Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
When to pasteurize, and when to sterlize
    #5100413 - 12/24/05 02:48 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, I've been reading and rereading the faqs and explanations of both pasteurization, and sterlization. I get that sterlizing kills everything, whereas pasteurizing removes things that spores will grow on contained within the substrate (please correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm trying to learn). Now, when is it time to pasteurize a substrate, and when should you sterlize it? Wouldn't it make sense to simply sterlize every bit of substrate you have access to?

Does one work better than the other given optimal conditions? Lots of questions I know, but I'm still unsure about this whole thing.

--------------------

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: When to pasteurize, and when to sterlize [Re: wiggles]
    #5100520 - 12/24/05 03:32 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

You must sterilize grain & WBS spawn.

You pasteurize bulk substrates like BULK compost &/or h/poo, leaving beneficial microbes.

When to introduce colonized grain/wbs spawn at a 20%+ rate to a pasteurized substrate, it will take over & eat those beneficial microbes as nutrients.

If a bulk substrate is sterilized. Everything introduced or that simply gets to it.......must be sterile, as any (good/bad/ugly) microbe (other than colonized spawn) that gets to it - will germinate, sprout & grow. :eek: :mad2:

--------------------

Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: When to pasteurize, and when to sterlize [Re: agar]
    #5100592 - 12/24/05 04:14 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks so much agar! That actually makes sense now :smile: I'm so used to the faqs stating how mycelium is weak and frail, nice to see that it CAN kick some butt.

--------------------

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale