Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblegiz
daydreamer
Male

Loc: EU
commercial growth of edibles
    #5320013 - 02/20/06 01:48 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

if you had loxation and money for equipment ro start up a mass production of edibles. what species would you have grown? which species is most suitable for mass production and what species does sell the best?

sorry my bad english

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: commercial growth of edibles [Re: giz]
    #5320906 - 02/20/06 05:48 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

oysters i suppose, or button species. Unless you wanna go low output more exotic and cater more to one crop.

Most suitable would be agaricus species. do to the style of growing done using large croping surfaces of compost.

Depends. Do you want to grow using wood, straw, or compost? What market is being used at the moment ie whats available at the market place. Then you got to see who are you selling to. What does the consumer want? What kind of consumer do you want to cater?

ask yourself these question and with reaserch you will be able to find what will do best in your area.

OfflineBlek
Stranger
Male

Loc: The universe
Re: commercial growth of edibles [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #5320990 - 02/20/06 06:09 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

The only commercial mushroom farm that I've ever been too grew button mushrooms. I think they might have had a few oysters too. They used wheat straw + chicken manure as substrate/casing. The thing about button mushrooms is they don't need any light, and much less FAE than oysters.

Re: commercial growth of edibles [Re: Blek]
    #5321066 - 02/20/06 06:32 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah buttons are a bit easier as in less procedures in the growth process.

Do to the use of huge bunker style bins for composting tonnage of substrate.

Oysters you always have to do prep work. More so then i would assume buttons.

Invisiblegiz
daydreamer
Male

#5323191 - 02/21/06 08:08 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

ok here is my golden oppurtunity, i have been unemployed for well over 3 years. I am grown up on a farm and knows my way around veggies and fruits but i dont have any experience growing gourmet. But im a relative smart guy and learns fast. I have been offered locations (about 120 square meters with one large room and two smaller ones) from a family member with storage room , the storage room is HUGE, it used to store potatoes with a capacity of 500 tonn potatoes, there is packing equipment and there is also possibilty to distrube. I can get around 300000 NOK (around 50000 USD) in funding to get started. This is a small place that suffers from companies that are beeing moved into cities and so on so the local politicans are willing to help me out a great deal to get anything started. I was thinking about growing edibles. There is very little competition here in norway on this marked and there is a possibility to distrube to nation wides food chains without too much problems. Most mushrooms you can buy here is canned ones imported from china and so on. I went to the store yesterday and I found two diffrent mushrooms for sale, the common white agaricus mushroom and Cantharellus cibarius . both canned and the last one imported from china, agaricus is made here in norway. I asked the store owner and he told me that they sometimes got uncanned agaricus. Of course in larger cities in norway more fresh mushroom is availble- So I belive there is defently a marked for it here. I can feel it in every part of my body that this i want to do. But I need to act fast and learn fast.

One other thing about substrates. there is a small factory for wood (making the kind of wood you use to heat up your house) and the owner of the locations i can get is also the owner of the factory. so wood is availble in any amounts I want. There is also horse and cow farms in the area but no chicken farm. Im not sure if there is any straw production near by but it shouldnt be too difficult to get hold of it. Maybe I need to buy that in tons from further south do therefor wood would be the best start but i can go for horse manure and straw as well. Or maybe i should buy a bunch of chickens. Im not sure. this idea was born yesterday.

soo. in my notebook it says..

* best way for preservation, packaging and storage..
*equipment needet to provide the best of quality in the end product
* species to cultivate--

any inputs, recommendet webpages\books\articles to read, webpages to see how others setups, webpages for buying equipment (im a registred one man company and importing equipment i can do from overseas without too much hassle, it even gives me tax benefits) is highly appriciated

Edited by giz (02/21/06 08:19 AM)

Invisiblegiz
daydreamer
Male

#5323232 - 02/21/06 08:40 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

also note that i have years of experience growing azures, pan cyans and cubes. I grow my first active ones in 2001

Offlinexxanxx
Mycophile
 User Gallery

#5323349 - 02/21/06 09:35 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

^^Read up on Stamets if you haven't already. Good source for workstations is: http://www.nuaire.com/laminar_airflow_products/airegard_126.htm

Honestly I think Fungi Perfecti could be of some help as well. They desgin grow rooms, and have good prices on PHASE II Chambers.

Read, read, read. Google is an excellent source of all kinds of information. Definitely do your homework on proper spawn generation before anything else, proper lab technique will make or break your business.

Next logical step would be strain selection. Research local markets, check with resturants, food co-ops, farm markets, grocery stores, etc. to find out what kind of rules they have on buying mushrooms.

Then you would look into staring a business plan, do some demographics and such.

I have a lot of knowledge in this area, PM me if you need any help. Cheers

X

--------------------
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
-Hunter S. Thompson, RIP

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#5323615 - 02/21/06 10:51 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

couple tips...

definetly second the reading of stamets book.. but since you seem to have a good deal of funding, id fund a trip and go see the guy yourself. take a seminar, connect with that family.. they are a great resource and are totally into helping folks who go to a class..

also if you are thinking of distributing world/nationwide, which seems like a decent idea though personally i just want to stay in the local market, i suggest going organic.. get some sort of organic certification and just go all the way with it.. its not hard to grow mushies organic and when you have that "label" it really opens you up to a larger market, and being able to charge more to that nitch as well...

also checkout www.mushworld.com they are a great site/community of people all over the world, with great resources and even two online books you can download, one on shitake growing, and one on oyster.. the species i would recommend starting with.. checkout the link "Mushroom Handbook"

good luck and stay connected.. its all about networking and being able to ask questions helps ya learn, and helps others to learn as well...

--------------------
"listening for the secret.. searching for the sound.."

#5323731 - 02/21/06 11:30 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Well you could fly me over and we could get started on this!!!! :wink:

Invisiblegiz
daydreamer
Male

#5323914 - 02/21/06 12:40 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

hehe yeah i could defently have used an expeienced grower in the starting phase.

I have orderet stamets books from his webpage and also i am seriously concidering going to his seminar in may, I did sent stamets an email with some questions and he respondet really quikand seemed like a really nice and helpful person. 
i have been reading alot today. thanks for tips and links, keep em coming. I will , of course, update and ask questions.

:cool:

#5323940 - 02/21/06 12:45 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

HE is a very cool guy! Seriously. I am right down the street from him right now i should go over and check it all out. His classes are good. When you finished you get his cultures any time you need them free of charge.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me about what ever it is you may be concerned with.

My offer still stands though about coming over to help setup

Invisiblemicololo2
Stranger

Loc: Québec, Canada
    #5324291 - 02/21/06 02:29 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

1. Yes you have to learn how to grow mushrooms. From the test tube to the harvested mushrooms. Well done it'll take you 2 years. Lucky maybe a year.
I recommend you 3 years, to give you more practice.

2. At the third year learn how to grow on a larger scale. Growing on large scale give different difficulties.

3. Growing commercially mushrooms needs usually big investments, and it's a risky domain. A lot of growers (2 that I know)have starting to fast and have made bankrupt.

4. Before starting to invest make a professional market study.

5. After that make a solid business plan.

If making money is your only goal, I would say go to step 4 first.
You'll see if you'll get a good income for the investment.

Good luck

Re: commercial growth of edibles [Re: micololo2]
    #5324312 - 02/21/06 02:33 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

yeah for real! Im in the step 4/5 range right now. Been growing for 4 years, 3 years semicomercialy. Bout time to spread my wings and see if the shit sticks.

Invisiblegiz
daydreamer
Male

#5324418 - 02/21/06 03:05 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

yes, i probably havent made myself clear but my english is not the best, when I say i need to get started fast I mean I dont meant to eat more than I can swallow.I realize the risk with investing too much too fast. I was talking on the phone with the guy who owns the buildings I was offered and we talked about the same thing, starting small and see.. there is defently a 1-2 years learning period with trials and errors- So I am working on a plan. Marked studies and that kind of things I am going to get help with I havent gotten around to that. I need to find a starting poiny with minimal investments done. I want to see some others productions, and learn- I have said yes to the buildings, I will get the rent for free for a period of time, like I said, I have people around me willing to streetch far to help me get this started :smile:.

thanks for good advices and heads up

Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
    #5324576 - 02/21/06 03:57 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I second visiting www.mushworld.com . Sign up for an account and then check out the MushWorld Handbook on the homepage. I've read over the oyster handbook several times.

--------------------

Invisiblegiz
daydreamer
Male

Re: commercial growth of edibles [Re: pshawny]
    #5324794 - 02/21/06 04:58 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Allready done that  :thumbup: I will print out the handbook and start reading :smile:

Invisiblemicololo2
Stranger

Loc: Québec, Canada
    #5780755 - 06/22/06 03:01 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

giz said:
if you had loxation and money for equipment ro start up a mass production of edibles. what species would you have grown? which species is most suitable for mass production and what species does sell the best?

sorry my bad english

Shiitake, Yellow Oyster, Eryngii, White Elm, Lion's Mane.

OfflineThai_connection
Siam
 User Gallery

Loc: Thailand
    #5782941 - 06/23/06 03:34 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

giz said:
there is defently a 1-2 years learning period with trials and errors- So I am working on a plan. .

Yes exactly...always be errors...little lost till you perfect your knowledge and skill

Re: commercial growth of edibles [Re: Thai_connection]
    #5784338 - 06/23/06 04:46 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Not to mention the different climates in the grow room. You could grow one species on one shelf with crappy results then take the same strain and grow it in another location in the same house and have wonderful results. Its crazy how just a slight difference in gas levels can make or break a grow.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures