Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshroomerman
dopaminecatalyst

Loc: florida
27 jars sterilized, one question though...
    #1015450 - 11/02/02 11:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, I'm hoping for better results than last time, but I may already have fucked something up, please tell me. I made BRF with a coffee grinder and using organic brown rice. I also used some regular BRF. 23 jars have verm too, and 4 of them I deviated from the tek and left out the verm so I could just eat those cakes.

So anyway, I used distilled water rather than tap like last time, and pressure cooked at 15 for an hour after the control jiggled. I did the layer of dry verm on top.

Problem is, it was late, and I was barely keeping my eyes open during the sterilization, and so when the hour had passed, I simply turned off the heat and wen't to bed. Now, the jars that had sat on the bottom layer, have the bottom third of the substrate changed color. This would be where the water level was. Is this a serious issue? I believe I may have "carmelized" the bottom third of the jar? So, should I re-do those jars, or is that not too big of a deal? I don't wanna waste spores, but if it's no big deal then I'd rather not re-do them.

On a second issue, I have to make my own syringes.( It's so easy to get 10cc syringes...just go to a pharmacy in a town that has lots of cows and horses, and tell them u need them for printer ink refills. )So now I have syringes and needles still in the sterile pack!! :cool:

Anyway, what I did is,  I just put my syringe water in one of the jars and sterilized it with a new lid and everything. Once I get sterile innoculating conditions, I'm gonna scrape the print into the jar. Then make my sterile syringes. Sounded better to me than boiling shot glasses in a microwave and shit. This way should work fine right?  :smile:

Thanks everyone... :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

--------------------
"Someone please help me stop laughing!!!"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: 27 jars sterilized, one question though... [Re: shroomerman]
    #1015493 - 11/02/02 12:13 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

everything sounded good except the color changes
Quote:

Now, the jars that had sat on the bottom layer, have the bottom third of the substrate changed color. This would be where the water level was 

You should always have something inbetween the jars and the bottom of the pressure cooker so that they are not exposed to the metal bottom of it.  You also want to keep in mind that if they are in the water, there is a good chance that water is splashing into the jars, which isnt good either.  The other jars sound like they should be sterile.  Make sure to flame your syringes good before innoculation to be strile, but the dry layer usually protects against most contams when using PF tek.
About the syringes, what i do is boil pure water for about ten minutes and suck up BOILING water into however many syringes i will be needing.  Then flame the tip, just to be extra strile.  Let them cool and you have the precise ammount of water for each syringe and its sterile.  Just my method  :wink:
Best of luck bro!

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Offlineshroomerman
dopaminecatalyst

Re: 27 jars sterilized, one question though... [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #1015512 - 11/02/02 12:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hi, thanks. However I think you misunderstood a few key points. First, I did have something under the jars...the metal "plate" that came with the canner for that purpose. Also my jars were fully sealed with new lids and bands, no foriegn water got IN the jars. The question hinges on the fact that I let the jars just sit in the canner to cool after sterilizing, and now the bottom of some of the jars have changed color, because of sitting for an extended length of time in the hot water at the bottom of the cooker.

These jars are definately sterile, but are they ok to use even if some of the rice may have COOKED or whatever on the bottom? :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
    #1015548 - 11/02/02 12:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If it was cooling down i dont think u really have a problem, although i thought that pressure cooker time for 1/2 pints PF style were around 20 minutes @15 psi. This may have somthing to do with it, Is the jar changed colors or is the rice changed colors, and to what degree did the rice change color?

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Offlineshroomerman
dopaminecatalyst

Re: 27 jars sterilized, one question though... [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #1015592 - 11/02/02 12:45 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

ya, I upped the canning time to an hour based on prior recommendations. I had been having a lot of contams. the bottom third of the substrate is darker not the glass on the jars. I cleaned the outside of the jars to be sure of this. Thanks a lot, I'll let u know what happens. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: 

--------------------

Offlinedrenaline
shroomitist

Loc: A Moon of Jupiter
    #1015675 - 11/02/02 01:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I think you might have gotten water into your jars during canning...this would mean that the bottom part of the jars would be darker because the water would collect down there.

In reply to:

and 4 of them I deviated from the tek and left out the verm so I could just eat those cakes

If you dont have any verm in the jars, I would be surprised if you get any colonization. Mycelluim needs porosity in the media to be able to grow. If you have just straight BRF, it would be too compacted and the mycellium will have a very difficult time colonizing it.

Edited by drenaline (11/02/02 01:28 PM)

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1015698 - 11/02/02 01:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I am still a little confused, did you poke holes in your lids prior to sterilization? If I were you, I would still inoculate the discolored ones, spores are really not that hard to come by, especially if you go to the spore exchange forum.

Oh, like ^^ said, I'd be suprised if you get the jars without verm to colonize. If you do, I think it may take FOR EV ER.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlineshroomerman
dopaminecatalyst

Re: 27 jars sterilized, one question though... [Re: Skikid16]
    #1015750 - 11/02/02 02:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Wooooh!  :cool:I'm high. :grin: Just chopped my males yesterday and those leaves stink to high heaven and are potent plenty enough to smoke.  :tongue:Can't wait for the buds.  :grin:

oh :shocked:

wait :blush:

this is the shroomery.  :grin:ok, um ya listen up (blows a trumpet.) :grin:

The jars are pressure canned and now are vacuum sealed :smile:. They were canned like anything else you might can. :cool: The holes will be punched at the time of innoculation with a sterile icepick dipped in alcohol then flame sterilized. :laugh:

You could tell by some scum on the outside of the jars where the waterline was. :wink: The WATERLINE on these jars MATCHES the DISCOLORATION. :smile: No water was ever able to enter a jar with a lid screwed on tight.  :laugh:These are self sealing jars. :grin:

Secondly, the BRF I used for the verm-free jars was coarse and home ground and not packed in AT ALL.  :smile:There ae pleny of empty pockets in those cakes for the myceillium to move around. :grin:

I thank you for your inputs, what do you think will happen (if anything) when the mycillium hits the further cooked portion of these jars?  :confused:Peace. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:   

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1015760 - 11/02/02 02:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well it will probably stop growth once it hits the over cooked part. Be extra sterile when punching the holes because your jars will suck in air like bob Saggot trying to get some money for crack. I suggest wrapping whatever you will be punching the holes with in an alcohol soaked paper towel. Good Luck, I think you may need it in this experiment. Next time try sterilizing your jars for less time, the last batch I did was the first time I tried PF cakes in the PC. I cooked them for 40 minutes, and not one jar has gotten contaminated and all are nearing 100% colonization.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation