Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineheadset
Stranger
Communal living situations...
    #4898539 - 11/05/05 09:12 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Anyone else live in debateably experimental atmospheres?

I live in a massive house with 9 others and nearly every night one or more house guests.

At one time i was living in a house a 1/3rd the size with upto 15+ people staying the night...

Lots of dumpstered food, communal meals, massive piles of dishes, strange parties....

Im just getting into my current house now, its starting to work out well for everyone. Respect is key. Im happy to go longboarding at 3 in the morning, talk about music, party, talk, write.. whatever. There's always something going on and something to do, but sometimes you just wanna hide. + its really cheap!

anyone lived in similar situations.. How do you find communism in this sense. Foodsharing/respect/skill sharing...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

Re: Communal living situations... [Re: headset]
    #4898545 - 11/05/05 09:14 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

i live alone...and most probally will for a while longer.

most i've lived with was 6(incuding me)...it wasn't too bad.

--------------------

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #4898548 - 11/05/05 09:15 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Similar, except for that whole "dumpstered food" deal.  And by similar I mean I lived at school in a buddy's house for a while.  And yeah I guess communal meals = large dinners? :confused: ...

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4898553 - 11/05/05 09:18 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

It's hard for me to imagine, considering how uneasy I am living with just one roommate(and my current roommate is a whole lot better than ones I've had in the past).

--------------------

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
Re: Communal living situations... [Re: Silversoul]
    #4898814 - 11/05/05 10:29 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

9 people!? Jesus christ. I don't know if I could do that, I wouldn't want more then 2 roommates.

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

Offlinekilroy69
POKER GOD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jackson,MI. And not in pr...
Re: Communal living situations... [Re: Harbinger]
    #4898868 - 11/05/05 10:43 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I live with my brother in a 2 room apartment. Its not bad but our house is the jumping off point for anything that goes on. so at any given time we could have 6 or 7 guys here.

--------------------
Yeaaa im still alive.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Communal living situations... [Re: kilroy69]
    #4898987 - 11/05/05 11:14 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Wow killroy, I haven't seen the likes of you around here in a while!  Welcome home :grin:
(ps. Hear you were lookin' for Sterile - Check out: this thread)

As for communal living.. after I got caught for being naughty I was sent to a military academy for a month one summer years past, my parents thought St. John's Northwestern in Wisconsin might help straighten my ass out.  While totally different than the "college type" of communal, I had to live in 'bunkers' with perhaps 50 other kids and it was interesting and fun in its own right.. but very different. Most I've really lived with at a time is sharing a suite with four people at UCSB my first year of college back at the turn of the century.  Since then, I shared a house with two others in Santa Cruz for a year and that was really sweet (since we all had our own rooms!), and also spent a year on campus in the dorms at UCSC.. but now I'm livin' by my lonesome, and I love it - although I could definitely use something soft and warm to hold onto at night :tongue2:

All in all I prefer my own space.  I like it quiet, and I like not having to adjust my own behavior for others who may need their own time to study, think, etc.  Living in close proximity to heaps of others can indeed make for some very interesting times, but I'll sacrifice that dynamic adventure for my own peace these days.. nevertheless, soon as another good woman walks my way I'm inviting her in to stay!

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinekilroy69
POKER GOD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jackson,MI. And not in pr...
Re: Communal living situations... [Re: geokills]
    #4899100 - 11/05/05 11:44 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
Wow killroy, I haven't seen the likes of you around here in a while!  Welcome home :grin:
<font size=1>(ps. Hear you were lookin' for Sterile - Check out: this thread)</font>

As for communal living.. after I got caught for being naughty I was sent to a military academy for a month one summer years past, my parents thought St. John's Northwestern in Wisconsin might help straighten my ass out.  While totally different than the "college type" of communal, I had to live in 'bunkers' with perhaps 50 other kids and it was interesting and fun in its own right.. but very different. Most I've really lived with at a time is sharing a suite with four people at UCSB my first year of college back at the turn of the century.  Since then, I shared a house with two others in Santa Cruz for a year and that was really sweet (since we all had our own rooms!), and also spent a year on campus in the dorms at UCSC.. but now I'm livin' by my lonesome, and I love it - although I could definitely use something soft and warm to hold onto at night :tongue2:

All in all I prefer my own space.  I like it quiet, and I like not having to adjust my own behavior for others who may need their own time to study, think, etc.  Living in close proximity to heaps of others can indeed make for some very interesting times, but I'll sacrifice that dynamic adventure for my own peace these days.. nevertheless, soon as another good woman walks my way I'm inviting her in to stay!

Yea I have a way of popping in out of the blue. Its the stoner in me. I forget about sites.

--------------------
Yeaaa im still alive.

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: Communal living situations... [Re: kilroy69]
    #4900230 - 11/06/05 11:37 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, geokills i feel your need for independance and unhindered freedom at points..

However, im not a student so i dont have too much to bitch about.

the run down of my roommates is -

-An active activist/healthy guy whose on the lease and doesnt work (lives off rent?)
-A college student girl whose sweet.
-A take me in meth addict (apperently) whose getting kicked out.
-an antisocial weirdo.
-a firespinning/treeplanting darling.
-a confusing musical student.
-a conscious marijuana salesman.
-a *beatnik* musician.
-a 34 year old, politically active guy running for city council.

plus, right now we've got a girl (no one knows who she is. she's been sleeping on our couch for weeks.) and sometimes this guy thats not really responsive - he's young, skitz, and doesnt take his meds. + friends stay over/live sometimes and there's out of town houseguests at least once a week for any duration. + currently one cat, and a fish tank.

There's a house regae band, and in the summer our house is a pivotal meeting point for the social justice collective and anyone comming through town. There's been a show or so in our living room and last nite (in a drinking session) i got some of my more conservative roommates down for hosting DIY punk shows.

Of course we all eat at different times, but if anyones doing well financially there's generally excess healthy food usually based around beans/rice/potatoes/curry/stiryfry/tofu open for anyone and often before a meal, people will commune and purchase/provide whats needed perhaps cooking different courses and share. Its not based on "whose providing what/they've earned this much of this" type of meal... its very fair everyone does what they can. My cheque was $200 more than expected, so i bought some good oil, a big bag of rice, hot sauce, and peppers which will be used quite fast communally.

Generally everyone keeps their music/voices down and lately has cleaned up their own mess. Some people share soap in the shower, and i keep my towel in my room or it'll be used. I also have my own laundry detergent.

When im sucked into the computer my female roommates will bring me yummy vegan treats, sit down and have a stimulating conversation, or take me to a party..

We have a whiteboard in the kitchen where phone messages are supposed to get written....

There's all this cliche hippie crap all over - LOTS of incense holders (where they burn sage blends, picked from our wilderness) and lots of driftwood/rock structures around the yard some have cliche sayings on them - our upstairs bathroom is covered roof to floor in sayings from "if its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down" "ego(die)" and "the future is us."... At the back theirs a wooden carport with a multitude of Bikes/kitchen appliences/carpet/computers and random crap... i have a bike trailer and a found bike for dumpster diving and im starting a freak bike collective to reclaim the streets in shocking style...

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in Flag
    #4900282 - 11/06/05 11:57 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

wow sounds nice...

my only communal expiriance was in the IDF... i used to sleep in the clinic (on the sickbeds) with the clinic ready staff (an ambulance driver which had his own little room in there three "nursus"(?) and a clerck... and the sick people ocasunaly)

we had a small kitchen and even some food... we had "rules" so it wasn't really the sharing vibe you'd get in a commune but we'd do our best to get along (working togather makes problames and loads of drama... i got used to it though and much preffered that then the actual living qourtars for the rest of the people in our base)

i had loads of places to get privecy though and often i was the only one around that didn't have to be on call but i'd give a hand (often people came in the middle of the night and i'd deal with them rather then wake someone up)
it was an interesting situation i guess... we had some good times smoking a hooka in the lounge and making some killer meals in the weekends, i had some space for my stuff and i shared a little part of my locker with a friend (we filled it with loads of candy/coffe/tea/soup etc...)

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: Communal living situations... [Re: Simisu]
    #4900315 - 11/06/05 12:12 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, im greatful i have my computer - im definatley better friends with it than my roommates.. but usually lately, their just smoking weed, or watching movies, or playing guitar... and id rather do this.

I basically live in a 7 x 13' room that has a desk, a bed, and ive created a big shelving unit to stack my camping gear/clothes/ and lots of food.

Its weird to examine human nature and politics from where im at..

After going to some festivals this summer and travelling ive felt very disenchanted with Hippiedom.. Most of my roommates are almost.. hopelessly optimistic for a better world. A couple that dont work, are almost martyrs to the realization of consciousness and responsibility and just around and smoke pot, and avoid paying taxes, and play guitar and build community (the important things in life) - but their pretty much drop outs.. and im on the verge of that, but looking through anarchistic/nihilist/angsty eyes.

we agree with things like pro shoplifting, we're anti rememberence day...

but they're more positive to a change in consciousness comming and are just ridin the wave, groovin.

where as, Im pissed at society and believe in direct action (to relieve my angst) and more progressive social environments..

Im not sure what im trying to say. Overall, ive found revolutionary punks/anarchists to be much more respectful and understanding and active...

where this household seems very, passive and less aware of a different sort of connection within the community.

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #4900338 - 11/06/05 12:24 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Hmm, does living in a co-op count as communal living? If so I spent a full year at one with about 25 other people in a giant house near campus. It was like a big fucked up extended family except everyone was equal parts black sheep/red-headed stepchild.

Mix in a healthy dose of excessive drinking and psychedelic experimentation and I'd say it was probably the most life changing experience I've gone through. I'd totally recommend anyone to try communal living, think it forces you to expand your horizons.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #4900378 - 11/06/05 12:41 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I lived in a place with 5 other guys, and we had a communal setup for pretty much the whole time. One was a full-time student who spent pretty much ALL his time in his room working on school. Great guy, though (was my room mate in 1st year) and he would come out on weekends to party. He'd also often have his gf over - who lived with us for months at a time - and she would have her friends over for days at a time as well. The rest of us were all "working" - which really meant holding up a job for about 1/3-2/3 of the year and the rest of the time smoking pot. We had a tonn of friends and a recording studio in the back yeard (4 of us were in a band) so the place was full of people almost 24/7. We had a hipster musician friend from a few doors down who more or less lived at our place.

Because we were pretty much all broke most of the time we settled into a routine of letting whoever happened to have money at the time buy the groceries. It worked fine most of the time except when ALL of us were out of work.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: Communal living situations... [Re: bert]
    #4900409 - 11/06/05 12:51 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

yeah. you gotta dive into it, take part, and create the community cause no one else will do it for you.

A co op is definately communal...

what was the situation, how did the co op work? what did you bring into it?

When i was living in the punk house (running from my coke addiction.)

What a life Change! i was introduced to anarchism, transgendered people, DIY ethic, communism, activism, bike culture, dumpster diving, food sharing, improvisiational cooking, potlucks, zines --- and pretty much a vision of hope for an anticapitalist counter culture.

At the time i couldnt handle it. I hardly understood it, i couldnt even try. I was completely brainwashed and grounded in the consumerist capitalist mentality i was raised in for 18 years... The only *communing* i did, was when i was cooking and it was usually arguing against their anarchist ideals..

I see the communal movement as an active way of reaffirming identity in a consumer/material based culture that values what you have over who you are. Its great for overcomming apathy with other like minds, and a way to subvert the system through living on barebones minimalism while maintaining or developing a new ethical standard from which to live by..

Offlineheadset
Stranger
    #4900426 - 11/06/05 12:54 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

rad trendal - we have a recording studio aswell, and a host of handdrums!

When it gets warm i could see putting on outdoor shows in our backyard.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4900444 - 11/06/05 01:00 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I've lived in communal living situation since I was 17 more or less..

Mostly it was just close friends/my bandmates.. sharing a house together. 4 or 5 of us at a time. We would do the standard.. work, smoke buds after work, play video games.. play music.. smoke more buds. That was the life for years. My friends were bong engineers, they would construct amazing homemade pieces out of all sorts of things. We had a 4 foot bamboo bong named Abumbawao. A 6 foot green acrylic one named Godzilla.. he had an optional 3 foot tube attachment that you could hook onto a gas mask.. for a total of 9 feet of smoke through a gas mask. Then there was Tsunami.. it was a gravity/hookah hybrid.. the first of its kind I have seen. A 5 gallon water jug, gravity bong stlye.. but instead of pulling the bowl off and hitting it after you fill the chamber.. you would cover the hole and push down.. 4 tubes were attached and 4 people could get majorly baked all at the same time. I guess you could say we were professional potheads. But besides that, we would just play music all the time. We put on many underground basement shows, where we would just invite everyone we knew within 50 miles, and they would invite people.. we would get a few kegs.. invite another band or two.. and just put on an awesome show in the comfort of our own home with tons of friends and everyone just having a good time. Those were definitely the best shows ever, when compared to playing at venues and whatnot.

Now I'm living with 3 other rommates. All older guys in their 30s and 40s. And I pay rediculous amounts of money in rent and utilities... but hey, it's close to my work.. I'm working a job that I love.. in a city that I love..  in the area I grew up in.. around all my friends.. I'm loving it :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: Communal living situations... [Re: Shroomism]
    #4900641 - 11/06/05 02:05 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Personally this was the best show ive ever been to..

those were my housemates, and i slept in that corner.

the kids here suck, but maybe i can get some good bands.

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
    #4900649 - 11/06/05 02:09 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

headset said:

-An active activist/healthy guy whose on the lease and doesnt work (lives off rent?)
-A college student girl whose sweet.
-A take me in meth addict (apperently) whose getting kicked out.
-an antisocial weirdo.
-a firespinning/treeplanting darling.
-a confusing musical student.
-a conscious marijuana salesman.
-a *beatnik* musician.
-a 34 year old, politically active guy running for city council.

That sounds like the basis for a bad sitcom.

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom