Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinepsychosoma
Stranger
Loc: NM
Shamanic Practice
    #558928 - 02/21/02 07:55 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Hello all,
I am writing in concern of serious shamanic practice with the use of mushrooms.
For a little background information, I am currently studying with a medicine man of the Navajo tribe in NM. I attend peyote ceremonies, sweat lodge, and am in training for the sundance. I am in recovery from chemical dependency, and my religio/spiritual use of entheogens has never been an obstacle to that recovery. It is the context in which the plant allies are used that determines the effects on the psyche of individuals. I am also in the field of drug and alcohol counseling, and have found many clients leave active addiction when at once they apply the spiritual practice of the Peyote ceremony into their lives. Thus it is my belief that a strong spiritual connection could be of prime importance when dealing with the problem of addiction. Not that I am saying that everyone should run out and try to attend the NAC, but each of us has our own path, and should cultivate a relationship with the innerself.
O.K. a little description of my use of Teonanactl...
It is used in a structured context, with ritual objects, and prayers. A purification is first done on the self, then the ally, then the four directions are brought into balance with a calling. Then, a prayer to the spirit of the plant is given, this with an offering of tobacco, and/or food, becomes the appeal for a gentle lesson. After ingestion(usually 5grams dry), I lay down, clse the eyes, and begin to rattle. This I keep up for the duration(sometimes lasting 6 or more hours). Many wonderful lessons, visions, and confrontations with the shadow part of my being take place.
Now upon discussion of this practice with my teacher, a gentle warning was given that I do not know the traditional prayers for this foriegn plant ally, and that what I am doing is very dangerous(which I knew from some nasty confrontations). I was advised to either leave them alone, or find a shaman from the geographical location(amazon) of the ally, one who works with them in a traditional context, and learn the correct way of introducing myself to the ally.
Does anyone out there work in a similar way? Any input would be great, and I would love to share work experiences! I am currently waiting for a friend whom studies with a peruvian shaman to help me with the traditional prayers, so the response is sure to be interesting after she speaks with him.
Thankyou!

--------------------
SOMA

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCuckoosNest
addict
Loc: Northwest (shaped like a ...
Re: Shamanic Practice [Re: psychosoma]
    #559006 - 02/21/02 09:08 PM (22 years, 30 days ago)

POP

--------------------

"...Three geese in a flock. One flew east, And one flew west, And one flew over the cuckoo's nest."
Ken Kesey

Anonymous

#590614 - 03/27/02 12:23 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Hi im from the north east and have been attending sweatlodges for the past two years. This year I want to turn much of my atention to the native american church. I would also like to go on a vision quest. I am leavig for the west coast by the end of this week and would like to know if i can meet with you. Or just point me in the direction of your medicine man. Thanks a lot My mom thinks Im going to be a shaman

OfflineMygnyl
Loc: West Coast
Re: Shamanic Practice [Re: ]
    #591171 - 03/27/02 05:02 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I wish I could become a shaman someday....

--------------------
Mygnyl
*The above post was entirely fictional, and should be regarded as thus.*
------
[blue]Got a question? Check here first![/blue]

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #591582 - 03/28/02 02:29 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

The trouble with trying to find a shaman (or guru or master...) is that there is no objective test. The popular response is "I would know him if I met him." Maybe, maybe not. Many millions are regularly conned by "false prophets".

Unless the shaman being considered shows you some miracle or special power, how would one know if he is genuine? Word-of-mouth and reputation? Van Prague has many thousands of endorsements from well-meaning people, yet he is a total fraud. Remember that poor Third-World Indigenous people are not inherently more spiritual than anyone else and some will deceive to get your money by claiming a knowledge that they do not possess.

Trying to ingrain one's self in another's culture, especially now that those cultures are already polluted with contact from "modern" society does not seem the most direct path.

Try to get together with a like-minded and small group of seekers and teach each other. Form your own "tribe". The mushroom is alleged to be able to teach without the need of an interpretor or go-between.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
    #591622 - 03/28/02 05:33 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

If you are looking for a set of rules for a ritual, or how to spiritual enlightment thru the usage of shrums, I think is the wrong way to approach them, if you really need a ritual, make up one your self, than fallowing some one else?s.
Be spontaneous, put your heart into it, they "will? appreciate more than doing a mindless repetition.
I believe we are all shamans, masters, healers ECT.
We just don't know it yet.
My 2 cents for what it is worth.
Peace

--------------------

Edited by LOBO (03/28/02 05:58 AM)

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
    #591913 - 03/28/02 01:22 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I think your teacher is refering to "territorial spirits". They inhabit geographical areas and what he is saying is find a shaman from the area of the plant you took who knows the "ancient prayers" for talking to the spirits.
Personally, I don't appease these spirits....they can be trouble and can rope you in......with the right prayers though they would cooperate at first, then there will be hell to pay.......

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags