Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinequack180
journeyman
Loc: new england
boiling (tinfoil burning)
    #588820 - 03/25/02 09:38 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Right now I'm in the proccess of sterilizing my jars via boiling them with a wash cloth underneath. My question is this; is it a bad thing if the tinfoil is touching the boiling water? it is turning brown/black (probably cuz it's getting burned) and i have not heard any warnings of this, but also have not heard anything about it. Thanks.

--------------------
weed is for smoking

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinequack180
journeyman
Re: boiling (tinfoil burning) [Re: quack180]
    #588824 - 03/25/02 09:47 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

also wondering about the tape over the holes.... oops. did i NEED to do that BEFORE sterilisation? i can i sneak the tape on after the boiling? Am i a failure??? :frown:

--------------------
weed is for smoking

OfflineSpaceCruiser
journeyman
    #588836 - 03/25/02 10:22 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hey bro. I place tape on after boiling. Before or after I don't think its a big deal. Maybe before to prevent water gain or loss. I sterilize my jars in steam not actually in the boiling water. I would watch out to make sure the water is not getting into your uncovered jar holes. As for the foil, no big deal, but if the water level comes high enough for the foil watch out for water entering your jar holes. This would be bad.

Offlinequack180
journeyman
Re: boiling (tinfoil burning) [Re: SpaceCruiser]
    #588838 - 03/25/02 10:29 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Wait- should the water be boiling rapidly? I'm kind of afraid of the jars cracking, so I put the flame on a real low setting- I'm not sure if I'm supposed to gradualy work the flame higher and higher or not, but it's been slightly boiling for a good 45 minutes. THANKS! Forums are such a great help. :laugh:

--------------------
weed is for smoking

OfflinedDigitalPimp
Loc: PA
    #588848 - 03/25/02 10:41 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

the water only needs to be an inch or two in the bottom of the pot. the water should be on a low boil(some bubbles but no where near the max setting of your stove). the way i do it is: start the burner on like the medium setting, and once the water starts to boil, turn it down to low and put a top on the pot. then let the jars steam for about an hour and a half. good luck.

Offlinequack180
journeyman
Re: boiling (tinfoil burning) [Re: dDigitalPimp]
    #588861 - 03/25/02 10:54 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Good, so far anyway- ummmm, when i let the jars cool- i understand not to remove them from the pot- but can i move the pot to sayyy.... a closet? or somewhere other than my kitchen? Also, the lid is semi -tight fitting. I see steam rising out of one side, but there is obviously TONS of steam inside of it. Should i do anything to tamp it down? Should i not open the pot lid ever?

--------------------
weed is for smoking

Offlinequack180
journeyman
    #588877 - 03/25/02 11:23 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

c'mon.... :smile:

--------------------
weed is for smoking

OfflinedDigitalPimp
Loc: PA
    #588953 - 03/25/02 01:50 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

the boiling of jars really isint some exact science that you have to follow and cant deviate from the directions. to answer your questions: its a good idea to leave the jars in the pot to cool down, takes about 5hrs or so (imo). its not a big deal if your lid is a bit off, sometimes, if the water starts to get to high, like bubbles and shit, i put the lid on so a little crack is visable to let some steam out. you are doin fine, just remember to be as clean as possible, and everything will work out ok.

Offlinequack180
journeyman
Re: boiling (tinfoil burning) [Re: dDigitalPimp]
    #588966 - 03/25/02 02:09 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Cool. Very cool. I moved operations up to my bathroom where it's more than sterile enough for when I innoculate. I can't wait two hours- let alone a month! Thanks again and again guys!

--------------------
weed is for smoking

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #589379 - 03/25/02 09:50 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I sure hope that you waited til your jars cooled down before inoculation.
Injecting spores too soon will kill the spores.....wait til the jars cool down.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinequack180
journeyman
Re: boiling (tinfoil burning) [Re: Roadkill]
    #589753 - 03/26/02 08:46 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

oh i deffinetly waited. Approximately five hours- and the jars seemed cool to the touch (me thinks). I'm hoping all works out now.

--------------------
weed is for smoking

OfflineChangLee
enthusiast
    #589791 - 03/26/02 10:44 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Don't take this as a flame...

Observing the frequency of your posts on the same thread, the FIRST thing you're gonna have to learn is patience. If the process is going to take nearly a month before birthing, then WHY would you not let the jars cool at least 12 hours before innoculating?

Jars that are cool to the touch after 5 hours could maybe be hot enough in the center to kill the spores you're injecting.

To address your questions, the tin foil is not burning--it's oxidizing; it's natural and doesn't affect the process.

The water in the pot should reach a height that will:
1. last until the end of the process, and
2. won't boil over onto the jar tops.

If you're not pressure cooking, then the tightness of the pot's lid is less important than the time the jars spend in the simmering water. In other words, The lid can be somewhat loose, but the jars need more time in the pot. Read the teks.

During the process of the jars cooling, they take in air. For this reason the jars should be left in the pot with the lid on, until EVERYTHING is room temperature. It's also for this reason that the tape should be on the jars BEFORE boiling. (nope, you can't sneak it on afterwards) Room temperature means cool to the touch.

Two words for ya. . . . CHILL OUT!!

This mushroom thing isn't rocket science. When new; follow the teks to the letter. . . until you get it right. Only then do you have the luxury of trying to cut corrners.

A word about growing shrooms: Confucious say, "There is no skill more important than the delay of gratification to attain enlightenment."

Learn to wait--

--------------------
". . . and I'm searchin' for the latest thing, a break in this routine--I'm talkin' some new kicks; ones like you ain't never seen. . . . "

Edited by ChangLee (03/26/02 11:04 AM)

Offlinequack180
journeyman
Re: boiling (tinfoil burning) [Re: ChangLee]
    #589916 - 03/26/02 01:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Well- I won't take that as a flame, but it seems you think I didn't read up. All the TEKS refered to me mostly said the same thing- five hours (the longer the better). The reason I didn't leave them overnight was not because of me being impatient, it was because I did not have accesability to the equipment I needed for after that. Since the teks said 5 or 6 hours plus, I somehow concluded that 5 or 6 hours should be sufficient. Anyway, I'll take what you said into consideration next time, but for now we'll just have to wait and see.

P.S. If i was impatient I would not be taking the time that I have researching and asking everyone for their thoughts/suggestions.

--------------------
weed is for smoking

Offlinecgrossoman

#590153 - 03/26/02 05:47 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

you should be just fine if you waited 5 hours, I also boil my jars instead of PCing them due to not have a pc yet this being my 1st go at things i boiled my jars for 2 hours and let cool for 4.5 hours and I also took them outa the pot as well so far 11 jars are 70-80% colonized and one is 99% done! ZERO CONTAMS. im not sure if leaving the jars in the pot to cool would make a big difference for me it didnt but keep in mind i clean the fucking hell outa my work/innoculation/sterilization area (kitchen) and also use everything to be clean as possible - dont worry about the foil thats competely normal.

and good luck man i hope you get some success also just smoke alota weed and time will fly=)

Offlinequack180
journeyman
Re: boiling (tinfoil burning) [Re: cgrossoman]
    #590370 - 03/26/02 09:57 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Word to that. Thanks man- and fuck yea I'm goin to smoke the resta my nugz now. KB of course- ya'll know me!

--------------------
weed is for smoking

OfflineTranceTrippinXTC
THC Mushroom

Loc: Midwest
    #590588 - 03/27/02 01:46 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Kb's are da bomb-diggity.  I would never smoke anthing less :wink: 

OfflineParticleMan
enthusiast
Re: boiling (tinfoil burning) [Re: TranceTrippinXTC]
    #590615 - 03/27/02 02:23 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

just to make you feel a little better, my friend had the SAME EXACT questions when starting up, pf-tek and MMGG somehow did get the message across to me about the tape thing, i wasnt sure either.....and i continue to put the tape on after(or did until i moved to grain), i was told to keep it off or else the jars might break (this may be specific to the PC) so i did. all was well. good luck and welcome.

--------------------

Edited by ParticleMan (03/27/02 04:41 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation