Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFrappy
Strange

Loc: South Florida
Kratom plant. Pictures and questions
    #5944553 - 08/08/06 05:41 PM (12 years, 15 days ago)

Ok, so its been a while since I've posted pictures of my kratom plant. He's been a little neglected lately. I've been battling scale. I recently found a product called Organocide (obviously an organic pesticide) which has gotten rid of the little scale insects stealing nutrients from the plant, while leaving round scabs near the bases of new growth and causing leaves to fall off.

Many months ago it also lost many leaves due to under-watering, which is partially due to the lanky structure of the plant. I would like it to grow out more bushy with more leaves and less long branches.

Obviously it also needs to be re-potted. The plant is much to big for the pot its in now. I would also like to make some cuttings while the humidity is high this time of year to improve the chances of survival.

The plant:

Bad pic, but if you look closely you can see scabs on branch bases, left by insects:

Basically, I was wondering which of the following things I should do and in what order to get the plant back to good health:

1. Continue application of Organocide for 2 weeks until fully recovered.

2. Trim lanky branches to stimulate new growth. Which branches?

3. Repot the plant into a bigger pot.

4. Make cuttings while humidity levels are high.

5. Remove scabs left by insects or not?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDelta9Hippie
Traveler
Male

Loc: Spaceship Earth
Re: Kratom plant. Pictures and questions [Re: Frappy]
    #5944750 - 08/08/06 06:50 PM (12 years, 15 days ago)

If there are no bugs left, you might wanna hold off on the pesticide. Try making some cuttings, they usually take 2 weeks in awesome conditions, so be a little bit more patient than with herbs. If you trim/clone, make sure you leave at least one node/apical bud site left on the branch so it can still grow (it seems some already triggered secondary growth on the lower branches). definetely repot, I have mine in 2 and 3 gallons. Also, a good root stimulator should be used, I find that especially helps the plants get boomin all around. Leave the scabs, or you'll risk infection by re-opening the wounds. Other than that your leaf color looks healthy, maybe just a little small on the optimum size, you might want to use an organic Nitrogen fert in your water, like fish emulsion, for a few weeks every watering to really get that growth booming. Did you grow that from seed or cutting?

--------------------
"During evolutionary time, the avenues of possible progress have become progressively restricted, until today only one remains...Man...has been suddenly appointed managing director of the biggest business of all, the business of evolution."

Life begins the day you start a garden.

Check out my trade list in My Journal...

OfflineFrappy
Strange

Re: Kratom plant. Pictures and questions [Re: Delta9Hippie]
    #5950649 - 08/10/06 03:43 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Thanks for the reply. The plant was grown from cutting, not seed.

The bugs seem to come back a few days after application of the Organocide, yet the bugs are fewer in numbers. Some leaves also have brown spots due to the bug dammage. I haven't been saving the fallen leaves for tea, due to the use of organocide, plus I'm not so sure if it would be safe for ingestion after the bug infestation. At least until its healthy again, right?

Can you recommend a brand of root stimulator?

OfflineDelta9Hippie
Traveler
Male

#5954087 - 08/11/06 04:54 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

I used a "safer" bug/fungi spray on my plants one day, and I came back the next day and they'd been half-way destroyed by the spray, since then I've only used neem oil, or tobacco/pepper spray.

For Root stimulator I use the product by Green Fuse, which is the only organic root stimulator I've found, and it works very well with daily applications, they also have an awesome growth stimulator too that makes the plant put out lots of new growth.

Hope the guy gets buff. You still plan on transplanting I take it?

--------------------
"During evolutionary time, the avenues of possible progress have become progressively restricted, until today only one remains...Man...has been suddenly appointed managing director of the biggest business of all, the business of evolution."

InvisibleEbb
Rasta Pasta,with mushrooms
Male

Loc: in your cochlea
Re: Kratom plant. Pictures and questions [Re: Delta9Hippie]
    #5954394 - 08/11/06 06:34 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

woah that thing looks noodly.

--------------------
I'm not foreign so don't hang up on me.
:crankey:

OfflineFrappy
Strange

Re: Kratom plant. Pictures and questions [Re: Ebb]
    #5958406 - 08/13/06 06:13 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Yeah, I know it looks noodly. Thats why I'm asking about the best way
to fix the problem.

I actually started out with neem oil, but it didn't do any good at keeping the bugs away. If I had given up with it a long time ago, perhaps I would have had several extra branches left compared to the condition the plant is in now. The organocide seems to be working. but still needs re-applications regularly. Are Organic pesticides(Organocide) safe to ingest?

I do certainly plan on transplanting it into a bigger pot. Its just a matter of finding time to get to a gardening store.

I will look into Green Fuse root stimulator. Have you ever used it on a Kratom cutting?

OfflineDelta9Hippie
Traveler
Male

#5958585 - 08/13/06 10:24 AM (12 years, 10 days ago)

I wouldn't ingest anything with any kind of pesticide on it, I would actually flush any kind of plant prior to ingestion for a week at least. As far as Green Fuse goes, I've used it on all my kratom plants during transplanting for a couple weeks. I would suggest transplanting that guy sooner rather than later too. Hope all goes well.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden