Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
germinating azurescens - help!
    #491189 - 12/14/01 03:40 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

hi people! my wookie friend just put his hands in a p. azurescens print (from wild) and now he's wondering which would be the best way for him to start... he has already mastered cubes cultivation but he's has not yet mastered agar cultivation yet so he thought about using the 'Eric's Guide To Cultivating Psilocybe Azurescens/Cyanescens' (in the growing/other species section of shrrmry)... what are your opinions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineazurescen
meanderinemushie muncher
Loc: bellingham wa
Re: germinating azurescens - help! [Re: felixhigh]
    #491305 - 12/14/01 05:51 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

you would be well advised to try agar for all outdoor prints. you *could* make a syringe, but I would venture it would present more problems than it is worth. what has worked for others in the past is to innoculate whole grain(I prefer millet/quinoa) and then transfer to sterilzed chips laid in a bed outdoors. also, if you have noticed, dune grass, a.k.a the good shit, makes piles of dune straw under the upright grass. these piles can be a foot deep. I would venture tyhat a layer of straw over chips would increase fruitings, as well as hold in valuable moisture.
what Afoaf is trying is to add chips/'sawdust to the whole grain in jars and proceed with colinization from there

--------------------
if the sign says dont pick the mushrooms, you should probably pick them

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: germinating azurescens - help! [Re: azurescen]
    #491323 - 12/14/01 06:11 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

azurescen or someone else who can answer this,

say someone got an isolate on agar, how would he know whether or not this isolate will produce fruits. It would suck to go through the process of getting a nice clean isolate, innoculating grain, spawning chips, and starting an outdoor bed only to find out that the original isolate can't produce mushrooms...

Does it all come out to chance or luck?

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

OfflineAzure
old hand
Loc: California, USA
Re: germinating azurescens - help! [Re: Olgualion]
    #491543 - 12/14/01 10:07 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

When makiing isolates with agar, you don't just want to grow out one isolate...grow out a couple because there's no way of telling whether the strain will fruit or not without fruiting it or cloning a fruit body.
The easiest way to do it is to make a spore solution and let it sit for about two days to hydrate. Then, you can innoculate brf/vermiculite cakes with the syringe, depending on the sterility of the print. I've had sucess with brf/vermiculite cakes from outdoor prints.

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #491764 - 12/15/01 04:59 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

ummm...
i thought of an hybrid... what if i make a syringe with nutrients (like potato broth + dextrose) and gentamicyn? its summer down here and it makes agar work much more risky (my wookie being a beginner in agar multiplies that risk), i'd like to avoid...
does it grows as fast as cubensis? does it fight off contams like cubes or they're weaker?
thanks everybody for the input!

Offline3nric
bastard
    #491782 - 12/15/01 05:27 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

i haven't cultivated it, but from what i've heard from www.theforestfloor.org, the best bet would be a piece of cardeboard, instead of agar, from what i've heard is pretty selective with the thing that grow on it, and the azures as cellulose lovers will grow very well on it, just my thoughts, no experience

Invisiblesrivatsa
Stranger

#491991 - 12/15/01 12:01 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

From what I've read Cardboard is less subject to contamination than woodchips. Newspaper also works (I wouldnt use color print though).

If you want to use containers you can inoculate sheets of cardboard with spawn. Lay them at the bottom of tray and put 2 - 4 inch layer of fresh wood chips on top. Otherwise make beds.

If you know where the mushrooms are you can dig up some spawn and put it on some wet cardboard. Easier than spores.

Something that might be easiest to start spores is to put a couple peices of cardboard in a jar soak and sterilize. Start your spores on it. You might not have to sterilize. You could try some non sterilized also. I would pick clean cardboard though. You can even peel the outer layers off to make it better.

I'm going to the woods to collect deer, elk, moose poop, dead grass, straw, and some nice small logs. I think its possible to work without sterilization. I will be focusing on this in my future experiments.

Good Luck

Offlineazurescen
meanderinemushie muncher
Loc: bellingham wa
Re: germinating azurescens - help! [Re: srivatsa]
    #492003 - 12/15/01 12:13 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

you will have limited success with spores to cardboard. If the print was from a newly opened specimin, then I would think your chances of making a syringe would be better. try whole grain instead of brf/vermic, It will spread out better. So say that you do make a styringe and get some clean jars. Then, you could lay a layer of wet cardboard outdoors in a bed dug approx 1 ft deep. then put a layer of colonized grain, then another cardboard layer followed by approx 6 inches of hardwood chips/sawdust(a large variation in size is essential for a healthy mycelial matrix) not too much more, because then the growth of thermophilic fungi is enhanced. over that, I wopuld layer a few inches of straw, then a light hummus layer on top.
I find locations with a gentle slope to work better than flat areas. and if tall grass can be encouraged to grow over the bed, then even better.

--------------------
if the sign says dont pick the mushrooms, you should probably pick them

Invisiblesrivatsa
Stranger

#492008 - 12/15/01 12:17 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Here is a good idea I found:

(Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms)

" By cutting the stem butt of Psilocybe azurescens and "sandwiching" it into wetted, corrugated cardboard, the tissue soon regrows into a vigorous culture, in effect, creating "cardboard spawn." By placing wood chips on top of the myceliated cardboard, a renewable, perennial outdoor, sacred mushroom patch can be started, one that can last decades."

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #492916 - 12/16/01 01:47 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

azurescen can one use fresh hardwood chips for this process? if not where would you be able to find composted hardwood chips?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: germinating azurescens - help! [Re: Snobrdr311] * 1
    #492927 - 12/16/01 02:00 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Either fresh or dried and wetted.
But not degraded by sopme other fungus. Azurescens is a primary decomposer.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck