Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Re: Casing Help...Please!!!!!
    #52166 - 08/09/98 05:17 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

1. it don't matter. case a cake when you
wanna case a cake... although i go with
casing as soon as my jars are fully
colonized, and this has worked the best.

2. what are you using for humidity?
casings do not need as much humidity
as regular cakes do, all you really need
is a terrium to put them in and spray it
with a hand sprayer a couple times a day.
Perlite usually is too much humidity for casings.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

#52168 - 08/10/98 04:21 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the response!

I have them in a perlite terrarium. Should I just put them in a rubber container and mist? Do you mist directly onto the top of the casing? Do they just fruit when they are ready or should I cold shock? What is the longest period from casing until fruiting a person could expect? (When do I give up and trash it?)

Anonymous

#52169 - 08/10/98 07:50 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Can you just set this jewels right out in the closet? Or do they have to be in a terrarium?

Anonymous

#52170 - 08/11/98 12:04 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I would like to know the answer to these questions as well. Also, how much light do you give the casing and when?

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#52171 - 08/17/98 08:40 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I'll try and answer all your questions on casing as I have been shown the light, casing is the only way to go. Forget growing on cakes, the yeilds from casing are about 5 to 7X higher. First off, case them right out of the jar, you will not be disapointed. The very first time I cased, was with spent cakes, they had already flushed twice, then i cased them, and got another 1/4 oz or more of dried shrooms from only 6 cakes. As far as humidity, I use the perlite method and it works great for casing, myceluim needs moisture/humidity no matter what medium there growing in. I do give my soil a light misting about every other day in the beginning, later the soil will start to dry out and you will need to mist it once a day. Especially towards the second and third flushes. Here is how I case them.
I use a plastic trays, bought at Home Depot in the garden section, there black, about 2 feet long, 18" wide and about 3 to 4 inches deep, very thin plastic. You can cut and tape these to fit the exact size of the bottom of your aqurium, leaving about a 1/2" on all sides for the moisture to go around them and drip down the glass and not in your container. OK, now the fun part. Take vermiculite, mix in a bowl with water until its real moist, squeezing excess water out, then drop about 1/2" layer across the bottom of your container. Then take fresh cakes from the jars, chop them up with a knife real good, into little pieces, crumble this over that layer of vermiculte. About a 3/4" to 1" layer across. Next, take a mixture of 50% peat moss and 50% vermiculite, real moist, once again squeeze out excess water, then just lightly place it over the mycelium layer, about a 1/4" to 1/2" just so its cover the mycelium layer. Although I can still see the colonized cake pieces in the high spots. Put your container back in your aquiruim right on top of perlite. Within about 2 days you'll start seeing the mycelium overtake the casing layer, within a week it will be almost completly covered in mycelium, and the pinning will start. Harvest time is usally 2 weeeks after casing. You want to be sure and spray the soil every couple of days in the beging with sterilzed water. You will get huge flushes from this method. After your first harvest, start spraying the soil once a day. If somewhere along the way your start to see contamination in any part of the soil, cut it out immediatly, and cover that spot with fresh DRY 50/50 mix again, and that should keep it from spreading. Once you do this once, you won't go back to growing from cakes. Good Luck.

Peace............

[This message has been edited by Ryche Hawk (edited 08-18-98).]

--------------------
-Peace-
For all your legal mushroom spores and cultures visit  <a href="http://www.muShrooms.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener">www.muShrooms.com</a>

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores since 1998

Anonymous

#52172 - 08/17/98 10:56 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Will it work if I do separate casing trays (i.e., one cake per casing---if I colonize 6 cakes, could I do six casings?)?
Thanks.

Peace,
Mithrandir

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#52173 - 08/18/98 03:32 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

NO! You wouldn't have enough of a layer across the bottom. For a 10 gallon tank, you would need a minimum of 5 cakes worth, but I would recommend 6 to 7 in your container.
Believe me, its worth giving up all those cakes and casing them. Just try it once and you won't go back to growing from cakes.

--------------------
-Peace-
For all your legal mushroom spores and cultures visit  <a href="http://www.muShrooms.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener">www.muShrooms.com</a>

www.thehawkseye.com

Anonymous

#52174 - 08/18/98 02:00 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The tray I'm using for casing is approximately 12"x6" (12"x6" at most). How many cakes would you suggest for this?

Thanks again, and sorry for asking so many questions.

Peace,
Mithrandir

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#52175 - 08/18/98 02:10 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Probally only 3 or 4. The crumbled cake layer just needs to be between a 1/2" and 3/4" it doesn't have to be perfect or level or anything, just crubmle then up layer it.

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

Anonymous

#52176 - 08/18/98 03:57 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Do you mist the casing even after it starts to pin? I don't know if this will drown the mycellium? Is a drip shield required?

Thanks

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#52177 - 08/19/98 02:40 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I do, but I'm still unsure of this one weather it slows the mycelium down or not. I don't think so because it still spreads rapidly in the first week, then sits still for a few days then starts pining and popping mushrooms. The mycelium still sucks up the moisture, and there is already plenty of it in the aquarium, if you don't the soil starts to dry out and then the mushrooms will quit growing. I know on the second and third flushes you have to mist the soil a little more heavely otherwise it does dry out, I guess from sitting there for so long.

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

Anonymous

#52178 - 08/19/98 02:55 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

has anyone heard of inoculating a casing as you would a cake?

Anonymous

#52179 - 08/19/98 03:40 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

your main foe in the battle to coloinize your cakes are the members of the mold family. they love to chomp on your grains. i think you'd need to have only a pocket of food-rich substrate in the middle of the casing, as having a food/casing mixture throughout your fruiting pan would be like fly-paper to any wayward mold spore. however, if the substrate were in a ball in the center of the casing pan instead of broken up on the entire layer, then your fruiting surface would be substantially reduced.
i think i'll give it a try though, it could show a more natural way of fruiting--or like if found in the wild. your flushes may not be as plentiful; though your pan may last longer.
...but these are only my thoughts, not to be taken for fact.

hey Ryche Hawk, your casing tek sounds like a real winner. are you using Amazons or Gulf Coasters? i am trying to get a handle on the suttle differences between the two as far as casing goes.

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#52180 - 08/19/98 04:31 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I've tried both. Currently trying gulf coast for the first time. There very agressive, the mycelium has completly taken over the casing soil in only about 5-6 days. Pinning has just started. I read somewhere on this board somebody talked with the owner of the one that stains blue and he says the GC's have to be cased that they didn't grow well on cakes.
I haven't found a strain of cubensis yet that didnt grow well cased like this.
BTW, credit for this casing method goes to White Rabbit, he taught me this a long time ago.
About the above idea of putting a ball in the center, I don't see the point of doing that. If you do that, where the ball is its still going to grow through the soil, but only in the center of the pan, and contaminents don't care what part of the pan its in. so then you have all this wasted space. Besides, the casing soil also acts as a protective layer for the substrate below it. From everyone I've talked to that cases, they have less of a problem with contaminants from caseing then cakes. I've had a few contaminants get in my soil before, usually after I've harvested, I think because after you pull some shrooms out it rips into the layer below leaving it exposed without as much casing soil on it, just my theory though. But I immediatly cut it out and cover it with dry peat moss and this usually stops the spread. I've only had this happen twice though.
Peace......

[This message has been edited by Ryche Hawk (edited 08-19-98).]

[This message has been edited by Ryche Hawk (edited 08-19-98).]

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

Anonymous

#52181 - 08/19/98 12:46 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

yes, i think that your crumbling method is the best way to approach casing. by layering the entire bottom of the pan you maximize your fruiting real-estate to it's fullest. this, coupled w/a thinner top casing layer gives the mycelium a quick rise to the surface to pin. i have some "sliced" cakes in several pans that are cased in verm/peat/cal; but the next attempt is going to be with your/white rabbit's approach of total break-up.

as far as the different strains taking to the PF cake, i can only go by my empirical data and the testimony & photo's of others. i have only grown Gulf Coasters and compared to the pics in the gallery, i find that the Amazons dig the cake more than the G/C strain. this is evident by way of massive flushes. my guess is that it's due to moisture--and that casing creates the womb-like, happy-place that the G/F'ers need as encouragement to reproduce.
what do you think?

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#52182 - 08/19/98 04:36 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Beats the hell out of me, I quit growing on cakes after I seen the results from casing. The first 2 times I ever grew were from cakes and personally I find them to be a pain in the ass for such small flushes.

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

Anonymous

#52183 - 08/19/98 04:51 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Ryche Hawk, Thanks for all the VERY valuable info. you have contributed to this discussion!!!!

How many days from first sight of pinning until the flush takes off?

How do I know what strain I have? I ordered from PF.

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#52184 - 08/19/98 05:56 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

After first signs of pinning, mushrooms start popping up in anywhere from 1-3 days. Not sure why the difference, maybe temps on the house.
I believe those PF are azmonian strain, they work fine for casing.

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

Anonymous

#52185 - 08/20/98 03:05 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Ryche:
What kind of cakes du you use?
PF, rye or what....

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#52186 - 08/20/98 04:41 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Rice cakes, PF style.

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation