Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJoHnNySc
enthusiast
Re: How do I use this damn pressure cooker properly?
    #67493 - 12/04/99 02:01 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

i keep the water level around 1/3 of the way too. Tighten your lids and then untighten them about a quarter of a turn. You want gas to be able to excape but not let water in. Another thing is if you put holes in your lid make sure you cover them with AL foil.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

#67495 - 12/04/99 02:00 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Still no luck. I taped the holes in my jars, then covered them with foil. Put them in the psi. cooker on the rack, water 1/3 of the way up the jars. I even monitored the temp. very closely to try to keep the boil low to avoid splashing. At least one jar comes out waterlogged. Oh well, guess I'll get used to it if nobody has an answer.

I'm also noticing that, in this batch, the rice flour in the jars, after sterilization, seems to get "mushy" and turn sort of transparent/sort of crystalline-looking. Like salt would look up against the glass. Could I be cooking too long or at too high a temperature? Or is my substrate mixture too wet (using MMGG)?

GT

Anonymous

#67496 - 12/05/99 11:52 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Greetings & Salutations!

Hey! I'm having the same problem, down to the "crystalline-like" mush, and I don't have an answer. However, do you innoculate this mush anyhow? How are the results? The only counter-action I've done is to bore a whole into the substrate and pack it with vermeculite (as per adaptation-20 of MMGG). HOWEVER, I used DRY verm. rather than damp to try and rectify the deluge of the inevitable pressure canner water. Hope this helps?

------------------
"Who is John Galt?"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation