and if it would last. he said it would be checked out by 10:00
so i wait for a call all day and then around 3pm i call over there and ask about the car. so i get put on hold for a few minutes and some guy comes back on the line and says
"its done"
and im all like "what do you mean"
he said "its fixed"
"whats fixed" i ask
"we got the plow un-stuck and fixed the problem with the battery"
im going to cut the dialouge short here.

the thing is i didnt want it fixed, and its not even my car. i was just paying to have it checked out.
the bill comes to about $300
one of my friends who drives a tow truck and works in a body shop told me that they can not fix your car without asking the owner of the car. who was only there to drop it off.

so heres the problem. i was going to get the car diagnosed and fix it myself after they told me what was wrong. but now they went ahead and put time and efort into the car which i dont even own. im sure that if the ownder of the vehicle finds out that the car is fixed that he will jack up the price of the vehicle a few hundred which puts me out of the market.

what the hell am i going to do?

and worst of all they didnt even check the car out to see if its about to fall apart, or if its worth buying for me. and now that they fixed it they dont have an un-biased opinion because if i dont buy it they arent getting paid.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: auto shop, fixed my car withoout asking, $300 bill WTF HELP [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3049050 - 08/25/04 05:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

How would you possibly get stuck paying for it? It's not your car, you didn't agree to buy it, you didn't agree to pay for fixing it, and you didn't ask them to fix anything.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#3049060 - 08/25/04 05:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

but the thing is i want to buy it, and i brought it there to have it checked out and diagnosed.
now that its fixed 2 problems arrise.
1) i do not think that the shop will tell me if there is anything else wrong with the car, because if there is they arent getting paid
2) now that its fixed the price is going to go wayy up if the owner finds out.

interesting note though. the auto shop only has my phone number, the owner didnt care to leave his. this is the only decent truck with a plow that i can afford within 100 miles of me. and there are over 13 milloin people within that distance so if i dont buy this plow then i dont get one and my business is fucked for the winter

--------------------
PEACE

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineFlusH
Random person on Internet

Loc: Bizzaro World
Re: auto shop, fixed my car withoout asking, $300 bill WTF [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3049079 - 08/25/04 05:26 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Threatin the shop with lawyers, or get one to write a letter stating why they cannot do that. Or just steal the vehicle from the shop at night. Do not tell the original owner about the modifications, and purchase the vehicle. Or just tell the original owner about what happened, but still getyourself a lawyer(or even a cop) that can help persuade the grease heads at the shop to return it to the way it was ( probably a bad idea since they will do a hack job) or keep the modifications.

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: auto shop, fixed my car withoout asking, $300 bill WTF [Re: FlusH]
    #3049087 - 08/25/04 05:28 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

with the shop what am i going to do, tell them i wont pay and have them break it. im sure if they break the damn thing that theyll realllly break it.

and i think that buying the car from the owner without telling him about the mods is a good idea, but i still dont know if the car has any serious menhanical damage that would cut its life short.

--------------------
PEACE

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #3049099 - 08/25/04 05:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

first thing I would do is talk to the shopowner and make it very clear that you gave no authorization whatsoever to repair the car and you have no intent on paying for the repairs. If he gets bitchy then get a lawyer. Im pretty sure its against the law to fix someone's car without asking them first.

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3049124 - 08/25/04 05:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Like Flush said, you can probably beat having to pay the bill, but it may take a lawyer to do it...

Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

#3049130 - 08/25/04 05:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

leave the car and never let them know where you went.. change your numbers etc

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3049170 - 08/25/04 05:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

sounds liek midas.....

if you didnt ask them to fix it, you dont have to pay for what they did without permission.  period.  in fact i would be pissed and, depending how pushy they are, i would sue them for tampering with my car without permission (jsut to shut them up).

lawyers will cost more than it it worth....they are bigger theifs than the prick that ripped ya off :smirk:

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #3049204 - 08/25/04 05:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Talk to the owner. He won't want to pay the bill either and will go and give them YOUR $35 to get it back. Then he'll sell it to you and you can both laugh at the stupid shop over a beer (which he should buy).

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TMâ„¢ :cool:

OfflineFade_To_Black
Fire It Up

Folding@home Statistics
Re: auto shop, fixed my car withoout asking, $300 bill WTF [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #3049356 - 08/25/04 06:36 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

HeavyToilet said:
How would you possibly get stuck paying for it? It's not your car, you didn't agree to buy it, you didn't agree to pay for fixing it, and you didn't ask them to fix anything.

yes, raise hell! you didnt want it fixed but they fixed it anyway! thats kinda like a wal-mart employee handing you a playstation2 and telling you that you are going to buy it because you looked at it.

--------------------

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet
    #3049375 - 08/25/04 06:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If the guy your going to buy it from is a decent enough business man, he'll pay the bill himself. He may jack up the price a little, but he shouldn't make you pay for the whole thing completely. Bringing lawyers into it is unecessary.
It's true, mechanics can not even look at a vehicle let alone fix a vehicle without the permission of the owner. If you and the owner did not discuss repairs that would be made then he shouldn't expect you to pay for them. Just my opinion.

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: auto shop, fixed my car withoout asking, $300 bill WTF [Re: Fade_To_Black]
    #3049381 - 08/25/04 06:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i got off the phone with one of the workers at the shop. everything else on the car seems to be fine, except the brakes which i can fix myself.
i do want to buy the car, but $300 is pretty damn steep for those repairs. im sure that when i go and talk to the owner of the store tomorrow that i can get him to lower the total bill amount. and buy the car without the owner knowing it got fixed.

and a new plow installed is $3000 not to mention the price of a 4x4 truck to put it on. and if i can get out with a working truck and plow for under half of that i really shouldnt complain.

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#3049396 - 08/25/04 06:48 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

just got off of the phone with the owner of the truck, he just wanted to konw what was happening with it. so odd that he would call mle to find out what was happening with his truck.
i dont know why he wouldnt just give the shop his phone number.?
oh well ill just play it to my advantage, he also said that he is willing to work somthing out, which is bacically him willing to lower the price some more.
ill probably get out of this whole thing with a truck and a plow for about $1200 (usd), not too shabby

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
FUCK FIRESTONE!!! [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3049414 - 08/25/04 06:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I hate that fucking company, every time i go in there, i always get shit, it doesnt matter which one i go to!!

Its insane, i think the people that work their either come from the lower end IQ of the population, or they are seriously just corporate robots made to steal your money.

Its redicoulous the ammount of shit ive had to put up with from them. Telling my mom their are things wrong with her car when they are not. Telling me it will take an hour and a half to get an oil change when their is no one in line. Not even acknowledging the fact that im in their store sometimes... SHitty.

No, you dont have to pay for the work. Their was no agreement, if they refuse to give you the car that YOU brought their to get fixed, you can have them sued.

Tell them your gonna call their corporate office and tell them how they fucked you over, and how their company might be getting a lawsuit. :wink:

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
Re: FUCK FIRESTONE!!! [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3049607 - 08/25/04 07:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

if you dont sign an estimate your not bound to pay it

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

Loc: ..long road ahead..
    #3050791 - 08/25/04 11:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i hope you learned your lesson.

never go to firestone.

you generally dont have to have any experience to work there....

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet
Re: auto shop, fixed my car withoout asking, $300 bill WTF HELP [Re: iloveraving]
    #3050835 - 08/26/04 12:01 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I had a bad experience with Goodyear.
I prefer to work on my car myself!

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: auto shop, fixed my car withoout asking, $300 bill WTF HELP [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #3050852 - 08/26/04 12:07 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i always work on my car myself, but i have no clue how hydraulic snow plows work, and how to free stuck cylanoids as was the case and then un lock a cylinder or somthing.

we shall see what happens tomorrow, ill probably buy the thing, but its just a question as to $
i found out that the spedomiter has not worked since atleast 2001 and that its probably way above the 100,000 miles it displays, and carfax said it failed 2 emissions tests then passed one and hasne been tested since 2001, which means that it is overdue for a test.

but even if i have to junk the truck, the plow is well worth it.

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#3053452 - 08/26/04 02:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

so i called and talked to the owner today, he cut the bill down about 200 dollars, and i talked the owner of the truck down 200 dollars.
so im getting a truck and a plow for about 1200, which included insurance on the truck too! its only $50 for 2 months of somthing.
so yeah, huzaa, i came out on the good side of things once again.
maybee ill post pictures for all of you of my new rig :smile:

--------------------
PEACE

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub