Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineUnder_net
enthusiast
Loc: kentucky
Terrarium Setup. Humidity problem
    #515395 - 01/09/02 02:38 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I just recently setup my terrarium(about a week ago) and I am having some problems with the humidity level. I am using a Rubbermaid Container with perlite in the bottom. I cut a hole out of the lid and epoxied a piece of plexi over top of it.
Of my first batch of cakes two of them colonized before all the rest, so I thought I would use them to test the terrarium out and see how it worked.
After about 10 days of them doing nothing in the terrarium I yanked them out and did a small casing experiment.
anyways as I said before I am using perlite for humidification. I also added a splash shield to the inside to help raise the humidity level because i felt it to be too low.
Is there any way to judge the humidity level without the guages? For example every time I go to Fan the terrarium I noticed that very little of the water on the shield has evaporated. Does that mean that the humidity is holding at a high level?
The reason I ask is because I have 3 guages. One is a 3 dollar guage and it is maxed out, leading me to believe its not accurate at high levels. The second is an electronic guage( which pretty much stays at 99% except when i fan it out) The 3rd is actually what appears to be a good guage, but its only reading about 88-92%. It came with a kit I bought from mushroommagic.com (http://www.mushroommagic.com/gauge.htm) here is the guage
I am worried that the only accurate guage I have is the one that reads that I am too low. As I said I am using perlite (2"perlite : 1" water + h2o2) plus a rather loose splash shield with a few inches airspace on both sides. all inside of a rubbermaid container.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is 90% enough to induse pinning?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePapa_Smurf

Re: Terrarium Setup. Humidity problem [Re: Under_net]
    #515401 - 01/09/02 02:42 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'd say the 3rd guage is correct. As far as your setup goes FOAF had a similar one and it was anywhere from 92-94 all the time. There should be water dropelts that dont go away over most of the surface throuhgout the setup. And yes, you should see some pins after 10 days.

--------------------
"Only after you have lost everything, are you free to do anything"

OfflineTrail_Blazer
enthusiast

Re: Terrarium Setup. Humidity problem [Re: Under_net]
    #515412 - 01/09/02 02:49 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Just so you know, most humidity gauges are accurate +-5%. The more expensive (i'm talking over 50 dollars lab quality gauges) are still only accurate to around +-3%. Moreover, some gauges don't even go past 95%. For some reason I doubt that your humidty is the problem.

If your walls are sweating then you definately have over 90% humidty... minimum.

I'm assuming your terrarium is relatively airtight and you've been fanning once a day to induce pinning?

If you temp is below 70 or above 80 it will take longer to induce pinning (up to 2 weeks or so).

Cakes require 95%+ humidty to induce pinning and fruit.

Casings however require less humidty as the required humidty is supplied by the casing material itself.

Hope that helps somewhat, I'm a little sleep deprived so this post may not be as informative as I would like.

Good luck to ya.

Peace

--------------------
[green]There is a fine line between genius and insanity, I have erased this line.[/green]
Visit FSR

OfflineUnder_net
enthusiast
Loc: kentucky
Re: Terrarium Setup. Humidity problem [Re: Trail_Blazer]
    #515449 - 01/09/02 03:23 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

First, thanks for the info.

As far as the walls sweating, I usually spray them myself. But the humidity does hold between sprayings.

I did notice that my cake seemed failry dry when I tore it up for the casing.

One thing that does bother me is that I am controlling the temperature of my terrarium with a small space heater placed in the room on the floor. I have noticed that the humidity level outside of the terrarium is very low, right about 30%. I think this is due to the space heater. Does anyone think this ambient level should be raised with a humiditifier or something.

I have been keeping the inside of the terr about 75 - 80 degrees.usually between 76 and 78 actually.

I did remove the 2 cakes and place them in a small tray with dampened vermiculite above and below the mycelium for a casing experiment.

after it is colonised at what humidity do they need to be at to pin, and are they as picky as the cakes?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation