Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Inherently Good Practice
    #6737270 - 04/02/07 06:45 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

There seems to be a lot of relativity in the spiritual path. What is beneficial for one person at one time might be dangerous or impractical for others. I would like to know what most of you consider inherently "good" practices to inquire into, that is anything that you would suggest to any adult or young adult who has shown sign of wanting to take up a spiritual path in life.

For myself, I would never hesitate to recommend inquiry into meditation and hatha yoga. I would be more hesitant to recommend psychedelics to people because I am not experienced enough with them myself, but I would certainly recommend a broad range of reading about the psychedelic experience, as well as books by spiritual teachers that I have found useful (of which there have been many, and I suspect there will be many more). First and foremost would be Ram Dass's Be Here Now - the first part of the book is so easy to relate to for most people in this day and age who wish to look inward; the second section is very interesting (and I'm told amazing while tripping); and the third has more than any other text helped me gain a solid framework for spiritual growth.

Reading in general, from as broad a range of sources as possible, is invaluable imo.

So, what practices and realms of inquiry would you not hesitate to lead a 'spiritual' n00b toward?

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Inherently Good Practice [Re: Lion]
    #6737305 - 04/02/07 07:14 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

> I would like to know what most of you consider inherently "good" practices to inquire into

I'm not certain that I am answering your question, but if I am reading it correctly...

1) Keep an open mind. Remember, nobody can know for certain.
2) Avoid people that say "you" rather than "we". "You are a sinner and only Jesus can save you" rather than "We are sinners and only Jesus can save us".
3) Talk to as many people as possible from as many different cultures, religions, and backgrounds as possible.
4) Be careful of people that are absolute in their beliefs.
5) Be careful of people that create Gd in man's image.
6) Be careful of drugs. Although they can be a great shortcut to "seeing truth", just like any shortcut, one can easily become lost.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #6737319 - 04/02/07 07:24 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Becoming spiritual is also influenced by the life style. To be more exact, you can begin to me more aware and “enlightened” if you follow steps like exercising your memory, exercising your logic, getting enough sleep (yes it has a lot to do because a blurry and tired mind is more vulnerable), taking vitamins, eating healthy and doing some sore of sport, walking, running, etc.
All of these strengthens the self and makes it become more receptive and determined.
For some people it is easier to start from this point and then get in touch with the actual spiritual side, because all of these things seem more “real” for a beginner… the body is the support system for the biological mechanism that allow this higher consciousness the ability to interact with the physical world. The body is a machine. Consciousness is the driver. But the “machine” also needs to be in a good shape.

Then, as you mentioned, meditation, yoga, reiki, all of these come to complete the process.
Reading, as well as any other form of getting informed from different sources is something that does a tremendous help.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: Inherently Good Practice [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #6737334 - 04/02/07 07:31 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomTrip said:
Becoming spiritual is also influenced by the life style. To be more exact, you can begin to me more aware and “enlightened” if you follow steps like exercising your memory, exercising your logic, getting enough sleep (yes it has a lot to do because a blurry and tired mind is more vulnerable), taking vitamins, eating healthy and doing some sore of sport, walking, running, etc.
All of these strengthens the self and makes it become more receptive and determined.
For some people it is easier to start from this point and then get in touch with the actual spiritual side, because all of these things seem more “real” for a beginner… the body is the support system for the biological mechanism that allow this higher consciousness the ability to interact with the physical world. The body is a machine. Consciousness is the driver. But the “machine” also needs to be in a good shape.

Thanks for your contributions, guys.  You both bring up really good points. :thumbup:

ShroomTrip, I have found what you say about keeping the body in shape true.  The effect of regular exercise on mental calm and energy is tremendous.

As for keeping an open mind: easier said than done, IME.  This is something that really needs to be cultivated with practices like meditation, reading, and the responsible use of psychedelics.

--------------------

Invisibleredtailedhawk
Explorer of the Mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: The Old Continent
    #6737527 - 04/02/07 09:20 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I don't think there are any inherently good practices out there. As you discovered yourself what is beneficial for one person might be dangerous or impractical for others.

I would personally hesitate to recommend meditation practice to everyone, since it has be shown (as discussed in one of the recent threads here) that it might be harmful to certain individuals who lack healthy ego development and grounding in consensus reality. I was thinking about recommending 'compassion' but then again people with weak boundaries, co-dependency issues and passive-aggressive anger management styles would probably more benefit from assertiveness training.

So, I think we should treat spiritual practices as we treat medicines and recommend them in the same way. The type and dosage should depend on the disease and not on some inherent goodness of the particular medicine.

--------------------

"Who are you who live in all these many forms? You're death that captures all. You too are the source of all that's gonna be born. You're glory, mercy, peace, truth. You give calm a spirit, understanding, courage, the contented heart."

Invisibleredtailedhawk
Explorer of the Mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: The Old Continent
Re: Inherently Good Practice [Re: redtailedhawk]
    #6737543 - 04/02/07 09:28 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Changed my mind. I would recommend taking long walks in nature. That's the only spiritual practice I would recommend to all.

--------------------

"Who are you who live in all these many forms? You're death that captures all. You too are the source of all that's gonna be born. You're glory, mercy, peace, truth. You give calm a spirit, understanding, courage, the contented heart."

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
    #6737544 - 04/02/07 09:28 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

redtailedhawk said:
I don't think there are any inherently good practices out there. As you discovered yourself what is beneficial for one person might be dangerous or impractical for others.

I would personally hesitate to recommend meditation practice to everyone, since it has be shown (as discussed in one of the recent threads here) that it might be harmful to certain individuals who lack healthy ego development and grounding in consensus reality. I was thinking about recommending 'compassion' but then again people with weak boundaries, co-dependency issues and passive-aggressive anger management styles would probably more benefit from assertiveness training.

So, I think we should treat spiritual practices as we treat medicines and recommend them in the same way. The type and dosage should depend on the disease and not on some inherent goodness of the particular medicine.

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#6737548 - 04/02/07 09:29 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I'm a bit confused by this. What do you define as consensus reality, and how might meditation negatively affect a person who is outside of its bounds? Do you mean that it might perpetuate delusion or paranoid thinking, or that it might bring out negative character traits? I do not have any lengthy experience with meditation but it seems to me that it brings about a greater understanding of reality.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #6737549 - 04/02/07 09:30 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Loving oneself unconditionally just as you are in the moment. You can't go wrong with this.

Understanding the difference between preference and addiction in regards to suffering.

Making friends with the idea of your personal death.

Understanding you are the one who chooses how you feel about things and that no one (emotionally) can do anything to upset you without your cooperation.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (04/02/07 09:31 AM)

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#6737552 - 04/02/07 09:30 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

redtailedhawk said:
Changed my mind. I would recommend taking long walks in nature. That's the only spiritual practice I would recommend to all.

:smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder