Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
5HTP relieves trip anxiety
    #597946 - 04/03/02 07:39 PM (22 years, 18 days ago)

From a post on Erowid about Morning Glory seeds:

I had never felt so anxious on any other drug in my life...

I decided to take a large amount of 5HTP (15 capsules within about 20 mins). This completely transformed the experience. My anxiety COMPLETELY disappeard. I felt exactly as I do on a fairly strong E... I LOVED IT! I spent the night mostly sitting in the same chair having the best time of my life. I wanted the experience never to end.

Anyone ever try 5HTP to help with an anxious mushroom or LSD voyage?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
Re: 5HTP relieves trip anxiety [Re: Swami]
    #598449 - 04/04/02 09:29 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

What is it?

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: 5HTP relieves trip anxiety [Re: Fliquid]
    #598499 - 04/04/02 10:20 AM (22 years, 17 days ago)

An internet search engine is an amazing thing. Try it!

5-HTP
Author/s: Belinda Rowland

Description
5-HTP, the acronym for 5-hydroxytryptophan (or 5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan), is a compound found primarily in the brain. 5-HTP is made from tryptophan, a natural amino acid found in the diet. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid, which means that it cannot be made by the body so it must be obtained from food, particularly from proteins. In the liver and brain, 5-HTP is converted to an important monoamine neurotransmitter called serotonin. Neurotransmitters are chemical messengers that transmit signals between neurons (nerve cells) in the brain.

Taking 5-HTP increases the body's supply of 5-HTP, which leads to increased levels of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin, also called 5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT, plays an important role in controlling behavior and moods. It influences many normal brain activities and also acts as a traffic cop by regulating the activity of other neurotransmitters. Having adequate levels of serotonin instills a feeling of relaxation, calmness, and mild euphoria (extreme happiness). On the contrary, low levels of serotonin, called serotonin deficiency syndrome, leads to depression, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, and many other problems.

Conditions associated with low levels of serotonin include:

anxiety
attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder
bulimia
depression
epilepsy
fibromyalgia
headaches
hyperactivity
insomnia
obesity
obsessive-compulsive disorder
panic attacks
premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
schizophrenia
seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
5-HTP has other effects on the body. It is an antioxidant that protects the body from damage by substances called free radicals (unstable, toxic molecules). In this role, 5-HTP may help slow down the aging process and protect the body from illness. Because serotonin is used to make melatonin, taking 5-HTP may help achieve some of the same benefits as melatonin, such as treating jet lag, depression, and insomnia. There is some evidence that 5-HTP can replenish the supply of the pain-relieving molecules called endorphins. Studies have shown that low levels of endorphins are associated with chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, stress, and depression. In addition, 5-HTP affects other neurotransmitters, including norepinephrine and dopamine.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinered1
journeyman
    #599429 - 04/05/02 08:46 AM (22 years, 17 days ago)

I've got to say that 5-htp is one of the best things that I've ever come across. After taking Zoloft, Paxil, and Serzone, this is almost a miracle drug for me. I refused for years to take perscription anti depressants because they took away all sense of highs and lows when I was on them. With 50mg of 5-htp twice a day I feel, for lack of a better word, normal.
As far as htp and shrooms I've only done it once. On one of the sites about 5-htp they say that taking a B vitamin complex with it helps to improve the effectivness.
This said I took my normal amount of 5-htp as well as a B vitamin serveral hours before the trip. Plans changed and I only ended up eating a little under a gram of caps as opposed to the two grams I was going to eat. This was probably a happy accident because the cap I ate ended up having a much stronger effect than I had anticipated. The easy answer to this wold be to say that I got better shrooms than I was expecting but I know exactly what I took and had had others from the same batch several times before. The trip was closer to a gram and a half or two gram trip and was more ecstatic than usual.
I would strongly recommend trying 5-htp and shrooms. I think the key to it if you don't take htp on a regular basis would be to take it at least several hours before the shrooms and use a B vitamin. Ideally you might want to take the htp for a day or two before for the full effect.
I don't know how accurate all this is from a technical standpoint but it worked great for me. It could have been a placebo effect but I don't think so given how well the 5htp works for me on its own.
If ayone else knows about this I'd love to hear othe stories.

--------------------
Don't Panic!

OfflineSimple_Ed
journeyman
    #600358 - 04/06/02 05:32 AM (22 years, 16 days ago)

Does anyone have any information on how long it takes the body to convert 5-HTP into seratonin, as ive heard conflicting information, everything from instantly to 40 days.

Peace

--------------------
"Don't go plastic" - Tom Jenkinson

Offlinechamp
pudding pop
 User Gallery

Loc: unknown trashscape
Re: 5HTP relieves trip anxiety [Re: red1]
    #601185 - 04/07/02 08:21 AM (22 years, 15 days ago)

I often take 5-htp and it has really done a lot of good things for me. I am not usually depressive but I take it to stave off the effects of occasional mdma usage, I keep taking it because it makes me feel well-regulated (I eat better, sleep better and have more vivid dreams that I can remember more easily. I also think it might have improved my skin, but that could be due to these amazing anti-oxidant supplements I take.

OfflineOrchidman
enthusiast
Loc: Toronto
Re: 5HTP relieves trip anxiety [Re: Simple_Ed]
    #601246 - 04/07/02 10:04 AM (22 years, 15 days ago)

I have been taking the 5-HTP for a long time to help me sleep. I take it at 4pm and it converts to Seratonin within a couple of hours. When I turn lights out (early) it converts to melatonin (sleep hormone) If I don't take it I don't sleep well that night. I believe it works quickly and dissapates overnight.

--------------------
I've been having psilly dreams lately

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: 5HTP relieves trip anxiety [Re: Orchidman]
    #601252 - 04/07/02 10:13 AM (22 years, 15 days ago)

which sounds like your addicted to it. Continuous use of any suplement can cause problems in your natural feedback controls.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

OfflineOzzyGod
Stranger
Re: 5HTP relieves trip anxiety [Re: DinoMyc]
    #5013187 - 12/04/05 09:27 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

well has anyone used this stuff with shrooms. If its really good at getting rid of anxiety, then how much should i take? How long before i take the shrooms should i take the 5-htp. anyone help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Where do you get it?

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: 5HTP relieves trip anxiety [Re: OzzyGod]
    #5013202 - 12/04/05 09:40 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

It's nice this thread popped up....after a difficult morning with panic attacks and anxiety I am definately going to try 5-htp.

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: 5HTP relieves trip anxiety [Re: MOTH]
    #5013249 - 12/04/05 10:08 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I've been meaning to get some as well. Used to work at a whole foods store, sold lots of it.

People are into it for recovery after rolls. Some take it before or during a roll to have the roll work better, or take away negative side effects. It is a precursor for serotonin, something MDMA depletes. But other trips will release a good amount it feels like, just not completely zap you of it.

Psychedelics aside, I'd like to see how 5-htp feels.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

OfflineOzzyGod
Stranger
    #5013257 - 12/04/05 10:10 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

where do u get it?

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #5013352 - 12/04/05 10:36 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
From a post on Erowid about Morning Glory seeds:
<br>
<br>I had never felt so anxious on any other drug in my life...
<br>
<br>I decided to take a large amount of 5HTP (15 capsules within about 20 mins). This completely transformed the experience. My anxiety COMPLETELY disappeard. I felt exactly as I do on a fairly strong E... I LOVED IT! I spent the night mostly sitting in the same chair having the best time of my life. I wanted the experience never to end.

<br>
<br>Anyone ever try 5HTP to help with an anxious mushroom or LSD voyage?

5htp, is transformd to Serotonin...

most drugs, like XTC, is releaser's, not intoxicants...

it releases "unnatural" amount of serotonin, at once, giving you that euphoric feel...

if you got no serotonin, the XTC will work, but it will not have anything to be realizing..

thus.. eating 5HTP filling you serotonin sacks to the brim, makes it spill some.. (maybe even more than usual, and that is why 5htp worked as a "happy pill") thus.. Taking XTC wile having eaten LOTS and LOTS of 5htp, will result in a more "heavy" trip..

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Loc: Ontario
Re: 5HTP relieves trip anxiety [Re: OzzyGod]
    #5013391 - 12/04/05 10:47 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I would be cautios of taking too much 5HTP at once - taking too much can lead to Serotonin Syndrome - which can be /very/ unpleasent, and just make your trip that much worse. It may cause Seretonin Syndrome when in use with SSRI's - not sure if it can cause it on it's own, or if its only a complication of being used with other medications.

Also, 5HTP can also have the side effects of

Quote:

5-HTP may cause mild gastrointestinal disturbances including nausea, heartburn, flatulence, feelings of fullness, and rumbling sensations in some people. Pregnant or nursing women and individuals with high blood pressure or diabetes should consult a healthcare practitioner before taking 5-HTP.

I've had 5HTP make me *VERY* sick before - make sure you have something like food in your stomach while taking it.

This isnt to say 5HTP is bad - it is a /very/ usefull suppliment all around, but from my personal expiernces with it - I would avoid slamming back 15 pills at once. I've had as little as two 100mg pills make me VERY sick before, and had me leaning over a tiolet vomiting my guts out.

Awhile ago, was taking 5HTP before/after doing E at parties, I think this may of just been the name-brand I had bought, but I found if I took it on an overly empty stomach - it would make me feel neaseous for an hour or so after taking it.

Then, went to the club, danced up a storm - came home, was relaxing on the couch and took a 5HTP - laying on the couch, and the most HORRIBLE neasuea started to come over me, and I spent about an hour throwing up in the bathroom.

So, just be carefull - I'd try taking a few 5HTPs on their own before, before jumping to the conclusion that they will 'help stop a bad trip', as you may end up eating back 10 of them hoping they will make the trip better - and you may fidn yourself 10x worse off then you were to begin with.

Just because its legal and avail OTC at health food stores, doesnt mean it wont make you sick.

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Re: 5HTP relieves trip anxiety [Re: kaniz]
    #5013434 - 12/04/05 11:01 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Also, another 'bad' expierence with 5HTP.

note: I am not 100% sure if this is a direct result of 5HTP, or what, but it's the only thing I can think of which caused this.

- Was taking 5HTP regularly for a few days, one night I was drinking a bit, and then went to bed. I was having a hard time falling a sleep, and for some reason I forgot "did I take 5HTP today or not?", and 5HTP can also be used to regulate sleep. Anyways, I get up and take 200mg worth of 5HTP, and hop back into bed.

Few hours later, I wake up with the most HORRIBLE pain in my stomach/gut, and I ended up having a really really bad case of the shits - I go running to the bathroom. But, this wasnt your normal shits, it was full on screaming in pain agony.

I am also hallucinating oh so slightly - feeling dizzy, walls breathing, feeling neasueas - all around unpleasent

Anyways, this was also the last day at my job for the summer, and had a few loose ends to finish off while at work, so I couldnt really call in sick for the day. So, I take some Imodium in hopes of putting a plug on things, and *TRY* to make it to work.

after much effort - I finnaly make it to work (an hour late), and spend a few hours simply hunched over my desk in AGONY - my boss see's that I'm in no shape to be there, and sends me home.

I get back home - almost in tears on the subway I am in so much pain. Flop onto my bed and pass out for an hour or two, my BF comes home from work early because I am in such rough shape.

I am now at the point of which I am simply screaming at random because of the pain, and we decide I should goto the doctors.

The nearest walk in clinic was all of a block and a half away - this walk took about 10x as long as it should, as I kept having to sit down I was in so much pain.

We get to the building that the doctors are supposed to be in, and I cant be bothered to look for them, I simply sit on the stairs and tell my BF to find where the doctors are, then to lead me there once he finds them - and I spent about 10 mins just hunched over in absolute agony just wanting to die it hurt so much.

note: I have a VERY high threshold for pain, I've broken bones and havnt cried before.

Anyways, we get to the doctors - she gets in to see me and examines me, during this point, the pain gets so bad I just full out break down and start crying my eyes out it hurt so much.

Then, I vomit - and I vomit some more, and then continue to vomit some more, she comes by, gives me a heafty injection of Graveol, and suggests I goto emergency.

I ended up just going home and sleeping for about 14 hours straight blissed out on a high dose of liquid graveol.

Now, I am not 100% sure if the 5HTP was the cause of this, or if the 5HTP was the cause of the stomach problems in the morning, and it was taking the Imodum that complicated things and made it that much worse.

But, the pain/discomfort I felt, was similar to the other times 5HTP has made me sick - just amplified by about 1000.

I think this may of just been the name-brand of 5HTP, I'm unsure - as the one that gave me problems was

NOW
5-HTP
Natural source
100mg.

I have taken 5HTP before of other name brands with no problems.

I'll still take 5HTP - but, just be sure to take it on a full stomach, and if you end up getting the shits as a result - dont take Imodium :P

in short: dont just go slining high-doses of stuff into your body in hopes of ending a trip, imagine going through the above - but while tripping on LSA? It was a horrible enough expierence on its own.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#5014315 - 12/04/05 03:33 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

When I stopped taking SSRI's cold turkey I got the same feelings. Bleh, it sucked more than anything I've ever experienced. I don't want to go through seritonen syndrome!

I considered getting some at a local health store but I take too many god damned suppliments. Next time I trip I may take one or two to cool off the pre trip anxiety.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Re: 5HTP relieves trip anxiety [Re: browndustin]
    #5014357 - 12/04/05 03:45 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

all in all - I do think 5HTP is good and worth taking, but also think it's worth noting that it can come with some unpleasent side effects at times.

All to often people assume because its natural, or avail at a healthfood store - it cant make you sick.

Offlinesandman_130
Neo-Classical Spiritualist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #5014629 - 12/04/05 05:04 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I take 1 daily, usually just one, but a few days before a trip I will take 3 daily, as with the 3 days after the trip.

I have been doing this for years and its always good to have around.

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand.":mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

:sunny::mushroom2:Maria Sabina:mushroom2::sunny:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: 5HTP relieves trip anxiety [Re: sandman_130]
    #5014645 - 12/04/05 05:07 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Do you feel 5htp would help ease daily anxiety?

OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
    #5014681 - 12/04/05 05:15 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I take 5-HTP with some things that I do (I did it with 2C-I once, and always have them ready for when I roll).

I wouldn't advise taking lots of it, but however taking around 100-200mg can be pretty beneficial IMO with MDMA / psychedelics etc.

Buying 5-HTP online is WAY cheaper. I bought a thing of 30 100mg pills at a store near me one time for about $15, and then online you can get a bottle of 60 100mg pills for around $9 I think it was. I think I have noticed a slight off base feeling after taking about 100mg of the stuff before (may have been placebo though), however I wouldn't consider trying to get high off just 5HTP alone.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules