Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? *DELETED* *DELETED*
    #4921076 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: "


Votes accepted from the dawn of the universe until the end of time

View the results of this poll


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? [Re: Lakefingers]
    #4921410 -

Perhaps its the drop-out in me talking, but I don't think that philosophy is a subject where traditional schooling provides any clear advantage other than the knowledge of names and dates. While these are of course important, assuming they are essential to the practice is, I think, like saying an unschooled musician is incapable of understanding music.
I think knowing the history and development of anything brings an appreciation and a focus to what is already known, but I don't think it is always an advantage in terms of general comprehension.

But then again:
^^^^^^^^
*Drop-out*


--------------------
In a state of anarchy every individual is their own kingdom.

Thou art God (but so am i :wink:)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? *DELETED* [Re: seeker]
    #4921457 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: "

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? [Re: Lakefingers]
    #4921486 -

You must also note that it is possible to study philosophy independently, not within the realm of higher-education. This person could easily gain the benefits of scholarly wisdom without actually attending courses.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? *DELETED* [Re: Redstorm]
    #4921498 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: "

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? [Re: Lakefingers]
    #4921517 -

Also, academic debate is a huge asset when trying to learn something new.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? [Re: Lakefingers]
    #4921540 -

I am a philosophy major and am in my junior year of study now. What is the difference between Analytical and Continental?? Hehe.

In any case I do not want to insult any non students here. Certainly an untrained philosopher can be just as wise as a trained one. The major benefits come from being exposed to a wide variety of view points on a wide variety of issues. I think that if more Shroomerites had spent time studying philosophy academically, a lot of their questions would have already been answered for them. For example, I already know that I a determinist, materialist, don't believe in a self, etc. and can use my already well thought out positions as bases from which to philosophize on the shroomery.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? *DELETED* [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #4921613 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: Reason enough.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? [Re: Redstorm]
    #4921653 -

"...the difference between philosophy (shooting the shit) and philosophy (attempting to rigorously make statements about the world and or deconstruct the world)"
I may be simplifying this to much, but while sex and masturbation will both get your rocks off (assuming this is your goal), only one provides an enjoyable full body workout as well as nervous release. I think as long as your attempting to refine and further your understanding of the subject and not just push your assumptions then your not just jerking off.

"If you haven't studied the history and development of philosophy then what are you philosophizing about?"
Have you never come across something in study that you find you were already aware of? I'm not fluent in quantum physics, but from what, I think, I know the current standard model of the universe is not drastically different from the one I use in my head. Even the dimmest of us should have some understanding of the nature of man considering we're all currently being one.

"Are you just taking concepts you've picked up in daily life, rotating them about and bending their rules?"
Were the philosophers of old supermen who shit Truth on command?
They observed the world around them, listened to what individuals they considered wise had to say, and then added their own two cents. No?


--------------------
In a state of anarchy every individual is their own kingdom.

Thou art God (but so am i :wink:)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? [Re: seeker]
    #4921740 -

seeker said:
I may be simplifying this to much, but while sex and masturbation will both get your rocks off (assuming this is your goal), only one provides an enjoyable full body workout as well as nervous release.  I think as long as your attempting to refine and further your understanding of the subject and not just push your assumptions then your not just jerking off.



Nice metaphor, and nice perspective. :thumbup: :mushroom2:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? [Re: Redstorm]
    #4921926 -

Academic debate is arguably key and crucial to obtaining philosophical knowledge.

Solitary study does not provide this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? [Re: spud]
    #4922036 -

if i say to myself, "the mind and brain are one," i'm always wrong, whereas if i say to a professor, "the mind and brain are one," there's a chance i'm right
?


--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? [Re: Lakefingers]
    #4922196 -

I have just recently finished a paper on Heidegger. We are now moving on to Merleau Ponty and some others. We also covered Sartre and Camus a little. The word we have learned for these guys' philosophy is phenomenology.

I absolutely 100% hate Heidegger and all these other philosophers. It seems all of their philosophy is based on our experience, which we know is illusory. Basing your philosophical arguments on something known to be illusion, that seems like a big mis-step to me. Not to mention he writes like some kind of asshole. My friends and I spent half an hour while drunk laughing at how this guy writes in such a way that is so dense as to make it ridiculous.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? *DELETED* [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #4922299 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: Reason enough.

Edited by Lakefingers (11/11/05 01:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #4922624 -

"It seems all of their philosophy is based on our experience, which we know is illusory. Basing your philosophical arguments on something known to be illusion, that seems like a big mis-step to me."

When it grows cold in the forest of thought, I often rub two illusions together vigorously for warmth.


--------------------
In a state of anarchy every individual is their own kingdom.

Thou art God (but so am i :wink:)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? [Re: Lakefingers]
    #4922875 -

I like some of Heidegger's ideas. I liked how he raises such issues as enframement and totally agree with that. Perhaps my hate for these guys stems from the fact that I don't really know what they are getting at quite yet. I suppose I was overly harsh in my post, honestly I didn't hate Heidegger until I had to write a paper on him, which is a terrible thing to have to do. I had to condense all of the ideas of his Technology essay into a 2-3 page essay, it was such a burnout.

The next class after being totally burnt out on Heidegger, I was presented with Sartre's idea that existence comes before essence. And while I agree that we certainly develop our essence as time goes on, it seems to completely disregard all we know about psychology.

I may be jumping the gun a bit on judging these guys. But it just seems to me they rely completely on subjective reality and pay no heed to an objective reality. This relates very closely to Skorpivo's thread about the validity of sense perception which I just replied to. I would put these guys in the category of those I am arguing against in that thread.

Please go look at my reply in their and my feelings towards the philosophers mentionted here. Am I misunderstanding them, and judging them too soon, because of the terrible experience I had having to write this paper on Heidegger? :P

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #4923410 -

I'm definitely more of the continental variety... well, modified pragmatist... it doesn't really fit into analytical or continental.

Academic philosophy gets a bad rap... because most philosophy programs (in the US) lean more toward the analytic/Kantian school. And that school sucks (I think it's the absolutism).


--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? [Re: Lakefingers]
    #4923525 -

I've taken 3 philosophy courses: Intro, Existentialism & Phenomenology, and Ethics & Moral Philosophy. Also, considering that sociology(my major) is a discipline which branched out from philosophy, I have also studied many social theorists who could count as philosophers. I would say that I lean more towards continental philosophy, though it is often more difficult to understand. I definitely think that debate is crucial to having a greater understanding and appreciation for philosophy, even more so than studying it. This is why I look down upon Ayn Rand and her Objectivist school, as it basically teaches that people who disagree with it are "irrational" and should not be bothered with. Anyway, I think that studying academic philosophy is helpful in the sense that being exposed to as many new ideas as possible is always helpful. However, one can learn just as much from the philosophies of any intellectuals they know in real life as they can from reading the ideas of famous philosophers.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? [Re: Lakefingers]
    #4924236 -

I received a B.A. degree, with honors, in philosophy (2/2/76). I studied with the well known parapsychologist (he co-published with J.B. Rhine) and Egyptologist (TLC) Dr. Bob Brier.


--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? *DELETED* [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4928104 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: No reason.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Religious Philosophy vs. Secular Philosophy MarkostheGnostic 3,749 19 04/02/07 12:18 PM
by MarkostheGnostic
* Western philosophy and Chinese philosophy Cracka_X 895 2 08/18/06 03:14 AM
by Cracka_X
* A philosophy degree?
( 1 2 3 all )
rogue_pixie 7,974 57 11/30/04 05:05 AM
by rogue_pixie
* Philosophy: Who needs it?
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,289 24 05/27/08 06:51 AM
by zouden
* Cool philosophy books Demonichildren 922 8 02/18/06 05:14 PM
by Noetical
* Bad Philosophy Is Inconsistent
( 1 2 3 4 all )
SkorpivoMusterion 8,560 72 02/16/06 07:20 PM
by SkorpivoMusterion
* Philosophy Links
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 6,732 36 05/25/04 09:26 AM
by Deviant

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
5,298 topic views. 1 members, 6 guests and 22 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.057 seconds spending 0.031 seconds on 21 queries.