Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

Men hallucinate after eating fish
    #5535361 - 04/19/06 08:36 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Men hallucinate after eating fish
April 19, 2006 - practicalfishkeeping.co.uk

Rabbit fish are one of several species of fish known to cause
hallucinatory fish poisoning, but the problem is very rare outside
the Indo Pacific.

Two men have suffered terrifying visual and auditory hallucinations after eating poisonous fish in Mediterranean restaurants.

According to a clinical study on the patients, which is due to be published in the journal Clinical Toxicology, the men started seeing and hearing terrifying things after contracting a rare form of hallucinogenic poisoning from the fish they were dining on.

Ichthyoallyeinotoxism, or hallucinogenic fish poisoning, is caused by eating the heads or body parts of certain species of reef fish and has previously only been recorded from the Indo Pacific.

The effects of eating ichthyoallyeinotoxic fishes, such as certain mullet, goatfish, tangs, damsels and rabbitfish, are believed to be similar to LSD, and may include vivid and terrifying auditory and visual hallucinations. This has given rise to the collective common name for ichthyoallyeinotoxic fishes of "dream fish".

Pommier and de Haro of the Toxicovigilance Centre Antipoison at Marseille's Hospital Salvator, who undertook the study, said that the men had both eaten a fish called Sarpa salpa, and subsequently suffered from CNS disturbances including terrifying hallucinations and nightmares.

One of the men, a 40-year old, was admitted to hospital suffering from a digestive problem and terrifying visual and auditory hallucinations, which took 36 hours to disappear. The second man, a 90-year old, suffered from auditory hallucinations a couple of hours after eating the same species of fish, followed by a series of nightmares over the next two nights.

The poisoning can start to cause vivid hallucinations within minutes of eating a poisonous fish and may last for days, often with no other effects. There is no antidote.

Ichthyoallyeinotoxism
Indoles, with similar chemical effects to LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) are believed to be responsible and may be consumed when the fish eat algae or phytoplankton containing the chemicals.

Others have claimed that different species of ichthyoallyeinotoxic fishes, such as Kyphosus fuseus, contain much more potent hallucinogens, such as dimethyltryptamine or DMT, which is considered to be one of the world's most mind-bending hallucinogenic chemicals.

Sarpa salpa
The hallucinogenic fish consumed by the men was a member of the Sparidae family and is commonly known as the Salema porgy.

The fish reaches a size of around 50cm/20" and occurs through much of the eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean.

For more details on the hallucinatory fish poisonings see the paper: de Haro L, Pommier P (2006) - Hallucinatory fish poisoning (ichthyoallyeinotoxism): two case reports from the Western Mediterranean and literature review. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2006;44(2):185-8.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMoxemerald
Executive

Loc: NJ
Re: Men hallucinate after eating fish [Re: veggie]
    #5535379 - 04/19/06 08:39 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Wow Excellent. Now to figure out the dosage...

InvisibleAtheist
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Men hallucinate after eating fish [Re: Moxemerald]
    #5535436 - 04/19/06 08:53 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Man I just read saw the article on ebaums, this is fucking crazy.

The nightmares can't always be terrifying, I bet they ate way too much you know, thinking that its NOT going to fuck you up lol just dinner

I'm getting on google to order some right now.

InvisibleAtheist
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Men hallucinate after eating fish [Re: Atheist]
    #5535441 - 04/19/06 08:54 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

cool looking fish too

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
    #5535753 - 04/19/06 10:05 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Cool! I remember hearing about this fish but not about anybody taking it. Maybe more will try now!

--------------------
]

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: Men hallucinate after eating fish [Re: Wysefool]
    #5535993 - 04/19/06 11:17 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Just wait till they make the fish illegal. :lol:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#5536068 - 04/19/06 11:36 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

hrm... doesn't seem like it is quite time to get the fishing pole out yet

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

InvisibleHamstercut
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Men hallucinate after eating fish [Re: Jim]
    #5536553 - 04/20/06 05:29 AM (18 years, 1 day ago)

this just in: the DEA has killed every single rabbit fish, and have stated that owning or selling these hallucinogenic fish carry a mms of 5 years the dea said. "these are a schedule one drugs OK? if we find any fun loving hippies that have these type of fish in their aquariums, we will prosecute. its as simple as that" said John Holmes of the DEA. He also went on to state that they are in the process of training German Shepard's to sniff out these "schedule one fish". budsky. shroooomery neeews.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Re: Men hallucinate after eating fish [Re: Hamstercut]
    #5536647 - 04/20/06 06:53 AM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Budsky said:
this just in: the DEA has killed every single rabbit fish, and have stated that owning or selling these hallucinogenic fish carry a mms of 5 years the dea said. "these are a schedule one drugs OK? if we find any fun loving hippies that have these type of fish in their aquariums, we will prosecute. its as simple as that" said John Holmes of the DEA. He also went on to state that they are in the process of training German Shepard's to sniff out these "schedule one fish". budsky. shroooomery neeews.

LOL! it could happen too.

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Men hallucinate after eating fish [Re: blackout]
    #5536865 - 04/20/06 09:08 AM (18 years, 1 day ago)

wouldnt at all suprise me. they made a naturally growing mushroom/ plant illegal to have and consume... why not an animal>?.. im going to try and get some of these fish as well.. they just look cool.. salt water thou and i bet their expensive

--------------------
Banez' PF Tek For Beginners

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
Re: Men hallucinate after eating fish [Re: Banez]
    #5537972 - 04/20/06 02:38 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

I wish Pot came from animals, then we could train them to run if there's a bust going down!!

--------------------
:orly:

OfflineRemainRandom50
Do You Need ToKnow Me?
Re: Men hallucinate after eating fish [Re: Microcosmatrix]
    #5541281 - 04/21/06 02:47 PM (18 years, 2 hours ago)

fucking awesome.
i wonder if i could get a fish like this for a pet.

--------------------
At times I get consumed by my everyday life and will leave the Shroomery. Yet, every time drugs come falling into my life for fun.....I always think about the Shroomery and then I'm back!

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
    #5541909 - 04/21/06 06:36 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

lolzz

I think the demand for Rabbit fish just increased 30 fold!~

:smirk:

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

Re: Men hallucinate after eating fish [Re: Roadkill]
    #5542222 - 04/21/06 08:44 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

But are they really good? The government don't know their asshole from a hole in the ground. Just because they say it make you hallucinate don't mean it's a good trip. Strychnine makes you hallucinate too.

--------------------

OfflineRemainRandom50
Do You Need ToKnow Me?
    #5543284 - 04/22/06 07:53 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

^^ good point./

--------------------
At times I get consumed by my everyday life and will leave the Shroomery. Yet, every time drugs come falling into my life for fun.....I always think about the Shroomery and then I'm back!

InvisibleHamstercut
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Men hallucinate after eating fish [Re: RemainRandom50]
    #5543313 - 04/22/06 08:25 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

im buying some rabbit fish this weekend, im going to eat thier heads...ill let you know how it goes.

Offlinetime2
Stranger
Re: Men hallucinate after eating fish [Re: Hamstercut]
    #5543380 - 04/22/06 08:52 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

it probably won't f*** u up didn't you read that it is RARE? It be cool if all of them did that though. I'd have a 1000 gallon fishtank with them and I'd eat 3 a day lol.

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: Men hallucinate after eating fish [Re: time2]
    #5543423 - 04/22/06 09:20 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

the poisoning is rare maybe because most people don't eat the heads? or maybe because most people cook the fish?

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

Re: Men hallucinate after eating fish [Re: EquilibriuM]
    #5543440 - 04/22/06 09:32 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I hope everyone realizes that it would be bad karma to murder these fish to het high...

:lol:

--------------------

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

#5544015 - 04/22/06 12:36 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

but its not bad karma to murder a mushroom to get high? or a cannabis plant? I don't get your reasoning.

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies