Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBBC
Stranger
Male
Loc: uk hampshire
cakes and wick systems for better yields
    #6348221 - 12/08/06 02:46 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Ive seen experiments over at mycotopia where cakes have been drilled and filled with water (like a well) and the shrooms seemed to grow prolifically around the area. I was wondering if anyone had experimented with wicking material (there are certain materials used in hydroponics) used as a ground mat for cakes or even as a ground layer for substrates, which the mycelium can wick moisture from for maximum yields?

--------------------
Blooming Buzzing Confusion

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGrogan
Shroomieologist
 User Gallery

Re: cakes and wick systems for better yields [Re: BBC]
    #6348253 - 12/08/06 02:58 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Verm??!

--------------------
"Maybe a cow occasionally ate a shroom, but it certainly wouldn't be such a potent shroom that the cow would be trippin balls. " LOL

Offlinetotal
Post Office Tyvek Advocator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cakes and wick systems for better yields [Re: Grogan]
    #6348267 - 12/08/06 03:04 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Seems feasible...I saw some pics here the other night where a member had shoved straws into the top of their cakes and filled'em up w/ h2o...pretty lookin cakes...lemme tell ya...

Offlinexeallos
Sore wa himitsudesu!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Woods of a Thousand Y...
Re: cakes and wick systems for better yields [Re: total]
    #6348292 - 12/08/06 03:10 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Indeed, look at the "Largest Yield" thread located right on the front page still and you will see these methods described. One member uses a sharpie and then fills the resevoir with dry verm and waters with syringe, another had "straws" inserted and referenced as "jack in the box", which I found hilarious. Looks interesting, for sure.

OfflineBBC
Stranger
Male
Re: cakes and wick systems for better yields [Re: Grogan]
    #6348298 - 12/08/06 03:12 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

yeah lol, i was thinking of other stuff like that wicking mat material used for hydroponics if anyone had experimented with another moisture absorbing material? i was thinking a sheet of wicking material could be cut to size and laid in a tray and the cakes or substrate could sit on top.

--------------------

Edited by kandahar (12/08/06 03:13 PM)

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: cakes and wick systems for better yields [Re: BBC]
    #6348329 - 12/08/06 03:25 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

as long as you strike a balance, it can work

moisture is obviously an important necessity, but it is also possible to water-log cakes.  they become mushy and soggy, sometimes contaminate, other times have difficulty fruiting; you'll see fat stubby mushrooms that seem to grow wider rather than outward...

feel free to put some creativity towards the task, but there is a pretty simple and effective way to go about it within any PF grower's reach, and how i always did my cakes:  take a jar lid, both pieces (the ring and lid) and turn it upside down.  now you're looking at a little bowl... fill it level with some moist vermiculite, and set the cake on top of it like a pedestal.  voila.  it won't waterlog the cake, and you can squirt water into the verm with a dropper or a syringe during the cropping cycle to replenish what the cake absorbs..

a few cakes done in that manner... wish i had some pics still handy of more mature ones, but it was common for them to reach 6-7" in length and weigh 15-20 grams wet on the average.  you'll also see the edge where the cake sits atop the verm makes for prime pinning.  i was never a fan of rolling which is why you'll notice all my pins form on top or the bottom edge there... a dozen or so healthy pins is about all i want out of a half pint cake personally, sure you can encourage more by rolling but the end result is a bunch more smaller fruits, not necessarily more yield... i'll take fewer but larger fruits personally. :wink:

the problem with cakes isn't so much moisture delivery though.  its limited nutrition.  its pretty easy to hit theoretical max efficiency on a cake as long as you don't mind waiting through 4-5 flushes to get it, and take the time to dunk in between.  if you come up with a good moisture delivery system, you're not going to necessarily get better yields in the end (since again there's only so much it can possibly do) but the benefit would be getting your yield out quicker, in say 2-3 flushes instead.  when you see pictures with enormous flushes on cakes, it does make for good pictures, but understand that's the cake blowing its wad all at once and they likely didn't get very good subsequent flushes afterwards - but its the way to go if you want your yield NOW rather than waiting a few flushes to get it.  so its a tradeoff to consider, any method you apply will incur additional costs, namely materials and your time in prepping - but if that's worth it to you to get cakes moving in and out of your FC faster, then hell by all means :thumbup: 

its my personal opinion to keep it basic for cakes, if your goal is higher yields, focus your creative ideas on higher yielding methods. :smile:

Offlinetotal
Post Office Tyvek Advocator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cakes and wick systems for better yields [Re: creamcorn]
    #6348354 - 12/08/06 03:35 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

very well put cc...

OfflineBBC
Stranger
Male
Re: cakes and wick systems for better yields [Re: total]
    #6348366 - 12/08/06 03:38 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for writing that out, it makes a lot of sense.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures