Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLizard_King12034
Ride My See-Saw
Male
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Guitar.
    #5900066 - 07/25/06 10:30 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I was wondering if anyone who plays guitar well could talk to me on AIM about it. I really want to improve but I am just stuck. I can't stick with one thing. Can anyone help me? Just message me at Lizard King12034.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA Flag
Re: Guitar. [Re: Lizard_King12034]
    #5900085 - 07/25/06 10:35 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

what do you need help with... i mean its kinda hard to give someone a lesson over the internet with any video

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

Invisibleking_cobra
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5900091 - 07/25/06 10:35 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

what do you mean you can't stick with one thing?
do you know theory? chords? scales?

--------------------

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Re: Guitar. [Re: king_cobra]
    #5900099 - 07/25/06 10:38 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

yea, i mean i taught myself.. just a little help from some friends occasionally.. but yea, learn as many chords as you can.. the learn as many scales as you can... then go to town and rock out

practice is key...

--------------------

OfflineLizard_King12034
Ride My See-Saw
Male
Re: Guitar. [Re: Infrared]
    #5900146 - 07/25/06 10:46 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I know Theory some what. What I mean as I can't stick with one thing is, I find a song, play it a little, then assume it's too hard for me and quit. I know this is something you guys might not be able to help me with. Another thing I want to do is learn to Improvise but I need help to get started.

--------------------

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

#5900175 - 07/25/06 10:51 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

well thats your problem.. your giving up way to easily.. stick with the song, may take you a little bit to get it down good..

improvising is probably what im best at.. cause i dont have any formal training. and didnt study much theory.... its really easy once you get 'the feel' .. anyone who plays guitar knows what im talking about.. you play alot your hands just feel so comfortable on the strings, they move without you having to even think..

--------------------

Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Guitar. [Re: Infrared]
    #5900985 - 07/26/06 03:01 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Infrared said:
well thats your problem.. your giving up way to easily.. stick with the song, may take you a little bit to get it down good..   

improvising is probably what im best at.. cause i dont have any formal training. and didnt study much theory.... its really easy once you get 'the feel' .. anyone who plays guitar knows what im talking about.. you play alot your hands just feel so comfortable on the strings, they move without you having to even think..

I'm entirely self taught and have been playing for just about 6 years.  The majority of my playing time is spent improvising.  It's what I live to do with the instrument.  Earlier this month I injured my hand and couldn't play for 3 weeks and I went nuts, just everything mental out of whack.

Pick some songs that ARE outside of your abilities.  Don't worry about learning a song and then giving up, or even part.  Just keep playing-- you will eventually come back to these songs and they will provide a path to your next big wave of inspiration and improvement.  But I do recommend that you settle on some.  Learn them all the way through.  SLOWLY.  Deliberately.  Definitely take some time and run around, but learn the songs thoroughly over time.

For improvisation...start with one note.  Just one note.  I mean it.  Play only one note.  Play rhythmically.  Wiggle and massage that note.  Grab it and bend it up-up-up and then let it back down.  It's like meditation-- focus only on that one note and you'll eventually get into it.  Faster and faster each time, until soon, you spontaneously jump up or down to another note to fill in the melody.  Play two notes.  Back and forth.  Play patterns.  Play one of them loud and one gently.  Then, by all means, just play randomly or strum chords or whatever.  That's just an invaluable exercise.  Take the time to play along to some of your favorite songs.  Make up solos or just play the notes that sound right.  Make sure you're always in tune (at first).  You need to develop a good ear for pitch if you want to improvise skillfully. 

Hmm...when you break a string, don't change it immediately.  Play for a few days without it.  You'll be amazed at how this forces you to change the way you play and approach the guitar.  When the string returns, see how well you can incorporate it into the patterns you found with just the other strings...

Play daily.  That's about it.  Don't feel too bad if you take a break.  I stop for a week every now and then, sometimes more.  I once took an entire summer off to break some bad habits.  Oh yeah-- enjoy yourself! 
:wink:

Edit: one more thing that just came to mind...I have a pretty good natural sense of rhythm and timing, but I still play with a metronome occasionally.  It can be tedious at times, but its really important to have that sense.  NOTHING kills a jam worse than someone that can't keep the rhythm and tempo for the space.

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

Edited by toastandjam (07/26/06 03:06 AM)

OfflineLizard_King12034
Ride My See-Saw
Male
Re: Guitar. [Re: toastandjam]
    #5901827 - 07/26/06 12:38 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Wow. Thanks alot. Thanks all of you. This really helps a lot.

--------------------

InvisibleMike_yy
Male User Gallery

#5901892 - 07/26/06 01:09 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

That sounds like good advice !
I'm exactly where lizard_king is at, only ive always used guitar pro to learn any songs.
I can play some fairly complicated stuff but my improvising ABSOLUTELY sucks.
I have this habit of only picking out chords and i can NEVER find a decent pattern to pick.
Everything i play sounds repetitive after abit !

Ive been playing for nearly 3 years.

InvisiblezSDMF
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: lost in nothing Flag
Re: Guitar. [Re: Mike_yy]
    #5901936 - 07/26/06 01:34 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

k3y=time

if you let a chunk of wood and 6 pieces of metal whip your ass you aren't gonna get anywhere with it. consider the guitar your worst enemy every day and just kick it's ass daily.

that's kind of lame but i heard dimebag say it once in a mag wayyy back and i took it to heart

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom