Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDnyiathyn
Stranger
Help needed - Tips for searching the forums.
    #5428772 - 03/22/06 06:30 AM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Hello all!

You don't know me and I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have contributed to this site. I have a FOAF that is taking allot of your advice to heart. He asked me to write this so here goes:

I am using the PF- BRF 1 & 1/2 pt jar method. I have a wonderful PC, which I must say is a very awesome invention. I can cook a whole chicken in 40 minutes. I can cook 12 quarts of beef stew in 8 minutes. hehe I wander a little so try to keep up!

I have already made mistakes and I will tell you the biggest one. I am new. I love to take a good idea and build on it. So I didn't just implement one tek I mixed and matched. I tried to assemble all the best tricks together I could find on this site. Including the idea that H2O2 or hydrogen peroxide in the terrarium reservoir was a good idea. I have two casings that started very strong. After a week of being watered with 2oz's of H2O2 to 20oz water my casings look very very shiny and pitted. I have seen no visible recovery of the mycelium and I fear I will have to throw them out. They have only been on the pure water for four days however.

Long story short only use H2O2 to kill "cobweb mold." Agar tek and your TiT reservoir are other applications I've seen where peroxide is called for. To quote off of Mycotopia"

"I have tried every single one of the "use peroxide to save your ass" methods several times such as the peroxide blender cloning, peroxide/karo inoculation among many others and have come to the conclusion that peroxide sucks and will only slow down or just completely F the project up. Peroxide seems to want to cause wet spot for me and many others. And it DEFINITELY (seen in my experiments) slows down growth considerably. However I believe agar has a place in agar work."

I ran an experiment to test the effectiveness of my incubator, which is the TiT 100watt aquarium heater tek. I incubated multiple jars and placed them in the incubator and placed a number of jars above my stove in the cupboard. In all honesty the jars all finished at the same time. Seems the layer of vermiculite at the top 3/4th" helps to seal in the moisture very well. I was concerned about the humidity levels in my incubator so I started spraying the sides. It helps to mention that I used a cover and cold weather stripping to seal the tote. Today I found a jar contaminated with long stalks of black mold with balls at the top. Results from too high humidity and stagnant air. I noticed that only the first 1/2" of the cakes were actually rehydrated so it seems spraying in the incubator just begs for trouble.

What I have learned is not to implement too many things at once. Because when things go south it is difficult to determine what went wrong. Two is to live the FAQ?s and the search. Don?t believe everything you read. The bullsh*t about using H202 and spore syringes is really something. H2O2 will kill most spores and if you read enough you will see how others sometimes add things in that look good on paper but probably have never actually tried. I?m not saying it won?t work but don?t say it is a time saving breakthrough tek. I could probably piss in the spore water and have some successful results that don?t mean it should be contained in the FAQ?s.

I?ve downloaded the zip. I?ve spent countless hours searching for keywords. Let me ask this. If you birthed 5 ? pt cakes and made a casing. You dunked for 24 hours before creating the casing. Then it was placed in the terrarium and kept at 74 degrees 85% humidity. Four FAE?s each 24-hour period. My fan RPM speed is adjustable and helps to dilute the ultrasonic mist. 8 hour lighting cycle / day. Cased was 50/50 tek with crushed oyster shell. The top casing layer is ?? thick. I have large areas of bulbous growth that looks shiny and pitted. What is the normal time until fruiting with a setup like this? What can I expect out of this abused casing? Will it come around? I don?t believe it?s completely dead. I read that mycelium will produce an enzyme that will detoxify H2O2. This probably accounts for the stunted development and delay. My friend?s terrarium has that regular cake smell but has a sweet smell to it also. No foul odors.

What can I contribute? Not a new FAQ but some great guidelines for searching the forums I think would be helpful.

First of all a tried and true tek will have a well-documented paper trail of trials of others and advice. Beware of following guidelines from posters that cannot be found elsewhere. Everyone wants to be successful so if a tek is not well documented or corroborated by others it probably will end in headache.

Don?t stray from the tek guidelines. I read about the possible uses of H2O2 and decided it would be great used in my reservoir. I didn?t take the time to find clear examples where people had done this. It looked good on paper. Not good.

Don?t implement too many changes at once. If something goes wrong you will have a hell of a time finding out what it was.

I welcome all opinions even those adverse to my own. I?m sure someone will disagree with something. Any help is appreciated. Thanks all!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTeon
Chemist/Self-AppointedFAQ Facist
Male

Loc: Here
Re: Help needed - Tips for searching the forums. [Re: Dnyiathyn]
    #5428801 - 03/22/06 06:52 AM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

"I have tried every single one of the "use peroxide to save your ass" methods several times such as the peroxide blender cloning, peroxide/karo inoculation among many others and have come to the conclusion that peroxide sucks and will only slow down or just completely F the project up. Peroxide seems to want to cause wet spot for me and many others. And it DEFINITELY (seen in my experiments) slows down growth considerably. However I believe agar has a place in agar work."

I don't know who you are quoting here, but stop listening to him/her... NOW!

The H2O2 is not likely to be what is "completely F[ing] the project up." It's probably them and their incorrect understanding of the principal behind and proper application of hydrogen peroxide.

I could go on and on about this, but I'm running late this morning so I'll just have to come back here and rant some more later.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, have ever been, or will at any future time will be participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any legal statue; be it local, state, or federal law. All posts are works of fiction, and are intended for entertainment purposes only.

Don't just assume anything I or anyone else says is true. Test it for yourself. See if it's true.
Generate more useful information. The world is running desperately low on it.

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5428817 - 03/22/06 06:59 AM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Aiight, I'll tackle this =)

First, welcome!

You made your first mistake when you drifted from the tek. This is a common mistake for beginners. Stick to the tek word for word and you will have positive results. Do not personalize untill you have a good idea of how this cultivation works.

Now, I use two humidifiers. Cool mist and a ultrasonic. Both have 1:10 h202 mixture. When I mist, if I ever need to, it is also h202 mix. A weak dose of h202 will not harm the myc what-so-ever.

You havent even had a harvest, and your mentioning agar and karo and all this. Keep it simple... stupid =). J/k.

Misting a TiT, bad idea, as you found out. During incubation, leave them be! Adding humidity just begs for contams.

As for adding h202 to SPORES?! Not sure where you read that, but this will kill your spores on the spot. Bad idea =(

As for your casing question. First off I personally keep my RH at 95% all day long, no matter if its casings or not. You said your casing is 1/4, so I am guessing your substrate layer is 1". Correct, 1/4 casing per 1" substrate. Now you should of incubated your casings before throwing them into fruiting. Either way, they should be fine. Sweet smell? Hopefully not sour apple(Wet mold usually). You can expect fruits however, if it is not contamed already.

How long has it been fruiting? And pitted myc? What do you mean? Is it like, thick and matted? Try taking a fork and scraping it lightly, and then patching it. I would patch the areas of myc either way however.

Goodluck next time and stick to the tek! =)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Invisiblegotyerback
SpiritualAdvisor
Female User Gallery

#5428838 - 03/22/06 07:12 AM (18 years, 1 day ago)

I only skimmed your post, but I think this will help:

1. There are conflicting teks out there. Not major differences, but enough to confuse. Pick one and print it out. Then when you are working, your fof's brain won't get confused btwn them all.

2. YOU are the ultimate judge of what works and what doesn't. If it works, its good. Get a feel for growing. My timeline may not fit your parameters. Making the attempts is how you learn. Failure is simply another step to what you want.

3. If you want a good search try this: Go to Search, leave the keywords blank, go to username, enter Agar, click on the main posts only. He has given us an easy, usefull technique on almost any issue you could run into. If Agar wrote it, it works.

You did one thing right, you did your homework. One day all your reading and experiences will meld into this state where you just know. And then your attempts will somehow just start working all the time.

OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
Re: Help needed - Tips for searching the forums. [Re: Citric]
    #5429080 - 03/22/06 08:51 AM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Citric said:

You made your first mistake when you drifted from the tek.  This is a common mistake for beginners.  Stick to the tek word for word and you will have positive results.  Do not personalize untill you have a good idea of how this cultivation works.

:thumbup:

You will find your niche, but if you stray it will take a lot longer to succeed..  having a couple successful grows  makes it easier to stay enthoused with the hobby.

--------------------
ISO: Orissa, Malabar, z strain

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder