Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineblacktarropium
journeyman
Loc: va
casing help for a first timer ?
    #618352 - 04/25/02 01:41 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

this is my first casing and first attempt at growing ,three days ago i cased with a 1.5 in layer of damp perlite on the bottom 1inch layer of damp verm then four crumbled cakes (b+)about 1 in , then a 1inch layer of damp verm . it is set up in a fish aquarium , i didnt use a tray , i just used the whole bottom surface of the aquarium , my first question is , will the set up work ok , on the third day , (today) about 4 spots have grown through , so my second question is should i cover them up so the rest of the casing can catch up or should i just wait ? any suggestions will be apprecianted , thanks in advance

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
Loc: Pangea
Re: casing help for a first timer ? [Re: blacktarropium]
    #618385 - 04/25/02 02:20 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I never worry about growth breaking through early. Worry when the casing is getting covered by massive amounts of mycelium which starts to look dry and water resistence can be seen by beads of water accumulating on the mycelium. My only suggestion woul be to not pack down the top casing layer. Key it uniform in height, but not consistency. I like to have a very rough looking casing with lots of pockets and ridges, and so on. This creates good little caves or sublevels where my mycelium likes to pin up and grow upward. Just a thought.

--------------------
"It's so obvious it's hard to understand."

OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
Loc: Pangea
    #618386 - 04/25/02 02:20 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I never worry about growth breaking through early. Worry when the casing is getting covered by massive amounts of mycelium which starts to look dry and water resistence can be seen by beads of water accumulating on the mycelium. My only suggestion woul be to not pack down the top casing layer. Key it uniform in height, but not consistency. I like to have a very rough looking casing with lots of pockets and ridges, and so on. This creates good little caves or sublevels where my mycelium likes to pin up and grow upward. Just a thought.

--------------------
"It's so obvious it's hard to understand."

Offlineblacktarropium
journeyman
Re: casing help for a first timer ? [Re: TrippingBillies]
    #618397 - 04/25/02 02:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

thanks, anybody els?

--------------------

OfflineIowa Rasta
enthusiast

#618491 - 04/25/02 04:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

dont worry about it i never cover up spots the pop up before the others so if you would want to sure cover it up but if i were you i would just keep a watchful eye out for contamination thats my two cents

--------------------
http://go.to/freesporering FSR all the way
"Crobih is my Founder of the Shroomery"

Offlineseattlekid
Stranger

Re: casing help for a first timer ? [Re: Iowa Rasta]
    #618507 - 04/25/02 04:54 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

yeah id say the same thing...don't worry about the few high spot of growth...unless it gets out of hand. If it starts to take over the whole surface you should probably check your air exchange and humidity levels. My friend had a huge probably with overlay and solved it finally by switching over to a cool mist. Sounds like your on the right road...probably just a few more days till you start to see pins!!! Just out of curosity...what kind are you growing?

--------------------
Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.

Offlineblacktarropium
journeyman
Re: casing help for a first timer ? [Re: seattlekid]
    #619360 - 04/26/02 01:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

right now im growing b+ . i already have already ordered thai ks and tasmanian the problem is that i dont know witch one to try next . any suggestions ? , also i thought that my casing would only pin after i exsposed it to light , after a recovery period in the dark , im i wrong?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation