Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineexile
Loc: USA, VA
Boiling pot run dry... DRY jars?
    #645932 - 05/26/02 11:31 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hey guys..

While sterilizing, I felt it necessary to have the lid closed the whole time, to ensure proper sterilization. I put in enough water..so I thought, I had two pots going at the same time..identical pots, identical everything - even water ammounts. Well, one pot went dry sometime during sterilization. I don't know how long the jars were cookin with no water, but they look the same as the ones which had water in the pot during the whole process.

Do you think I should even bother inoculating these jars which were cooked with no water for some period of time? There was still steam coming out from a tiny crack in the lid of the pot, so I never assumed they were out of water.

Thanks to any replies - if need-be to resupply moisture, I can inoculate a few cc's more per jar since I have a lot of karo solution. Would that be any substitute?

Exile

--------------------
So long to this cold, cold part of the world.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

Loc: GodsCountry
Re: Boiling pot run dry... DRY jars? [Re: exile]
    #646057 - 05/26/02 01:03 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I boil my jars as well ( hoping to get a pressure cooker for fathers day) i keep some stainless steel screen on the bottom to keep the jars off the pot. do you do something similar a rag are whatnot. if so you don't have to worry about rehydrating the jars even if they lost some moister i don't think it would be a problem. i've boiled my jars up to an hour and a half with no problem.But usually 1hr.-1hr.&15min. Now i usually add water to the pot every half hour and don't count sterilization time untill water starts to boil again.Water boiling while in contact with glass jars= sterilization time. ? is did you sterilize long enough.Don't be afraid
to take the lid off and check and add water if need be just don't count it as time.Don't hit the jars with cold water as they will crack. And check your jars for cracks anyway considering what happened. If your really paranoid about it you might just want to start over i'd do this before trying to misscalculating water content at least you'll REALLY know where your at. hope this helps

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation