Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Recent finds in New Zealand.
    #6376102 -

These specimens were found in potted plants fruiting from small pieces of buried wood, bark and peat.
Temps ranging between 14-20c.

Cap. 15-30mm in diameter, acutely umbonate sometimes with a sharp nipple, striated margin inturned when young, sometimes uplifted with maturity. Hygrophanous with a seperable gelatinous pellicle, flesh bruising blue with damage.
Stem. 50-100mm long by 2-4mm in diameter, widening at the apex. Fibrillose, often with bluing remnants of a fine cortinate veil, flesh bruising blue with damage.
Gills. Light buff coloured, close, adnate to slightly subdecurrent with age.
Spore print. Colour Dark purple brown, most specimens producing very faint or no print at all.
inski.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: inski]
    #6376120 -

Inski, as I say every time- I love your photographs.  I can't believe this species or multiple species that keeps showing up at your work.  You're damn lucky, but they musta known you had a microscope and interest, and decided to fruit for you.  :wink:  maybe....


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: CureCat]
    #6376126 -

Hey CureCat, thanks :grin:
I really can't believe it either!
Haha, they knew, although I got my microscope after my first finds.
I havn't done any microscope work lately but hopefully will get time soon to have a look at the numerous dried specimens I have stored :thumbup:
inski.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: inski]
    #6376136 -

Any cultivation attempts?

By the way, has anyone at your work noticed you hovering about these little guys, with your camera, and picking?? Any funny questions?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: CureCat]
    #6376142 -

The cultivation attempts are coming along slowly but surely and hopefully will be successfull in the near future.
I keep it very discreet, sometimes buying plants of interest to make collections and photographs!
Never had anyone ask me any funny questions yet, I think I would just tell them that I have a great interest in mycology and was studying them :grin:
inski.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: inski]
    #6376240 -

more nice finds!

Thanks for sharing, I think I may start hitting up the plant nurseries around here more often :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: inski]
    #6376367 -

... :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #6376466 -

haha lucky u! man i wish they would start popping up in my plant pots!

nice pics :thumbup:


--------------------
View My Gallery

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: Mead]
    #6377294 -

Thanks Mead,

I'd love to see peoples finds from similar habitats, more people should start looking in these places.
I would just like to add not all of my finds came from plant nurseries, some of these varieties came up in plants that I had grown at home with store brought soil!
inski.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: inski]
    #6377303 -

Now that is odd. Well, either all or most NZ soil is littered with some unamed Psilocybe spores, OR you're carrying them to your house from work.

I have looked for stuff at nurseries... always Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, nothing else.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: CureCat]
    #6377325 -

Yes it is a bit odd, I think maybe I am dispersing the spores due to my interest in studying them closely :laugh:
I have also found the Leucocoprinus bimbaumii and deadly Galarina sp, but most abundant are these unidentified active Psilocybe sp.
inski.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: inski]
    #6378117 -

It's not only a phenomenon of that nursery. A nursery here in Nelson NZ also has many similar shrooms popping up, and I've also seen them at a nursery in Dunedin.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: zee_werp]
    #6378199 -

nice pics


--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: inski]
    #6378226 -

Interesting and very pretty.


--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: zee_werp]
    #6378291 -

You're right zee_werp, I know of three or more plant nurseries where these are abundant, I think the horticultural practices used for propagating plants provides a favourable environment for these species to thrive in.
Do you have any images of the ones in Nelson and Dunedin? did they look similar to my finds, they seem to have a lot of variation in macroscopic details!
inski.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: inski]
    #6378312 -

Quote:
I know of three or more plant nurseries where these are abundant, I think the horticultural practices used for propagating plants provides a favourable environment for these species to thrive in.



Many commercial nurseries either make, or buy potting type soil.
Often, rotted horse/cattle manure is added as a nitrogen source.

It seems possible, "potting soil" may or could be the common thread.

Often, at the rear or isolated edges of commercial manure/hay/ organic debris piles, or in area soil around them that is/was enriched with manure, P. Cubensis will grow (if native to the region).

It seems possible a facility like that, might be spreading the magic.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: agar]
    #6378342 -

One thing I have noticed is huge piles of peat which seem to be colonized with mycelium that has the unmistakable smell of psilocybin mushrooms!
I think these species will become quite common in the years to come because of this phenomenon :thumbup:
inski.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: inski]
    #6378352 -

More likely COIR, than peat.
At least, I would think.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: agar]
    #6378362 -

It is either sedge peat or restiad peat dug from ancient peat bogs here in NZ!
inski.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recent finds in New Zealand. [Re: inski]
    #6378366 -

inski said:
It is either sedge peat or restiad peat dug from ancient peat bogs here in NZ!
inski.



Mycelium would not ordinarily colonize PEAT. :confused:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Most recent finds (pics) koraks 3,082 14 09/29/03 02:50 AM
by koraks
* recent find. need id please cik 2,061 17 08/27/02 07:53 AM
by Mitchnast
* Help ID pics*recent find from Chehalis Ice House Shaman 1,079 1 10/14/03 10:09 PM
by canid
* recent aussie (nowra) pickins hudsonismss 2,768 7 04/08/02 02:14 AM
by GGreatOne234
* New Zealand mushroom identification
( 1 2 all )
nOs 9,598 25 02/08/04 01:27 AM
by Zen Peddler
* Possible Ps. caerulipes find (pics to come)
( 1 2 all )
Lizard King 9,112 28 08/21/03 12:20 PM
by Snobrdr311
* Maryland find Needs Id. philo 2,496 7 06/17/03 01:23 PM
by Gumby
* New Zealand @cro 2,432 13 02/10/04 02:33 AM
by Zen Peddler

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
4,466 topic views. 0 members, 26 guests and 59 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.