Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblerepobob
enthusiast
Loc: Illinois
I can't believe this
    #533406 - 01/27/02 11:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

CLEO, my dog put her first three casings in the aquarium a week and a half ago. They all looked pretty good - what does she know her first cake. They looked like the pictures anyway.
Heater, bublier, and perlite. One of the cakes got a blue spot along the top rim. Thought maybe she bruised it on the way out of the jar, so she watched it closley for the next two days. Another cake had turned tan on top, but the bottom stayed very white. Watched this one too. The third cake stayed completely white. Last Thursday the good cake started to pin. The dog got nervous and decided not to risk the good cake. He took the two contaminated cakes, and for lack of anywhere else to put them, put them in a container used for coffee grounds and vegtable scraps for the compost pile. Figured he had one good one left. The good one now has almost 100 1/4 inch mushrooms on it - very happy. What is so amazing is the cakes he threw in the compost container started to pin too. The container only had a little coffee grounds in it. He put the lid on it, a little vermiculite in it and set it by the heater. The pins are growing as fast as the ones on the good cake. I still can't believe it.
Cleo's question is can she take the cakes from the compost after they flush, the parts that are left after the contaminated parts were thrown out, and dunk them in water and 3% H202 at 10 to 1. Then put them back in the terrarium and see if they flush. Even if she loses them I think sheI learned how resilient Mycylium can be.

Peace,
Bob

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleXochipili
journeyman
Re: I can't believe this [Re: repobob]
    #533456 - 01/28/02 12:32 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

you might be able to get away with what you said. they may not even need the dunk in h2o2. h202 kills spores but not established contaminants or mushrooms. when you pick the fruits off the compost cakes, slice them open all the way down the middle and see if they are clean. if they are and there arent any visible contams on the cakes, then they may be fine. once cakes are colonized they are pretty well protected from contamination.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation