Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleYachaj
Stranger
Loc: Planet Earth
Spore germination Mexicana A
    #629783 - 05/13/02 10:55 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

In April I received a mexicana print which was obtained in Amsterdam, labeled as MushMush Psilocybe mexicana.

Print was dark and looked OK - but it was very frustrating to discover that the print was made on flimsy paper. Which made it very difficul to get some spores off. Why not use a microscope slide or tinfoil or some other smooth 'scrapable' surface. Furthermore the print was not folded, but open in a zipock baggie, with the spores in full contact with the probably not sterilized inner side of the baggie.

First attempt to germinate spores resulted in bacterial contamination (as expected). But never mind, it is a real opportunity to test purification techniques.

So with great difficulty I was able to scrape another speck from the dark print (along with a fibre of the paper. I will not repeat the words I spoke here, but pleeaase do not print on moisture absorbing paper. Especially not with good dark prints of difficut to obtain species).

The agar plate was placed in a vertical position this time. During three days, sterile water was dropped (from an ey dropper) on the spores. Once a day. This washed the bacteria down and fluffy white mycelium grew up . Immediately after I discovered the white fluffy stuff, I removed some of it with a needle and placed it on a second agar plate. On top of the mycelium I placed a tiny block of agar, knowing that mycelial hyphae are able to penetrate agar from the bottom up while bacteria are unable to do the same. So after two days, the mycelium appeared on top of the block, I scraped some off and transfered it to yet another plate. CLEAN! Pheew!

I thank MushMush highly for this opportunity to test my purification skills so I do not complain. But a next time I would prefer a properly wrapped print on a not absorbing surface. This is a request to other vendors too!

Yachaj

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Spore germination Mexicana A [Re: Yachaj]
    #629786 - 05/13/02 11:10 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

>with the spores in full contact with the probably not sterilized inner side of the baggie.

The small bags are sterile.

I received my fist mexicana print also from MushMush, streaked the spores on agar and they grew contamination free without problems.

I prefer glas slides for taking prints too over paper, if I take them for my personal stock.
But if I have to ship them, glas slides break just to easily.

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Re: Spore germination Mexicana A [Re: Anno]
    #629911 - 05/14/02 03:38 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I agree - the slides I received (back in the day) did arrive broken (2 out of 3), but I made viable syringes from all 3 glass prints I received. I use tinfoil for my own, and have found them easier to work with during the printing and syringe making processes. For ease of use, I really prefer tinfoil for printing & making syringes. I do usually take the extra step of putting each print in it's own little baggie. However, I am still a pre-agar cultivator, so I might find a better method down the road, when I upgrade my "trailer park" glove box...lol.
Oops...no offense to anyone living in a trailer, I've lived in them myself.

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
Re: Spore germination Mexicana A [Re: Yachaj]
    #630193 - 05/14/02 08:39 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

>But a next time I would prefer a properly wrapped print on a not absorbing surface.

I too e-mailed MushMush about this, after my friend received a print, there were more spores in the baggie than on the paper! It must have been very badly handled in transit. MushMush were very cool about it, and sent replacement for free
The prints are useable, but if paying good money for one, its annoying to have a bag of spores instead of a print.
IMO foil is best, or a folded print second.
Mushmush's excellent product (large, dark, sterile and very fresh) made up for this.

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace
Re: Spore germination Mexicana A [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #630242 - 05/14/02 09:03 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Tinfoil all the way. PLaying cards work too.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale