Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Poppie smiley needs assistance
    #5128931 -



I 'made' this gif hoping to make one like others have made the peyote and salvia smileys. I'm stuck.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Poppie smiley needs assistance [Re: World Spirit]
    #5128936 -

How do I get the white background out so it blends with the board background?

How do I shrink it without messing it up?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Poppie smiley needs assistance [Re: World Spirit]
    #5128979 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Poppie smiley needs assistance [Re: World Spirit]
    #5129308 -

?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Poppie smiley needs assistance [Re: World Spirit]
    #5129349 -

There is usually a translucent color selection in most programs... I don't know what program you use to edit images, but it should be in there. With most of the older apps it will appear pink.
If a "fill" function doesn't take up all of the white color, then using a selection tool, you can fill up the area... it is very meticulous but Ive seen people use it pretty skillfully.
The windows xp paint "stretch/skew" is a really easy way to resize stuff.


--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Poppie smiley needs assistance [Re: World Spirit]
    #5130387 -

Hi, I'm back. Got your PM.

In GIMP (I don't have photoshop ATM, so I don't remember how it is there) you can either select the shape with the lasso tool (very tedious) and then copy/paste as new image (CTRL-C  then right click the image and select edit-> paste as new)

or first tell the program that you want transparancy:
right click the image (or use the menu at the top) image->Alpha->Add alpha channel. (The alpha channel governs the tranparancy of each pixel.)

then remove the parts you want to have transparent.
I started with the magic wand tool to select the white and used CTRL-X to cut it out.

leaving something like this:


(You'll notice that the parts that are transparent will show up as a block pattern in the editor)

Then I up the magnification, so I can see each pixel clearly, select a fine nib and choose the eraser tool to remove the rest by hand.

giving this result:


When I view it now in my post, I can see clearly a couple of white pixels that I've missed and that need to be fixed, which I would do in the next step  while adding a black outline to the icon. (with the pencil and erase tools and the one pixel nib)

one final suggestion when working on such a small scale: Double click the eraser icon and select "hard edge" from the options dialog.

And don't forget to save it in a format that can handle transparency. I usually use the native format for intermediary saves (that's .xcf for GIMP, and .psd for Photoshop) and to export to the web, either .gif (which knows only fully trasparent and fully opaque pixels) or the newer .png format (which handles transparency correctly, but is rendered poorly in older browsers, especially older  versions of Internet Explorer)

Resizing in GIMP: select Image->scale Image from the menu, or if you want to resize a selected part:

select from the main menu the scaling tool and double click it's icon to get the options menu. select scaling and you can move edges and corners to scale the selection. If you want to keep the aspect ratio so you don't squash it, you have to press CTRL+ALT while dragging. (I've been using the GIMP since 1998 and I had to look this up on the web just now :laugh:)

As long as you don't have to publish on paper, GIMP is a very powerful tool, probably even more powerful than photoshop, but it has an interface that is very hard to figure out. (It's somewhat better in the newer versions but still a very steep learning curve)

For all your photoshop questions, I refer you to the art forum, where you'll find PS geniuses who can do this sort of thing backwards in their sleep while  writing a Goa trance track with their other hand.  :grin:

Edited by koppie (01/02/06 03:56 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Poppie smiley needs assistance [Re: koppie]
    #5130403 -

I already fixed it, go look in the smiley thread in WAF.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Poppie smiley needs assistance [Re: RESTLESS]
    #5130429 -

Nice work.
Well the guy wants to learn, so I'thought I'd give him a little more explanation than "/\/\4D sk1llz0rzzz".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Poppie smiley needs assistance [Re: koppie]
    #5131408 -

Your milk thistle icon needs fixin' too

:milkthistle:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Poppie smiley needs assistance [Re: koppie]
    #5131842 -

Thanks koppie!!! Seriously!.

As for the other guy, restless, he's alright. He's a bit self-righteous but I now consider him a friend.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Poppie smiley needs assistance [Re: World Spirit]
    #5131940 -

That's so sweet.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Poppie smiley needs assistance [Re: RESTLESS]
    #5131978 -

Are you hitting on me, dude?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* poppie yeild boomer420 3,242 9 12/01/17 11:24 AM
by P.Zappatecorum
* Time to plant poppies in North East US? badreligion2good 5,724 12 03/03/07 05:33 PM
by ShroomOmatic
* Poppies - from Poppyseed to Opium
( 1 2 3 4 ... 32 33 )
AsanteM 272,048 652 09/15/24 07:17 PM
by DAW76
* lame poppy question - interspecies breeding possible? felixhigh 2,785 8 10/31/03 10:00 PM
by felixhigh
* Poppy fertiliser and seed question (SOS) paradok 1,006 2 05/15/06 05:16 PM
by paradok
* Poppies
( 1 2 all )
recalcitrant 5,129 30 12/09/04 10:51 PM
by kadakuda
* Debunking the poppy seed rumor?
( 1 2 all )
theocean06 11,354 20 08/24/16 06:13 PM
by extrajordanary
* poppy pods
( 1 2 all )
Soul 3,962 20 05/07/05 06:31 PM
by Soul

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
797 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 30 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.