Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Loc: kentucky
Terrarium Setup. Humidity problem
    #515395 - 01/09/02 02:38 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I just recently setup my terrarium(about a week ago) and I am having some problems with the humidity level. I am using a Rubbermaid Container with perlite in the bottom. I cut a hole out of the lid and epoxied a piece of plexi over top of it.
Of my first batch of cakes two of them colonized before all the rest, so I thought I would use them to test the terrarium out and see how it worked.
After about 10 days of them doing nothing in the terrarium I yanked them out and did a small casing experiment.
anyways as I said before I am using perlite for humidification. I also added a splash shield to the inside to help raise the humidity level because i felt it to be too low.
Is there any way to judge the humidity level without the guages? For example every time I go to Fan the terrarium I noticed that very little of the water on the shield has evaporated. Does that mean that the humidity is holding at a high level?
The reason I ask is because I have 3 guages. One is a 3 dollar guage and it is maxed out, leading me to believe its not accurate at high levels. The second is an electronic guage( which pretty much stays at 99% except when i fan it out) The 3rd is actually what appears to be a good guage, but its only reading about 88-92%. It came with a kit I bought from mushroommagic.com (http://www.mushroommagic.com/gauge.htm) here is the guage
I am worried that the only accurate guage I have is the one that reads that I am too low. As I said I am using perlite (2"perlite : 1" water + h2o2) plus a rather loose splash shield with a few inches airspace on both sides. all inside of a rubbermaid container.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is 90% enough to induse pinning?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Re: Terrarium Setup. Humidity problem [Re: Under_net]
    #515401 - 01/09/02 02:42 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I'd say the 3rd guage is correct. As far as your setup goes FOAF had a similar one and it was anywhere from 92-94 all the time. There should be water dropelts that dont go away over most of the surface throuhgout the setup. And yes, you should see some pins after 10 days.

"Only after you have lost everything, are you free to do anything"

Re: Terrarium Setup. Humidity problem [Re: Under_net]
    #515412 - 01/09/02 02:49 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Just so you know, most humidity gauges are accurate +-5%. The more expensive (i'm talking over 50 dollars lab quality gauges) are still only accurate to around +-3%. Moreover, some gauges don't even go past 95%. For some reason I doubt that your humidty is the problem.

If your walls are sweating then you definately have over 90% humidty... minimum.

I'm assuming your terrarium is relatively airtight and you've been fanning once a day to induce pinning?

If you temp is below 70 or above 80 it will take longer to induce pinning (up to 2 weeks or so).

Cakes require 95%+ humidty to induce pinning and fruit.

Casings however require less humidty as the required humidty is supplied by the casing material itself.

Hope that helps somewhat, I'm a little sleep deprived so this post may not be as informative as I would like.

Good luck to ya.

[green]There is a fine line between genius and insanity, I have erased this line.[/green]
Visit FSR

Loc: kentucky
Re: Terrarium Setup. Humidity problem [Re: Trail_Blazer]
    #515449 - 01/09/02 03:23 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

First, thanks for the info.

As far as the walls sweating, I usually spray them myself. But the humidity does hold between sprayings.

I did notice that my cake seemed failry dry when I tore it up for the casing.

One thing that does bother me is that I am controlling the temperature of my terrarium with a small space heater placed in the room on the floor. I have noticed that the humidity level outside of the terrarium is very low, right about 30%. I think this is due to the space heater. Does anyone think this ambient level should be raised with a humiditifier or something.

I have been keeping the inside of the terr about 75 - 80 degrees.usually between 76 and 78 actually.

I did remove the 2 cakes and place them in a small tray with dampened vermiculite above and below the mycelium for a casing experiment.

after it is colonised at what humidity do they need to be at to pin, and are they as picky as the cakes?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation