Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDankVudu
dank's 'Tastee Case' tek
    #395431 - 09/15/01 10:04 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I have been using this tek for several years now, and it has never failed me. The ice cream pails can be found in most major grocery stores. Sometimes, you will see the 4 quart pails. These will work, however, I do not suggest you use them, as they are not as big, and signifigantly hamper the height that your fungus fruits can grow to. But, if you can't find the 5 quart pails, they will work just as good if you do not mind having some twisty mushrooms. Also, you don't necessarily have to use 3 cakes. This is the maximum I would suggest in a 5 quart pail though, as any more will reduce the amount of growing space your muhsrooms have, and possibly force them to curl around. Thereby reducing the potential visual glory of a fully matured and upright fungus fruit. What you're doing with this tek is combining your casing container and terrarium at an extremely low cost(I've never paid more than $4 for 5 quarts of generic ice cream). And it's free if you like ice cream.

Supply list:

5 quart ice cream pail(be sure you have the lid that comes with it)
Duct tape
Vermiculite
H2O(tap water works just fine)
3 Colonized half pint cakes

Instructions:

1 - Wrap a layer of duct tape(or something that will block light)around the bottom half of your pail. This is to keep your mushrooms fruiting towards the top.

2 - Spread a thin layer(1/4 inch at most)of dry vermiculite onto the bottom of your pail.

3 - Crumble your colonized substrate into chunks 1/2 inch in diameter. Layer the chunks over the dry vermiculite. Be sure to make the layer as even as possible. Also, fill in any gaps between the chunks with smaller chunks of substrate. What you want is for the substrate to look like one big flat cake.

4 - Mix some vermiculite and water together in a bowl. The vermiculite needs to be pretty soaked but, if you have water pooling in the bottom of the bowl, you used too much water.
Add more vermiculite to compensate.

5 - Spread the wet vermiculite over the substrate in a layer around 1/2-1 inch thick.

6 - Place the lid on the pail, and set the pail in a warm dark place for a couple days, to allow the mycelium to reestablish itself.

7 - Drop the temperature of the pails by 10 degrees, and begin exposing them to several hours of light every day. Fan out the pails with their lids 2 or 3 times a day. If you notice that the walls of the pail do not have water droplets on them, give them a nice mist whenever needed do not mist the casing layer once you see mycelium poking through. Instead, mist the walls.

8 - Within a week you will see mycelium poking through the vermiculite. You want all the mycelium to poke through at the same time to achieve even pinning. You can do this by covering the first spots of mycelium that poke through with a VERY thin layer of wet vermiculite. That way, it all bursts through at the same time.

9 - Continue fanning, and mist as necessary. You should harvest your first flush in 2-3 weeks from the time pinning begins.

10- Once fruit formation slows, you have reached the end of the first flush. Fill in any holes in the vermiuclite with fresh wet vermiculite and continue the fanning/misting process. Your casing should begin flushing within a week. You should typically harvest 6 grams of dried fungus per cake, over the 3 flush period.

thoughts/suggestions welcome

dank

Edited by DankVudu on 09/16/01 02:16 PM.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnimalChin

Loc: US of A
Re: dank's 'Tastee Case' tek [Re: DankVudu]
    #395766 - 09/16/01 01:49 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

A little late, sorry. But what kinda yields do u normally get from that ( dry weight)

" Who among us has not snuck into the break room for a Love Newton?"

--------------------
A Bird in the hand is Dead.

OfflineDankVudu
Re: dank's 'Tastee Case' tek [Re: AnimalChin]
    #395826 - 09/16/01 03:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

The first time I used that method, my entire harvest was one flush, in 3 huge mushrooms. One shroom weighing 15g, the other weighed 20, and the third monster weighed 22g fresh. That would be around 6g dry weight, in one big flush. That was a freak occurence though. I usually harvest around 3g per cake on the first flush, then 1-2g more on the second and third flushes. On average, this equals 6g dry per cake.

Edited by DankVudu on 09/16/01 04:39 PM.

OfflineAnimalChin

Loc: US of A
    #396045 - 09/16/01 07:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry to post that q... didn't see the answer on the original post until just now.

" Who among us has not snuck into the break room for a Love Newton?"

--------------------
A Bird in the hand is Dead.

OfflineBrugman
antisobrietarian
Male

Loc: the land up over
    #396229 - 09/16/01 11:05 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

WOOHOOO!
danke, dank!!
sweet.
*runs to grab a icecream pail*

...I guess they don't recycle pidgeons.

OfflineDankVudu
Re: dank's 'Tastee Case' tek [Re: Brugman]
    #397265 - 09/18/01 01:26 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

heheh, brugman... I went to DCC that to you and you disapeared right after that... ah well, at least you found it!

whoom--whoom--whoom...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation