Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerobinhood
Stranger
Jar sterilizing tek? too confusing!
    #578029 - 03/13/02 05:03 PM (22 years, 20 days ago)

I read the archives from the last two weeks and I find too much confusing and conflicting opinion on the sterilization method.

In the past I have gone by the book (either PF TEK or whatever that other popular one online is) and used the method with a foil layer over the mouth of the jar, followed by verm on top of the foil to act as a barrier to the air after innoculating, and then finally lids on top of that with holes, untaped, and the rubber facing DOWN.

Now, I got mixed results with this, I will admit, but there were other factors. I just want to know what is wrong with this method and why I should try a different one. Should I be taping holes during sterilization (but wouldn't that cause a pressure problem?), taping during incubation (gas exchange prob?).

My other question is, if I have lids left over from prior cultivation, and they were sterilized with the rubber down (hence, meltage), will they be ok to use again and still get a tight seal? I've never read that people use new lids every time?

All help is much appreciated!

Ooodalolly,
Robin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinedDigitalPimp
Loc: PA
Re: Jar sterilizing tek? too confusing! [Re: robinhood]
    #578073 - 03/13/02 06:02 PM (22 years, 20 days ago)

>foil layer over the mouth of the jar, followed by verm on top of the foil to act as a barrier to the air after innoculating

you got it mixed up, after the subtrate you put a verm layer then put the lids on and foil to cover the whole top of the jar.

foil shouldnt be in the sealed jar, thats probablly why you got mixed results.

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: Jar sterilizing tek? too confusing! [Re: dDigitalPimp]
    #578105 - 03/13/02 06:53 PM (22 years, 20 days ago)

My friend has never stopped using the old fashioned method which works great for her every time and is very easy.
1. Load your jars halfway up with substrate.
2. put lids on loose with rubberside UP
3. Pressure cook as normal.
4. Then in one quick pass, barely lift lid and squirt 1cc spore water in.
5.tighten lid
6. shake jar .
7. Put in warm dark place.
8. Loosen lids.
9. Leave alone for a week.
10. Check them and if you see signs of white, shake once and put back until fully colonized.
:smile:bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

OfflinePapa_Bear
M-M GOOD!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado
Re: Jar sterilizing tek? too confusing! [Re: robinhood]
    #578169 - 03/13/02 08:12 PM (22 years, 20 days ago)

Sounds like you are using the Ramsey's Seal method..
http://www.shroomery.org/findorgrowthem.php?View=docs&doc=67... This works OK for PF tek....fill jar with substrate up to treads... apply foil seal..try not to compress substrate...fill remainder of jar with verm......Baby uses micron disk....apply lid with rubber seal UP....screw down lid... anther layer of foil (you can tape over holes if you have them)..PC for 1-1 1/2 hours.. Let cool.......innocculate through your inner foil and vermic. seal........Good luck!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags