Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: DXM

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Japan Govt. to Ban Sales, Poss., of Magic Shrooms
    #582018 - 03/18/02 07:42 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Translated and compiled from various Japanese Newspapers by Akira Natchi. March 18, 2002

Gov't to ban sale, possession of "magic" mushrooms

Monday, March 18, 2002 at 09:30 JST
TOKYO

The Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry has decided to ban the sale and possession of mushrooms containing narcotic elements, in accordance with the Narcotics Control Law, ministry officials said Sunday.

The fungi, dubbed "magic mushrooms," have gained popularity among young people as a so called "legal" drug. The ministry plans to revise relevant laws to designate the mushrooms a raw material narcotic source under the
law, after hearing opinions from the public by the beginning of April.

The ministry aims to eventually classify all such mushrooms, which contain hallucinogenic ingredients psilocybin or psilocin, as narcotics and also ban the import, cultivation and advertisement of such mushrooms.

Due to a bizarre legal twist, psilocybin ? the chemical that gives the fungi their "magic" properties ? is currently illegal, but the mushrooms themselves are not.

Extracting narcotic elements from such mushrooms is already prohibited under the current law, but the sale or possession of the mushrooms themselves is not subject to the law, and is generally overlooked by authorities in
Japan.

As a result, the mushrooms are commonly sold in stores, on the street and via the Internet. They can be dangerous when taken in large doses, with
the majority of people who overdose suffering symptoms such as vomiting and numbness in the extremities, said the officials, adding such symptoms are seen especially among teens and those in their 20s.

According to the ministry, at least 11 types of such mushrooms grow wild in
Japan, and two of them are confirmed to be widely distributed. In addition, some imported mushrooms such as from the Netherlands are also seen in the market.

Drug control is so strict in Japan that even some over-the-counter foreign cold medicines such as Sudafed are routinely seized by customs officers because of the stimulants they contain.

Currently, dealers walk a fine legal line. Although they cannot be arrested for possession of the mushrooms themselves, they are sometimes nabbed for other violations, such as selling pharmaceuticals without a license.

Mj

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Post deleted by Anno [Re: mjshroomer]
    #582026 - 03/18/02 07:52 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineRoger_irrelevant
War's boring,change thechannel!

Re: Japan Govt. to Ban Sales, Poss., of Magic Shrooms [Re: ]
    #582043 - 03/18/02 08:27 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

They can be dangerous when taken in large doses, with
the majority of people who overdose suffering symptoms such as vomiting and numbness in the extremities

Ooohh nasty stuff then :crazy: Definately cause for criminalization!

But seriously it sounds like they are talking about alcohol. And Psilocybin a narcotic...Sheesh *slaps forhead*
Sometimes I wish I could just turn on the world, everyone at once, then mabye a few more people would understand...probably not though.

--------------------
We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams...

OfflineRoger_irrelevant
War's boring,change thechannel!

Re: Japan Govt. to Ban Sales, Poss., of Magic Shrooms [Re: ]
    #582044 - 03/18/02 08:29 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

OOh B5 reference!
Might dig out a vid later :smile:   

--------------------
We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams...

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
Re: Japan Govt. to Ban Sales, Poss., of Magic Shrooms [Re: Roger_irrelevant]
    #582134 - 03/18/02 11:02 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

From all the studying i ve done I believe the write up to be inaccurate. Correct me if I m wrong but I thought it was not possible to overdose on shrooms.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Japan Govt. to Ban Sales, Poss., of Magic Shrooms [Re: SouthernGent]
    #582172 - 03/18/02 11:47 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Southern Gent, People can overdose without dying.

The biggest problem in the consumption of psilocybian musrhooms lies inthe amount of the dosage.

An apple can od someone if they eat twenty pounds of them.

An amount over 20-30 milligrams is toxic to the body when taken in excess. This does not mean that the person will die.

People can overdose on any substance they intake if the amount is more than their bodies can handle.

To die from psilocybine you would have to eat your body weight in fresh mushrooms or approx. 19 grams of the actual chemical.

Of course you could die eating more than ten pounds or so of many kinds of foods.

mj

And for Japan to clasufy it as a narcotic which actually comes from the Greek Root Word narcos which means to induce sleep. This is what a narcotic does.

Shrooms (Psilocine and /por psilocybine) do not make one sleep, although the trytamines are great relaxants per se. So to classify it as a nacotic is incorrect. Some sharp attorney could probably beat something like that in a courtroom.

mj

mj

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
Re: Japan Govt. to Ban Sales, Poss., of Magic Shrooms [Re: mjshroomer]
    #582334 - 03/18/02 02:40 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the clarification John. Something tells me I wont be eating over 200 pounds of shrooms anytime soon..LOL

--------------------

Offlinehippy_lettuce
enthusiast
    #583764 - 03/20/02 12:17 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, when did they say they were going to be illegal? i'm going to visit Japan in late July, damn, oh well, I'm sure there will still be many things interesting to do, I can't wait, been waiting for this trip as long as I can remember.

--------------------
F.B.I. got a file on me, set all drug offenders free...

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #590541 - 03/27/02 01:00 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

"Drug control is so strict in Japan that even some over-the-counter foreign cold medicines such as Sudafed are routinely seized by customs officers because of the stimulants they contain."

Sudafed contains pseudoephedrine, a stimulant that the Japanese government has outlawed because stimulants, especially speed, are the most widely abused drugs in that country (after alcohol, of course). Ironically, you can buy codeine cough syrup OVER THE COUNTER in Japan and really get yourself shit-faced on it. Ever nation has its own demons, and for some reason pseudoephedrine freaks the Japanese out even more than codeine. Go figure.

I've lived in Japan for almost four years, and contrary to popular belief both inside and outside Japan, it is a drug lover's PARADISE. Shrooms are legal (not for long, though, it seems) and Japan produces (or imports, I don't know) some of the purest, most powerful methamphetamines and MDMA in the world. They have great acid, too. They have some pretty fucked up shit called "shabu" as well which is some special kind of refined speed that I think you smoke--I've never tried it, but this stuff is supposed to be evil. Speed in general is the most popular drug there, quite fitting for a nation of workaholics.

Ironically, the legal shrooms there are very weak and overpriced. To achieve, say, a Level 3 trip you have to pay around $35. Average folks there also have no idea how to cultivate, as there is no Japanese version of The Shroomery and they're used to just being able to buy them on street. After this they might start getting interested in cultivation. There's a huge, untapped market just waiting for vendors out there.

The misinformation reflected in this article is amusing. "Narcotics," "overdose," my ass. It's too bad. The Japanese have been friends of fungi for centuries, unlike, say, the English or the Irish. For hundreds of years they've known about something called "waraitake" or "laughing mushroom," so named because once ingested they triggered laughing fits and mild hallucinations--sounds a lot like our good friends the psilocybins. They never made ritual use of it the way the mesoamericans did, but they've known about these beauties a lot longer than Europeans have. It just shows how easily people can forget what they once knew.

OfflineSpringbok
enthusiast
Loc: Ehime, Japan
Re: Japan Govt. to Ban Sales, Poss., of Magic Shrooms [Re: EchoVortex]
    #617094 - 04/24/02 07:43 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, what a bummer. Now I have to set up an operation here. You are right on about the speed here. Hard core. DC and Amsterdam has nothing on the Osaka speed scene.

--------------------
---------------------------------------------
"What does it all mean, Mr. Natural..?"
- Art Crumb

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: Japan Govt. to Ban Sales, Poss., of Magic Shr [Re: mjshroomer]
    #617101 - 04/24/02 07:54 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

De ja vu, I think I read that somewhere before a while back....? Hmmm. Anyways, that sucks. In the words of Bill Hicks "It grows naturally, how can you make nature against the law? That's like saying God made a mistake...."
I bet Hicks is turning in his grave, again.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: DXM

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience