Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineVlad_
Stranger
Does glycerine work?
    #6020162 - 09/01/06 11:16 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

To extract psilocybin from dried mushrooms?
Has anyone tried anything with it?

I don't want to use [m]ethyl alcohol to extract and don't like to evaporate solutions. I also don't want to consume alcohol extracted psilocybin without fully drying as I don't like alcohol.
So I was thinking glycerol would be neat - it's also an alcohol, doesn't make you drunk, good nice sweet taste, good extraction solvent, and is used to preserve plant material just like common alcohol.

Btw I also have pure diethyl ether and acetone, could I use these to directly extract psilocybin from dried mushrooms?

I have phosphoric acid as well - would this convert psilocin into psylocybin during extraction? I suppose but I never tried so maybe there's x-factors involved?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Does glycerine work? [Re: Vlad_]
    #6024975 - 09/03/06 03:32 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

the best use for glycerine is as a lubricant - if you're constipated, 10ml will grease your insides nicely, let the waste slide through.

to me it looks like you have lots of good ingredients, hopefully a chemist will advise which order you use your chemicals.

--------------------
buh

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Does glycerine work? [Re: Vlad_]
    #6026984 - 09/04/06 06:22 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

No, it won't work. At least not very well.

> I don't want to use [m]ethyl alcohol to extract

That's too bad because that's the best extraction solvent to use. Nothing else will give you as good of yields.

> and don't like to evaporate solutions.

That's kind of the basis of extractions!

You can extract the actives into a solvent, but without evaporation, boiling, or some sort of distillation you're not concentrating the product. You would end up with a larger volume and lower concentration than when you started.

You could perhaps use glycerine, but it would take a lot longer and would not be as effective. It would also be impossible to concentrate.

You could take an alcoholic extract and then remove the alcohol from it with the glycerine. That would be the only way to make a decent glycerine based extract. It would be quite wastefull of time and money IMHO.

Ether is non-polar and so will not dissolve any actives. Acetone is dipolar and aprotic so I don't think that will dissolve anything either. I could be wrong about that though. Maybe someone could clarify that.

-FF

OfflineTamadragon
Stranger
Male

Loc: CAN
Re: Does glycerine work? [Re: fastfred]
    #6029747 - 09/04/06 11:20 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i doubt it. i think that it would be too bulky. what would be the point . and ya i agree, methanol is toxic (and dangerous to work with, ie breathing the fumes is bad and they could start a fire) and i think alcohol doesn't work the best due to the high water content.

--------------------
~Tama

Peace

I get real lonely

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

Re: Does glycerine work? [Re: Tamadragon]
    #6158884 - 10/11/06 05:32 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

You know they use gasoline on coca.
Would that be any better or worse?
It would evaporate extremely fast, yet you'd
run the risk of having an oil petro residue, maybe.
But maybe that could be removed with an additional flush with another type of alcohol. If that is, you were wanting to get a higher yield.
Or as an alternative use Everclear, 100% ethyl alcohol.

--------------------
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse, if you wanna ride, ride the white pony

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: Does glycerine work? [Re: AcidHorse]
    #6158945 - 10/11/06 05:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Why does everyone have such a problem with evaporation? It can be as easy as leaving the lid off the jars for a few days.

A simple fan blowing over a jar would be fine. Diethly ether has a boiling point of 37C or there abouts - which is pretty damn low. Just do the methanol extraction and quit wussing! :laugh:

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Does glycerine work? [Re: Feelers]
    #6160783 - 10/12/06 03:51 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Don't use gas as an extraction solvent. #1 It won't extract the actives and #2 it's about the dirtiest solvent I can think of.

Using your own urine would both extract better and be safer to consume. Just to be clear though, I'm not advising using urine as an extraction solvent.

-FF

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology