Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
expression vs inspiration
    #6603063 -

expression: an act, process, or instance of representing in a medium (as words) : UTTERANCE
(also) an act or product of pressing out

inspiration: a divine influence or action on a person believed to qualify him or her to receive and communicate sacred revelation b : the action or power of moving the intellect or emotions c : the act of influencing or suggesting opinions


I see/hear so much art that just seems to be "utterance". Like stating the obvious. A man walks into a house full of people and says "hey guys, im here" when it is obvious to anyone with atleast one normally functioning sense that he is in fact here.

I think everyone has a want to make some form of art, but it needs to be inspired, otherwise it is cliche, fluff and self-absorbed output.
I think everyone here has at some point really felt the want to make art, but without any motivation from inspiration... just an urge to express (or rather impress at times).
In my own experience, anything done in this manner, is dispassionate and quite bland.

I hear bands formed on this premise, with their songs filled with "me,you, I, us, we" and rearranged cliches, or art that is someone just scribbling on a canvas.

maybe I have a blinding appreciation for artistic obsessivness, like matthew Barney..... but it seems more valid IMO.

So, now i search for inspiration, and allow myself to be more open to inspiration in hopes that something wows me to the point of obsession and motivation.... rather than try to make something come out of me with no cognition.

I think poetry falls victim to this more than any other art form: people trying to be deep and passionate about their own perception of reality without any catalyst other than the need for expressing themselves.

would you rather read a book written by someone who just sat down and wracked their brain trying to produce something "interesting" or "original" or a book written by someone who was so inspired and obsessed about an idea/object/action that it could seem that they were merely a channel for making divinity tangible?

look at all the concept albums compared to Nickleback songs.

Edited by psilocyberin (02/23/07 05:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: expression vs inspiration [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6603111 -

psilocyberin said:
would you rather read a book written by someone who just sat down and wracked their brain trying to produce something "interesting" or "original" or a book written by someone who was so inspired and obsessed about an idea/object/action that it could seem that they were merely a channel for making divinity tangible?



The latter is a pretty accurate description of Naked Lunch by William Burroughs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: expression vs inspiration [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6603253 -

psilocyberin said:
look at all the concept albums compared to Nickleback songs.



Perfect summation of your post. :grin: :thumbup:


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: expression vs inspiration [Re: fireworks_god]
    #6603329 -

I agree with fireworks_god.

Although, I think that every inspiration has to be expressed. How else will it take form?


--------------------
"You must be the change you want to see in the world." - The trip of a Life Time.

Indra's Net - There is an endless net of threads throughout the universe. The horizontal threads are in space. The vertical threads in time. At every crossing of threads there is an individual. And every individual is a crystal bead. The great light of absolute being illuminates and penetrates every crystal being, And every crystal being reflects not only the light from every other crystal in the net, But also every reflection of every reflection throughout the universe.

-cK

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: expression vs inspiration [Re: ck10n3]
    #6603348 -

of course. Im just saying that expression alone isnt enough to produce a true peice of art. expression without inspiration produces self-absorbed ramblings/drivel.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: expression vs inspiration [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6603400 -

you put it all very well in you're original post. it's all especially true these days where everybody has easy access to the proper tools required, where everything that requires a degree of thought is considered it's own form of art, where art seems to be a slipstream into fame.

it's really fucking sad, how many people I've known who were always so interested in making something to make a statement, clearly for the sole purpose of personal social advancement, whether they were willing to admit it or not (and most weren't). day in and day out people are pumping out the same shit because they see that shit making a success and the talented manipulators behind them gaining popularity.

people have told me they want to begin a revolution with the conviction that it is their purpose in this life, often utilizing propaganda oriented art with empty worn out messages that they were too blind to see. and in the end, this desire was not spawned from inspiration (hope of a better world, a happier people) - it was from a desire to express, solely to mark their insignificant place in an insignificant history book.


--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: expression vs inspiration [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6603422 -

I have a hard time believing how one can write without channeling anything.  It seems to me that human beings are just vehicles for self-expression, whether they are aware of what they are channeling or not. 

I seek to channel when I write, therefore, that's why I'm not writing right now. 

Because it's important to me that my writing is inspired and has a direction to flow.  :tongue:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: expression vs inspiration [Re: MOTH]
    #6603673 -

see, i think there are two types of self expression.....

1) expressing your perception, almost objectively so, like having your perception of reality and then stepping out of it to really examine that and turn it into a tangible thing for the purpose of having others see your perception... a communication if you will.

2) trying to show the world who you are.... which I think is dull and self-absorbed. It is like you think you are so great, deep and artistic that you just have to let everyone know.
Frankly, i dont care who you are... but I do like to see how you perceive things.... well how you perceive everything but yourself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: expression vs inspiration [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6603740 -

I don't know what I really do.

I both love my art (I rarely create it though) for what it is and how it makes me think.

And I love having people admire my art, both absorbing ideas from it, and boosting my ego with compliments.

(if you like my avatar, you could feed my ego with some Shroomery points :smile: )


--------------------
The Mad Shroomer said:
People are always promising the apocalypse. They never deliver. :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: expression vs inspiration [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6603776 -

psilocyberin said:
see, i think there are two types of self expression.....

1) expressing your perception, almost objectively so, like having your perception of reality and then stepping out of it to really examine that and turn it into a tangible thing for the purpose of having others see your perception... a communication if you will.

2) trying to show the world who you are.... which I think is dull and self-absorbed. It is like you think you are so great, deep and artistic that you just have to let everyone know.
Frankly, i dont care who you are... but I do like to see how you perceive things.... well how you perceive everything but yourself.



To your mind, could there be a third type? Channeling from the Void? The Akashic Records? Or whatever plasmic-imaginative focus you choose to pull energy from? Would that be akin to the first example you gave?


Like music, art, or writing. Are you saying there are only two types of self-expression for every form of expression that exists?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: expression vs inspiration [Re: MOTH]
    #6604686 -

I think whatever scenarios you could come up with fall into those two categories.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: expression vs inspiration [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6604917 -

1% inspiration, 99% persperation

Thats so true. No great art is purely inspiration; its fucking hard graft.


--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* a wonderful and very inspiring message exclusive58 650 5 03/09/05 01:57 PM
by Gomp
* Lynn V. Andrews (female Castaneda)
( 1 2 all )
Swami 3,983 31 07/13/04 07:46 PM
by Huehuecoyotl
* An inspiring thread... SneezingPenis 517 1 08/15/06 11:46 AM
by Dark_Star
* H e a v e n chasingstardna 980 12 09/16/03 04:12 AM
by Leonopoly
* Express yourself (II) Syle 896 11 10/29/06 01:45 AM
by Wasteland
* The Good Game (join in) QbanMoJo 1,147 9 12/21/06 08:48 AM
by Syle
* Choices-Inspirational
( 1 2 all )
gettinjiggywithit 2,087 28 05/24/05 07:31 PM
by Huehuecoyotl
* Do we express or supress negative actions? Sinbad 846 6 02/26/05 04:17 PM
by Gomp

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
1,363 topic views. 0 members, 48 guests and 62 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.