Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Loc: Michigan
Position of jars during incubation
    #580563 - 03/16/02 12:14 PM (22 years, 8 days ago)

I see some pics where the jars are stored lid side up and others where the lid side is down in the incubator. I am using some jars with plastic lids from Micron Magick with the 3/8 or so hole in them with a filter disk and others with just the band and filter disks. Is one way better than the other in terms of positioning?

Six

--------------------
Peace
Six

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
Re: Position of jars during incubation [Re: sixpac440]
    #580619 - 03/16/02 01:55 PM (22 years, 8 days ago)

it really dont matter, ppl flip the jars when growth has stalled to release CO2. too bad you bought those lids for 10 bucks! i bought some from him too, then found the same lids 8 for 2.50!! all you have to do is drill holes.

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Re: Position of jars during incubation [Re: pleezr]
    #580691 - 03/16/02 03:56 PM (22 years, 8 days ago)

Hi pleezr, your Roadkill?s bud right? Maybe not. Road is a good man, no question!

Yeah I am familiar with the reasoning behind flipping jars ect. I was just wondering if when starting them off one way as opposed to the other helped colonize faster, more evenly whatever. Just trying to optimize my system. Lots of experience out there, I was just trying to tap into some of it.

So where did you find the lids for $2.50 homeboy?! C'mon, clue me in! I have a whole Tool Room at my disposal to put holes in them! Could do it with my Craftsman 1/2" but what fun is that when you can get your hands on a Carlton 24" column radial drill! Kinda like mouse hunting with an elephant gun. :smile:

I don?t really see any difference in colonization speed between using the plastic with a filter disk and using just the band with a filter disk. The difference I do see is the plastic lids are loosened allot easier. The bands seemed to almost seize on the jar with a disk, that and I had 2 filter disks rip using the band. Never happened using the plastic.

Peace
Six

--------------------
Peace
Six

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
    #580786 - 03/16/02 06:24 PM (22 years, 8 days ago)

right :smile: 

just leave the jars with lids up through colonization.  i really never ever flip them.

well i got the lids from fred meyers, a store in the NW, they are accually BALL brand and the same exact ones micron has.  where are you located?  im sure most bigger chains of grocery stores will have them.  try wal-mart they have thee biggest selection of jars and lids anywhere, cheapest too :smile: BTW how did you inoculate with only 1 hole in the middle?  im going to drill 4 holes in my plastic lids and use them to be rid of my rusty metal lids.

yeah dude, craftsman are great tools.  i just bought a big ass craftsman mechanics tool set its like 500 pieces or so.  got no power tools though. craftsman.........GOOD

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Edited by pleezr (03/16/02 06:31 PM)

Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Re: Position of jars during incubation [Re: pleezr]
    #580837 - 03/16/02 07:54 PM (22 years, 8 days ago)

I live in Michigan. Funny you would mention a place called Fred Meyers. We have a 3 or so state chain called Meijers (pronounced meyers). It is owned by Fred Meijers.

>>>BTW how did you inoculate with only 1 hole in the middle?<<<

I used Roadkill?s advice. Works the same with either a band or plastic. I of course pressure cook with a filter disk. To inoculate I spray the air, the jar and my hands with Lysol as well as take all the necessary precautions for inoculation. I also rinse my hands in rubbing alcohol. I remove the lid; the disk conforms to the shape of the jar mouth fairly well and stays on the jar. I put my hand around the disk and jar at the threads and inoculate in 4 points. I then put a new disk that has been sprayed with Lysol on the old disk (now there?s 2 on the jar) and put the lid back on. The 2nd disk seals the holes I put in the 1st disk. I didn?t tape the hole in the plastic or the open area in the band on this batch of jars to see if there is a difference. They are colonizing faster! I didn?t use tape this time because the Micron Magick site "how to" section never mentioned it, that and it seems to me the disk is useless on a sealed jar. I am hoping I wont need to loosen the lids (possible contams) to dump the Co2, just flip them and let the disk do its job. I keep the jars in a Roadkill suggested incubation chamber. Temps range from 82' F to 85' F & humidity is 85%. Water doesn?t condense on the incubation lid and drip on the jars.

Yep, I will replace the bands with plastic next time around for shure.

Peace
Six

--------------------
Peace
Six

Edited by sixpac440 (03/17/02 12:13 AM)

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #580887 - 03/16/02 09:00 PM (22 years, 8 days ago)

hi.....Six

Yes... Pleezr and me are friends. :smile:
Probably going down to see him tomorrow...lolz

You want to have the jars sitting right side up......til they are pretty well colonized.
Because if you flip them upside down too soon....your Dry Verm will get wet.... not a good thing.

You really should leave the tape on the holes of the jars unless you have higher humidity in your incubator.....the jars might dry out at 85% humidity... but i'm not sure...maybe someone else will comment on this.....since my humidity is 98 % in my incubators.

You actually might try an experiment.....tape half the jars and don't tape the other half and see what happens.

I don't flip my jars til the mycellium is almost 90 % colonized.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Re: Position of jars during incubation [Re: Roadkill]
    #581220 - 03/17/02 09:16 AM (22 years, 7 days ago)

Well Roadkill I gotta say your right about the dry verm barrier needing to stay dry to do its job. Maybe people who have them lid side down aren?t using a barrier. I am so I will keep them lid side up till they need to be flipped if ever.

As far as the tape goes during incubation I had a discussion with Anno about this and I know you value his opinion above ALL others. For my particular setup the only thing that deviates from his advice is my humidity. His exact words were:

"The incubation chamber doesn?t have to be humid. If it?s 50-70%rh that?s humid enough."

Mine is at 85%. With the way we do our chambers I cant see how to lower it and maintain 83' F in a closed environment. Our chambers are almost identical to Anno's recommendations found here: http://www.fungifun.org/pf/incubator.htm . So far the jars without tape at 85% humidity are kicking ass. I will monitor them for any problems for shure.

And a quick shout out to Anno, you really do know your stuff, thanks!

Six

--------------------
Peace
Six

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #581879 - 03/18/02 12:20 AM (22 years, 7 days ago)

Yes Anno is the next best thing to Apple pie, Mopars, and free meals found on the side of a road !!!! :wink: 

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Re: Position of jars during incubation [Re: Roadkill]
    #581926 - 03/18/02 01:38 AM (22 years, 7 days ago)

Free meals by the side of the road? Smells like........ROADKILL! Get it while its fresh!

Six

--------------------
Peace
Six

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates