Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Hiking Pack
    #6268614 -

I was thinking about asking for a hiking backpack for christmas. I don't know too much about them so I'm looking for some advice. I am a begineer hiker, so keep that in mind. I want something that's going to last but I don't wanna spend too much. I'm looking for something maybe $250-$300 range. Where should I start looking? What brands are good quality? What brands should I avoid? Any help would be great. Thanks.


--------------------
All the people you knew were the actors

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hiking Pack [Re: FunkyLoFi]
    #6268624 -

Backpacker Magazine has a great gear review guide on it's www site plus a great forum where I'm member, you can get a cheap subscription off ebay as well.

http://www.backpacker.com/

and ebay sells it for $2.99 a year I just started getting it for my girl because she kept stealing mine. one of my favorite magazines wish I had the time to read it front to back every month.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hiking Pack [Re: FunkyLoFi]
    #6268676 -

Depends.. personally I'd go for a smaller lightweight pack but you'll need some lightweight gear. (tent etc)

Something like this perhaps http://www.greatlakesoutfitter.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=114

http://www.mysteryranch.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_3&products_id=12

Granite gear also makes some pretty good stuff - http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/navpage/index.html


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hiking Pack [Re: FunkyLoFi]
    #6268729 -

i'm a firm believer in external frames. everybody (especially sales clerks) will try to convince you otherwise, but in my mind, the breeze that you get between your back and the pack itself alone makes the choice a no-brainer


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hiking Pack [Re: Krishna]
    #6268861 -

So what kind of bag are you looking for? A day pack, something you can do an overnight hike in or, a big bag for a week or even more?
what size?
Osprey is a good brand. Go to REI or some outdoor store and kinda just browse. its hard to really trust some people at those stores, they kinda just wanna make a sale sometimes..
With that price range you can get a sweet bag.


--------------------
God says dance with your heart
And shake free of you desire

Where theres a will theres always a way
When you get confused listen to the music play


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hiking Pack [Re: FunkyLoFi]
    #6268864 -

I like Gregory packs a lot. Mac Packs are good also. Don't go cheap, it's deffinately worth all the money you spend on a quality pack if your going any kind of distance. Make sure the waist band is well padded as well as good lower back support. My advice is to go into a good out fitter and where they know their stuff and have a good selection. Try on packs, figure out which one feels best, and is well suited for your travels. Then check out prices online and order because it might be cheaper.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hiking Pack [Re: FunkyLoFi]
    #6271954 -

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/
this is the best site for deals on gear
i got a lowe alpine 40 liter climbing pack for 60$ when it should have been 120$


--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hiking Pack [Re: 5150]
    #6272087 -

yea, remeber atleast 75% of the wieght is supposed to be on your hips, not your shoulders
so getting a pack that fits you right is the only way to go


--------------------
God says dance with your heart
And shake free of you desire

Where theres a will theres always a way
When you get confused listen to the music play


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hiking Pack [Re: Bikerfool]
    #6272099 -

I'm with Bikerfool on the Gregory packs. I've had a few packs and my Gregory has been far superior to others.

Your best bet is to go someplace like REI and find a salesperson who is knowledgeable about packs to help you try on a few and find the one that best suits your needs and fits well. Then go home and search for that exact model to buy online. You'll almost always save money buying online but you need to try them on first and get the right fit and style to suit your needs.

edit: Don't forget to put some weight in the pack when you are trying it on. I've used 4 or 5 coils of climbing rope to wieght down a pack while in the store. But anything that you can stuff in there to add some weight will help you find a pack that fits right. An empty pack won't help.


--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Edited by ToTheSummit (11/11/06 01:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hiking Pack [Re: CerebralFlower]
    #6272172 -

Great info guys thank you!

Most of my hiking experience so far has been setting up camp, hiking out and back to camp in the same day.  My goal is to hike in for several days to a week and be comfortable doing so. 

I know I will need lighter gear as well...I am going to use my tax return check for that most of that.  But since my parents usually drop around $200 on me for xmas, figured it would be a good thing to ask for.

I will take your suggestions and head to REI or similar and start trying on some packs. :thumbup:


--------------------
All the people you knew were the actors

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hiking Pack [Re: FunkyLoFi]
    #6272355 -

If you go on any cool treks, be sure to let us know in The Great Outdoors forum. There are some real outdoor enthusiasts on this board.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* advice on traveling/hiking?
( 1 2 all )
DistortedEyes 3,575 22 03/04/06 04:03 AM
by shnakboozy
* Cold, Rainy Hike dblaney 1,045 8 10/22/05 10:55 AM
by Shroomism
* Hiking Boots
( 1 2 3 all )
Supernova 4,987 46 01/03/05 09:33 PM
by beejay
* Lightweight Meals?
( 1 2 all )
Maverick 2,535 21 01/14/07 02:27 AM
by Shroomism
* My weekend adventure - hiking and motorcycling the best of Oregon - tons of rad pics! Grok 2,869 15 10/14/07 08:23 AM
by Merkin
* Gregory Isaacs died KillerSpores 710 11 10/25/10 08:23 PM
by 4runner
* I've hiked over 25% of the Appalachain Trail
( 1 2 3 all )
Adom 3,141 49 06/03/06 06:41 AM
by Brainiac
* Hiking Trip to the Adirondack State Park,,,, pics.... andrewss 891 8 06/12/08 12:00 PM
by andrewss

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
828 topic views. 2 members, 5 guests and 220 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.