Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime"
    #4743945 - 10/02/05 01:36 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry, no real link..

Yet another pearl of wisdom from the clearly insane William Bennett, co-chairman of the Partnership for a Drug-Free America.

------------------------------------------------------------

Bennett under fire for remarks on blacks, crime

Friday, September 30, 2005; Posted: 3:58 a.m. EDT (07:58 GMT)

Bennett is being harshly criticized, but he says he is standing by his comments.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Congressional Democrats blasted former Education Secretary William Bennett on Thursday for saying that aborting "every black baby in this country" would reduce the crime rate, and demanded their Republican counterparts do the same.

"This is precisely the kind of insensitive, hurtful and ignorant rhetoric that Americans have grown tired of," said Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Illinois.

Bennett, who held prominent posts in the administrations of former presidents Ronald Reagan and George Bush, told a caller to his syndicated radio talk show Wednesday: "If you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose -- you could abort every black baby in this country and your crime rate would go down.

"That would be an impossibly ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down," he said.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, called on President Bush to condemn the comments by Bennett, who was anti-drug chief in Bush's father's administration.

"What could possibly have possessed Secretary Bennett to say those words, especially at this time?" Pelosi asked. "What could he possibly have been thinking? This is what is so alarming about his words."

Bennett stood by his comments Thursday night.

"I was putting forward a hypothetical proposition. Put that forward. Examined it. And then said about it that it's morally reprehensible. To recommend abortion of an entire group of people in order to lower your crime rate is morally reprehensible. But this is what happens when you argue that the ends can justify the means," he told CNN.

"I'm not racist, and I'll put my record up against theirs," referring to Pelosi and other critics. "I've been a champion of the real civil rights issue of our times -- equal educational opportunities for kids."

"We've got to have candor and talk about these things while we reject wild hypotheses," Bennett said.

"I don't think people have the right to be angry, if they look at the whole thing. But if they get a selective part of my comment, I can see why they would be angry. If somebody thought I was advocating that, they ought to be angry. I would be angry."

"But that's not what I advocate."

Asked if he owed people an apology, Bennett replied, "I don't think I do. I think people who misrepresented my view owe me an apology."

Bennett served as Reagan's chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities from 1981-1985 and secretary of education from 1985-1988. From 1989-1990, he served as "drug czar" in the administration of the elder Bush.

Rush called on "my friends, the responsible Republicans" to rebuke the former Cabinet official by backing a House resolution condemning his remarks as "outrageous racism of the most bigoted and ignorant kind."

"Where is the indignation from the GOP, as one of their prominent members talk about aborting an entire race of Americans as a way of ridding this country of crime?" asked Rush, a former Black Panther. "How ridiculous! How asinine! How insane can one be?"

He called instead for "aborting" Republican policies "which have hurt the disadvantaged, the poor, average Americans for the benefit of large corporations."

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid said he was "appalled" by Bennett's remarks.

"The Republican Party has recently taken great pains to reach out to the African-American community, and I hope that they will be swift in condemning Mr. Bennett's comments as nothing short of callous and ignorant," said Reid, D-Nevada.

And Bruce Gordon, president and CEO of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, demanded an apology from Bennett and the Salem Radio Network, which airs his radio program.

"In 2005, there is no place for the kind of racist statement made by Bennett," Gordon said in a written statement. "While the entire nation is trying to help survivors, black and white, to recover from the damage caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, it is unconscionable for Bennett to make such ignorant and insensitive comments."

A man who answered the phone at the network said no one would be available to comment until Friday.

Bennett's 1993 repackaging of traditional morality tales, "The Book of Virtues," became a bestseller, and Bennett became a popular lecturer on moral issues. But in 2003, stung by news reports that he had lost millions of dollars in Las Vegas and Atlantic City over the last decade, he publicly renounced gambling and vowed to stay away from the slots from then on.

He is a Fox News contributor and chairman of "Americans for Victory over Terrorism," which his Web site calls "a project dedicated to sustaining and strengthening public opinion as the war on terrorism moves forward."

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: carbonhoots]
    #4744137 - 10/02/05 02:51 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Finally, a pro-choice Republican. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineUnagipie
Pilgrim -DBK鰻

Loc: The Trenches of France
Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: carbonhoots]
    #4744330 - 10/02/05 04:24 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Actually, it probably is true. If you were to abort every black fetus in the United States and continued doing this for several decades, the crime rate would likely be curbed somewhat. But along with future gangbangers you would be aborting future artists, writers, doctors, teachers, and the like. Poverty and crime are inseperable, and poverty is sadly the most griping plight and domain of the African-American community. Bennett's hypothetical can be applied to many situations. If every Palestinian fetus were to be aborted, the fact of the reality is, the number of volunteering suicide bombers would be curbed.

--------------------

Don't fight it. Just let the illuminados take over your mind. You be at bliss soon.

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: Unagipie]
    #4744373 - 10/02/05 04:58 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

actually, the crime rate would increase drastically, if you chose to call all those forced abortions crimes...

i remember when new york cut its crime rate in half, just by eliminating assault as a crime...

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #4744531 - 10/02/05 07:43 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

As if what a fat, gambling addicted, christian puke like bennett said matters anyway. I'm just glad the republicans have baggage like him, dubya, and pat robertson on their side. It makes up for pukes like jesse jackson grabbing every photo op they can, which tarnishes our side.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4744555 - 10/02/05 08:01 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I bet if we aborted every baby, crime would go down even further.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: Redstorm]
    #4744565 - 10/02/05 08:05 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
I bet if we aborted every baby, crime would go down even further.

Good point.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: Learyfan]
    #4744585 - 10/02/05 08:14 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

:wink:

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: Redstorm]
    #4744624 - 10/02/05 08:30 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

some people like to belive that blacks just commit more crime because they are black. in reallity crime is committed more by poor people of any color. the real way to curb crime would be to abort all poor people's kids

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #4744637 - 10/02/05 08:33 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MikeOLogical said:
actually, the crime rate would increase drastically, if you chose to call all those forced abortions crimes...

i remember when new york cut its crime rate in half, just by eliminating assault as a crime...

What the fuck are you talking about?

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4744653 - 10/02/05 08:37 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
some people like to belive that blacks just commit more crime because they are black. in reallity crime is committed more by poor people of any color. the real way to curb crime would be to abort all poor people's kids

Correct 100% (What the fuck has happened to me?????) I am 100% against choice. You should have to pass a means and fitness test to avoid abortion. Much like passing a driving test and posting a bond or insurance to drive a car.

--------------------

OfflineJ4S0N
human
 User Gallery

#4744671 - 10/02/05 08:44 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Im just waiting to see a Republican talk about putting people into gas chambers, hey that way we can get rid of crime completely. Just kill all the criminals.

I'd be ok with that, as long as we start with the white house. More double think, reduce crime with a crime. Hahaha

--------------------
"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media." ~ William Colby, Former Director, CIA

Offlinenonphixion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: J4S0N]
    #4744673 - 10/02/05 08:45 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You can hear the clip at the end of The Daily Show... just skip to the end of this video

http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/002434.html#002434

Click on the picture to play

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4744770 - 10/02/05 09:32 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

taken in context with what he was saying, it was merely
intended to be a completely outrageous solution to a
problem, one so much that it would never be considered.

he still should have just said "abort every baby", then
none of this would have happened.

he's still a fat greasy fuck....regardless.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: afoaf]
    #4744829 - 10/02/05 10:09 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The full quote:
Quote:

CALLER: I noticed the national media, you know, they talk a lot about the loss of revenue, or the inability of the government to fund Social Security, and I was curious, and I've read articles in recent months here, that the abortions that have happened since Roe v. Wade, the lost revenue from the people who have been aborted in the last 30-something years, could fund Social Security as we know it today. And the media just doesn't -- never touches this at all.

BENNETT: Assuming they're all productive citizens?

CALLER: Assuming that they are. Even if only a portion of them were, it would be an enormous amount of revenue.

BENNETT: Maybe, maybe, but we don't know what the costs would be, too. I think as -- abortion disproportionately occur among single women? No.

CALLER: I don't know the exact statistics, but quite a bit are, yeah.

BENNETT: All right, well, I mean, I just don't know. I would not argue for the pro-life position based on this, because you don't know. I mean, it cuts both -- you know, one of the arguments in this book Freakonomics that they make is that the declining crime rate, you know, they deal with this hypothesis, that one of the reasons crime is down is that abortion is up. Well --

CALLER: Well, I don't think that statistic is accurate.

BENNETT: Well, I don't think it is either, I don't think it is either, because first of all, there is just too much that you don't know. But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky.

http://mediamatters.org/static/audio/bennett-200509280006.mp3

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4744984 - 10/02/05 11:06 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:

It's more complex than that. There are many countries who have far worse poverty than we do but have much lower crime rates. I'd say it has to do with our social values in America. We place such emphasis on material wealth and getting ahead and "making something of yourself." When someone's poor and doesn't have the opportunities to do so that others have, they will often resort to deviant ways of attaining that goal, such as drug dealing, prostitution, or theft.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: Silversoul]
    #4745030 - 10/02/05 11:19 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I think it is unimportant and useless to cite any extra-national comparisons as that introduces far too many uncontrollable variables and obfuscates the basic point, which is that relative poverty, in the context of the nation being discussed, leads to a greater likelihood of criminal activity. Crime statistics from Burkina Faso are of no relevance whatsoever. By your standards, I'm sure 99% of the Fasons are in poverty and the remaining 1% are criminals. Once again, irrelevant.

--------------------

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4745191 - 10/02/05 12:27 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

so what about the mixed kids, would you just cut them in half?

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: yousuck]
    #4745491 - 10/02/05 02:36 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

yousuck said:
so what about the mixed kids, would you just cut them in half?

Who are you responding to and what are you talking about?

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: William Bennett... "abort every black baby to reduce crime" [Re: z@z.com]
    #4746040 - 10/02/05 05:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

see....just as ludicrous as blaming our economic plight
on the federal revenues lost due to aborted babies not
being raised to pay taxes.

freakonomics is right.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order