Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline_JJ_
PsychedelicRevolutionary
Loc: NSW, Australia
What to do? 3 cakes birthed
    #473294 - 11/29/01 06:06 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hi all,
I've got 3 cakes which I birthed early as they had a red contam - they were jars innoculated with mycelium agar culture. They are covered with mycelium - except it is fluffy and doesn't look anything like the hard mycelium covering I've seen in photos and in my finished (yet contammed) other cakes.
The mycelium seems to have killed off the strange reddish brownish contam without trouble, but now I'm wondering what I have to do to get them to pin.
The 3 cakes are in a lunchbox tub thingy with perlite for humidity. There is condensation on the sides and the top - so I'm guessing the humidity aint a problem. I'm following PF's double-ended casing tek, meaning I've got vermiculite on the top and bottm of the cakes, with a daily injection of 3cc's of water onto the vermiculite to rehydrate the cakes.
Any suggestions welcome.
Here's a pic of one, firs pic with flash, second without flash (to demonstrate the incomplete surface covering of the mycelium).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFreakShow
3n+hu$|@$+
Re: What to do? 3 cakes birthed [Re: _JJ_]
    #473301 - 11/29/01 06:19 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hey JJ,
Looks like you are in about the same position as myself. I've also got 3 jars which are just about 100% colonised, all still in the jars. I've been doing a lot of reading here, on the forums lately, and here's what I'm going to do w/ my 3. Maybe this will help you out.

I'm planning on birthing two of the cakes straight into my terrarium and will basically leave alone in a humid, ~70-75 degree environment until fruiting takes place. The third jar, I plan on trying to do a casing. I'm still in search of what the best way of doing this would be for camobodians and will only be using one jar of substrate, not many as it seems many other people do. Maybe I can find a small plastic tupperware (opaque is best i've heard to keep light out) and use a wet layer of vermiculite at the bottom, them crumpled substrate, then dry vermiculite at the top. The dry is to help keep contaminants out of the wet areas and acts simillarly to the top layer of the substrate jars.

Anyway, hope this helps...keep up the good work! What strain are you growing?

Offline_JJ_
PsychedelicRevolutionary
Re: What to do? 3 cakes birthed [Re: FreakShow]
    #473314 - 11/29/01 06:34 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks FreakShow.. I'm growing Equadorian. If these fail then I'm all out of spore print heh.
May I suggest you do a 50/50 mix of vermiculite and peat moss, from what I've read it works wonders. Plain verm casings supposedly aren't as good. Make sure you sterilize everything whichever way you do it btw :) I've cased one of my cakes with that already so I guess we're doin the same thing heh. It seems to be growing alright, the casing smells nice and sweet :) On that note - I've read it should smell mushroomy (mycelium growth) yet it smells more like sweet berries. Anyone else agree?

OfflineFreakShow
3n+hu$|@$+
    #473316 - 11/29/01 06:37 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting! I've heard the same thing about the peat moss/verm casing. How much peat moss and verm did you use to case the one jar of substrate? Also, did you use a dry layer of verm on top of the entire casing?

Make sure you post some more pics of your casing once it starts to fruit. I'd love to see your setup. :)

Offline_JJ_
PsychedelicRevolutionary
Re: What to do? 3 cakes birthed [Re: FreakShow]
    #473320 - 11/29/01 06:42 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Well.. I used a small lunchbox.. I just sorta estimated the amount I'd need.. so I'm not too sure. No dry verm layer, just peat moss mixed with verm. I'll post the pics, might be a while though, considering the cake was only 50% colonized heh :)

btw if anyone could help with my original question that'd be cool :)

Edited by _JJ_ (11/29/01 06:51 AM)

OfflineNewbieShroomer

Loc: San Diego California Baby...
    #473940 - 11/29/01 06:32 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Dude, I have like 60 jars going now ( five boxes and a bunch of misc jars...

Here is what I posted at Mycotopia today...

Yea baby!!!

From my original batches started at the beginning of this month ( the 2nd ) I had a bunch of jars that contamed. learned my lessons, but tried to save a few of the cakes. I cut out the green, added an peroxide/water/perlite base and set the cakes directly on the perlite which lives in a few iceberg lettuce crispers on top of my fridge. Wasn't expecting to save them. They got whiter, and whiter, and bumpier as I was fanning, misting twice daily. I had set my girlfriend working this particular batch, and when I checked them myself last night
and I have HUGE pins, coming out from all sides,
OUT OF NOWHERE. Totally unexpected. by this morning some of them were actually 1/4 inch in length!! From a previosly CONTAMED cake no less!!
Wow. Anyway, I am WAY to excited, me and my girl were fit to break our faces with smiles last night and we spent quite awhile just staring at the babies that we had been working for for a month, and collecting materials for a month previous to that. Hard work is FINALLY paying off, and I really didn't expect anything at all from the contam cakes, much less that they would be the first to pin.... Hmmm, I believe these were talpalpas strain froom captain Max.....
Pretty durn hardy!!!

* sigh * Wish I had a digital camera........

Basically it's a waiting game. Just keep optimal conditions and sooner or later pinning will start!! Hey freakshow!!! Hows it hangin man? Things going well??
Sure, you can do all kinds of other things to INDUCE pinning, but it will happen on it's own if your shit is healthy, and your pix ( jj ) look DAMN HEALTHY!!!

Good luck dude~!

--------------------
If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
http://www.Mycotopia.net

OfflineDrJoseph
Wendy shot thegun.

Loc: intermolecular travel
Re: What to do? 3 cakes birthed [Re: NewbieShroomer]
    #474048 - 11/29/01 08:06 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like the day im waiting for.. my face will be bright bright bright!! wow im in like the exact same position as JJ.. 2 cakes in terrarium 1 cake in jar, all cambod, they are real fluffy like and keep getting more fluffy but i dont see any pins! its been a bit over a week now and im waitin and waitin!! i guess im not doin anything wrong, just gotta wait for the day until they explode with pins?? that would be cool. well, peice, see ya

--------------------
"cus it aint gonna be like you think it is - thats the one thing you can take to the bank." - Terance mckenna

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract