Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
The depression poll.
    #5133627 - 01/02/06 11:22 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I just want to do a little poll, to see just how "individualized" and "rare" depression is.
Is it truly a genetic crap shoot?

This is in no way has any scientific credibility. I am merely doing it just to see the results. So, please, everyone, answer truthfully.... also, the more answers i get, the more accurate the results will be.
do you/have you ever thought/think you have/had depression?
You may choose only one
have you ever been diagnosed with depression?
You may choose only one
Have you ever taken drugs to cure/prevent/attack your depression?
You may choose only one
if yes to question 2 or 3: are you still afflicted with depression?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (01/02/06 11:22 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCaptain Loafy McPoopdick
(4 1 2)

Loc: 1 5 1 3 6
Re: The depression poll. [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #5133653 - 01/02/06 11:29 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Good poll. I answered truthfully. If you need help or someone to talk to, you should PM me.
Medication has helped me out wondorfully.

Unless I just almost bleed my heart out for no reason i'll just look like an ass haha

Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

Loc: new england
    #5133692 - 01/02/06 11:39 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i've been depressed plenty of times before, but never without a reason. shit happens to everyone. i was depressed for awhile when my ex girlfriend dumped me awhile ago, and in situations where anyone would be depressed, but i can't think of too many times when i've been depressed without a reason to be depressed, except like ecstasy hangovers.

when i do get really depressed i'll smoke a lot of pot and/or listen to some music and feel better, but it doesn't happen on a regular basis.

--------------------

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

(4 1 2)

Re: The depression poll. [Re: Captain Loafy McPoopdick]
    #5133735 - 01/02/06 11:56 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Nevermind I take that back, don't fuckin talk to me...ever.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: The depression poll. [Re: Captain Loafy McPoopdick]
    #5133746 - 01/03/06 12:00 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for taking the pill... i mean poll.

(4 1 2)

#5133754 - 01/03/06 12:02 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

yea, I guess there's a little side effect.

OfflineOrizonsHorizon
Stranger
Re: The depression poll. [Re: nightkrawler]
    #5134133 - 01/03/06 05:48 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

nightkrawler said:
i've been depressed plenty of times before, but never without a reason. shit happens to everyone. i was depressed for awhile when my ex girlfriend dumped me awhile ago, and in situations where anyone would be depressed, but i can't think of too many times when i've been depressed without a reason to be depressed, except like ecstasy hangovers.

when i do get really depressed i'll smoke a lot of pot and/or listen to some music and feel better, but it doesn't happen on a regular basis.

What you are describing here is just being down in the dumps, Withdrawing?... or bummed out---it's not what society or a psychaitrists would consider "depression"
Incidental--- clinical depression is usually common with those that have gone through something extremely tramatic. Loved one unexpectingly dieng etc...but even though these experiences can be considered triggers---they cant be conisdered the cause. Depression is something that usually escalates over time--many indeirect and transient factors involved.

Actually, if my dog died and I became sad....Saying I am feeling depressed today is actauly being politically incorrect since Im using a medical diagnosis to describe my feelings. *not like it really matters---dont get the idea Im trying to dictate or enforce this notion*...and Yes Depression is Defined as a feeling in the dictionary...but, they are not one in the same.

(same Idea if I were to say: "ornages are the CURE for Scurvy"
The word "Cure" is a medical term and if I publically released an artical saying the Cure for Scurvy is Oranges, THe FDA could come after me)

Well sorry for gettin off topic, I just wanted to relay this info...Even though the English Dictionary has adopted these words as synonyms for "sad"...they are not the same thing when speaking of Medical Depression.

Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

#5134141 - 01/03/06 05:58 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i'm not sure what exactly is meant by depression here. i mean i've been depressed for long periods of time in the general sense of the word, but i don't think clinically depressed. there's always been a reason (other than just chemical imbalances) for when i've felt shit.

weed was my treatment for about a year, until i realised it only helps in the short term. eventually with a combination of meditation, sorting my life out and a few hard trips i ended up being pretty content with life.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: The depression poll. [Re: alsey]
    #5134233 - 01/03/06 07:59 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Nearly every expert/knowledgeable person in the mental health field would agree with the statement that:

"Depression is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors".

In addition, no one has ever claimed the disorder is communicable.

Would you be able to provide any evidence that genetics plays no role whatsoever in the etiology of depression?

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Edited by badchad (01/03/06 08:03 AM)

OfflineBrakkie
Myself
Loc: Rotterdam... The City of ...
Re: The depression poll. [Re: badchad]
    #5134242 - 01/03/06 08:15 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

True... My father has a depression, his father and mom were both depressed, his brother was depressed and is still in a mental institution, his sister commit suicide... so yeah my guess would be that it's genetic...

--------------------
"This combines the good sides of every other drug with none of the bad. This is the ultimate luxury, the flawless wisdom-pleasure hit. More mellow and cozy than heroin, but you don't nod out. I feel more alive and wired and energetic than with speed, but not jangly. Its got the blast of cocaine, but it lasted ten times longer."

"Going to the grave without ever having a psychedelic experience is like going to the grave without ever having sex. That means you will die before even becoming an adolescent." -Terence Mckenna

OfflineBrakkie
Myself
Loc: Rotterdam... The City of ...
    #5134245 - 01/03/06 08:18 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Would you be able to provide any evidence that genetics plays no role whatsoever in the etiology of depression?

Well My brother and sister don't have depression... My cousin from my fathers other sis's side don't have depression (or so I'm told)... And depression can be caused by environmental factors and not be transmitted to your kids.

So you should have 2 kinds of depression... a kind that would be genetic (something to do with hormones) and something that has to do with something that happened in your life.

--------------------
"This combines the good sides of every other drug with none of the bad. This is the ultimate luxury, the flawless wisdom-pleasure hit. More mellow and cozy than heroin, but you don't nod out. I feel more alive and wired and energetic than with speed, but not jangly. Its got the blast of cocaine, but it lasted ten times longer."

"Going to the grave without ever having a psychedelic experience is like going to the grave without ever having sex. That means you will die before even becoming an adolescent." -Terence Mckenna

InvisibleMike_yy
Male User Gallery

Re: The depression poll. [Re: Brakkie]
    #5134495 - 01/03/06 10:34 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I think ive been depressed for a long time, im 23 now and ive been having problems since i was 12. Ive been to the doc's loads of times, but they always say because i play my guitar and have afew other intrests that i carn't be, even though i can feel myself getting worse year by year. Last year (a year ago this new years) i had some sort of mental breakdown, where i started getting panic attacks and just feeling like id lost the plot, it took me months to recover from that but im just about ok now, though i still carry a low mood with me and this is what i hate so much.
I was always told when i was younger that the hardest part in treating depression was admitting that you are depressed, ive been prepared to admit it for years but the docs just dont listen.

i know im not an extreme case now, but with docs like ours i can see why loads of nutters (i mean the bad ones) go about unnoticed.

i get a touch of S.A.D at this time of year aswell with there being little sunlight and me being a lazy bastard lying in bed all day, roll on spring time.

Edited by Mike_yy (01/03/06 11:03 AM)

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #5134506 - 01/03/06 10:39 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I used to have fairly severe clinical depression, and my psychopharmacologist gave me an alphabet soup of medications to try to cure me. But nothing really worked...they all made me feel doped up or just gave me an artificial sense of happiness and well-being.

MDMA, meditation, and a few lifestyle changes really made all the difference and I can honestly say that while I do have an occassional period of the blues, I no longer feel constantly down and depressed.

Both of my parents have it and both are on medication for it.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #5135693 - 01/03/06 05:02 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Nearly every expert/knowledgeable person in the mental health field would agree with the statement that:

"Depression is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors".

In addition, no one has ever claimed the disorder is communicable.

Like I have asked (yet amazingly never been answered): Do you think it is possible for anyone to be genetically predisposed to enjoy life less than anyone else?

There is not one conclusive study which proves that depression is genetical, nor is there solid, irrefutable proof that brain chemicals are the cause of depression.
Like we have discussed in the homeopathy threads in S&P, you cannot prove a negative.

Look at the results of the poll so far. Right now, it seems that approx. 50% of the people who took the poll, have been diagnosed with depression.

Now, does 50% sound like an accurate genetical "defect"? Also, 21 people have taken drugs to "cure" their depression, while 18 of them still are not "cured".... what does this tell you?

I think America needs to really evaluate where modern mental health is headed. Look at any graph or stat of rates of depression.... surprisingly, you will find that since the early 90's it has increased constantly.
also, why does your chances of having depression increase with age? maybe because, the longer you live, the more chances you have to make yourself miserable?

Ok, you know what, maybe i am an asshole, maybe i am cynical. Im not asking you to like me, but to atleast attempt to see this alternative view towards mental health.... because apparently what is being done about it presently isnt working.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #5135833 - 01/03/06 05:33 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I think you're right in that while there is a strong association between certain genes and certain neurotransmitters and depression, ASSOCIATION DOES NOT IMPLY CAUSATION.

I think America needs to really evaluate where modern mental health is headed. Look at any graph or stat of rates of depression.... surprisingly, you will find that since the early 90's it has increased constantly.
also, why does your chances of having depression increase with age? maybe because, the longer you live, the more chances you have to make yourself miserable?

Yes. I think that while certain genes may predispose an individual to depression and similar disorders, it's the environment that plays the pivotal role. This kind of goes back to nature vs. nurture.

So I think that psychological treatment should be first and foremost and come before any medications. And I think that most medications are crap. Something you have to take on a daily basis in order to feel motivated, happy, calm, peaceful, etc. is a dependency, and while not inherently bad, a dependency like that will generally mask the symptoms and not address the underlying issue much, if at all.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleMike_yy
Male User Gallery

#5135882 - 01/03/06 05:47 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
Quote:

badchad said:

Like I have asked (yet amazingly never been answered): Do you think it is possible for anyone to be genetically predisposed to enjoy life less than anyone else?

I think some are more likely to get it than others, I know its to do with how bad things have been for you. but if two people could lead the same life, i doubt that the way they'ed react to it would be exactly the same. One person might cope better with that life than another does, this might suggest some predisposition. Impossible to test but im hoping you know what i mean.
Mine is caused by doing too many pills in my clubbing days, and a general hard life. but if i was somewhere doing what i wanted to do, and generally being happy, i think my depression would clear up alot quicker than it is.
One day i will be doing just that (touch wood)

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: The depression poll. [Re: Mike_yy]
    #5136131 - 01/03/06 07:03 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

happiness is relative. it is all about how you view life. it isnt based on the chemicals in your brain.

happiness comes from your reality. i imagine that you all would be severly depressed living in shithole, Africa as a 13 year old boy with HIV.... right? well, why dont those people have clinical depression?

It is because you live a certain life in America which has shaped your perception of what happiness is, how to attain it, and what subjective/descriptive terms you place upon it.

why are Americans the most afflicted nation when it comes to Depression?

OfflineReposadoXochipilli
Here, there, inbetween
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sand and sunshine
Re: The depression poll. [Re: Mike_yy]
    #5136172 - 01/03/06 07:11 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i was depressed all through out high school. now about 9 months after i am in a much better situation. i knew the source(s) but at the time i was not willing to change the situation. now after large amounts of upheaval in my life i am doing much better. have a significant other for the first time in my life, pretty much chemical free, and trying to get things taken care of.

i still have stuff hanging over my head, legal troubles are a bitch. i have never seen a doc for depression, depression "runs" in the family. my mother and one of my brothers take wellbutrin. i used pot and other drugs to deal with my issues, but until i was out of school i did not have it in me to change. i dealt with several issues, the most disturbing to myself was how layered or split i was. through it all i think the thing that held me down the most was how pointless it was, being gay in a small rural community is a no go and the reasons behind it are so irrational. after coming out to a couple people and moving things are much better. getting into school and getting a new job are helping also, now once i get some friends in this new area i will be good to go.

sorry if that didn't really apply to the thread, just trying to explain my part in the poll.

damn that sounds so negitive. not to say i was hating my life all the time or anything. i had a good group of friends and enjoyed a lot of things. just under it all i was in a fucked up situation.

--------------------

Edited by ReposadoXochipilli (01/03/06 07:14 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom