Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemrdasani
enthusiast
EMERGENCY! Constant 1 Pint Jar failure! What 2 do?
    #562671 - 02/25/02 04:15 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

A foaf has 24 one pint jars. He has done the process over 4 times now, and either the jars never show any signs of mycelium growth, or show a small (size of a coin) ammount of colonization. This is after 2 weeks from the innoculation. Substrate is a variety from the PF tek, to birdseed + verm and birdseed + brf + verm.

I want to know which of your friends of friends had sucesses with one pint jars, and why it doesn't work for my foaf. My foaf has an incubator as well. The subsstrate made was good to go, pressure cooked and sterilized completely, no sgins of contamin . But some bacterial contamin still show.

These failures are discouraging my foaf because he usually sees one or two jars or fully colonization. He is going to give up soon because of these problems.

Someone please help this guy, he has to toss out 20 pints of junk and is very pissed off at his failure.

--------------------
"Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!" - Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here 1975)

"Never underestimate the power of denial." -from American Beauty.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesillvyr

Loc: under a tree
Re: EMERGENCY! Constant 1 Pint Jar failure! What 2 do? [Re: mrdasani]
    #562688 - 02/25/02 04:32 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Stop using 1 pt. jars and start using 1/2 pt. The 1 pt size is too big, takes too long to conlonize and consequently is more time for contamination to get a foothold and take over. 1/2 pt wide mouth are reccommend beause they are small and take less time=healthy, happy cakes.

--------------------
The "Little Mushrooms" are but emisaries to the Overmind.....

Invisiblemrdasani
enthusiast
    #562695 - 02/25/02 04:37 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

From what my foaf hears of birdseed teks , the alien tek and other teks. The total colonization time from 1 pint jars is 2-3 weeks. Not only that...there are people that use quart jar teks. Now how is it possible that these guys can do full quarts of substrate and come out sucessful? They shake the jars. My foaf has also tried shaking. No help from that experience either he says.

--------------------
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!" - Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here 1975)

OfflineOdhinn
Re: EMERGENCY! Constant 1 Pint Jar failure! What 2 do? [Re: sillvyr]
    #562696 - 02/25/02 04:38 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i use 1/2 pt, but i see no reason your 1pts contam easly. half of my 1/2pt did not germinate and had no growth for 3 weeks and then i decided to reinnoculate in my room (dirty as hell and with no burner, only lysol). now they are growing like mad and none of my jars show any contams, i think its somthing else, ie dirty jars, improper starlization, lawn gnomes etc etc  :smile:

jsut my 2 cents

--------------------
horse poop = goood

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #562709 - 02/25/02 04:45 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

dude!
get your damn millet outta the jars and kick your 'slight modification' to the pf tek and use something that works. if you dont want to then yeah just go ahead and give up. im looking for some more 1pint jars so if youre done ill take them off your hands.
your ONLY problem is moisture content; because your ratio's are off because youre fucking w/ the mixture. its your choice tho; but i tell ya with 20 pints of cubensis/BRF cakes and a bale of hay you can be one motherfucken happy ass mycologist.
heres your new work log:
fuck the millet
learn
grow mushrooms pf tek
learn more
learn about millet
attempt millet
probably fail millet again; but at least you still have some shrooms growing
eventualy you will succeed.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Invisiblemrdasani
enthusiast
Re: EMERGENCY! Constant 1 Pint Jar failure! What 2 do? [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #562715 - 02/25/02 04:52 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I didn't mean that my foaf would completely give up everything. Hes going to give up making new jars for a bit of time. But what hes gonna do is try timothy hay . He bought a very large bag of this hay. Although it is going to be a little difficult from what hes heard.

Back to the jars: My foaf had made 5 jars that were straight out of the pf tek and they are not showing signs of any growth. It has got him awfully pissed off. The sad part is, every time he sees a failure, the next time around, it has not been corrected so its possible to happen again.

Oh yea...I totally agree with you on that mixture of different teks. my FOAF finally understands his major fuck up as the moisture level being way off. Like lets sy if he decides to put some verm into his brf and seed mix. He has either too much water or too little. But it looks okay sometimes. So he is going to follow the teks straight through from now one, and hes gonna stop being a creative little cook with substrate. Thanks!

--------------------

Edited by mrdasani (02/25/02 04:55 PM)

Offlinefresh357
addict

Re: EMERGENCY! Constant 1 Pint Jar failure! What 2 do? [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #562719 - 02/25/02 04:54 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

you just have to up your sterilization times, millet + 1 pinters= you need an lot of time and psi in the cooker.

but marx is right too...dont put all your hopes on one substrate. Why dont you reserve some jars for only BRF just in case if you still insist on using that substrate.

OfflinePapa_Bear
M-M GOOD!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado
    #563290 - 02/26/02 03:16 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Don't mess with the mixtures when doing some of these techs.. Even though some are not very specific on amounts they work! Start slow!!!!! Take your time, Keep it CLEAN. Patients. .Baby has been trying to grow for some time now and each step gets a little easier. She has 5 Quart jars of Birdseed with EQ's and B+'s going and only one has contaminated so far after 3 weeks with 50% colonization... She PC'd 4 jars of Rye with EQ's and B+'s and has not contaminated after 2 weeks 25% colonization. She prefers the RYE much easier to work with. Pint jars = 1/2 cup rye- 1/2 cup spring water-dash of chalk- PC'd for an hour...works every time....Do you use filter disks? Do you clean the jars throughly? (Bleach, Alcohol, Lysol, HOT soap n water) Go over your process and refine from your mistakes. Good Luck!

OfflineZorba
journeyman

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
    #563313 - 02/26/02 03:43 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

what temp are you incubating at? I had very slow growth my first time until I got a heating cable and put it under the incubation chamber. The jars took off after that. They would probably need to be in a pretty cold place to get what you're describing though. I also agree with starting with PF tek to the letter if you're having problems - and you are.

Good luck

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation