Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinezhukov
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
Abandoning the constitution???
    #465358 - 11/21/01 06:35 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Uh huh....Dubya's at it again with new draconian laws to try suspected terrorist non-citizens in secret & with no juries, or judges (just a military tribunal...) :

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0147/hentoff.php

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMokshaMan
enthusiast
Re: Abandoning the constitution??? [Re: zhukov]
    #465919 - 11/21/01 06:37 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Not saying I don't agree with the article(generally I did), but where in the Constitution does it state that non-citizens are protected under the same laws as citizens?

--------------------
Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
-- George Owell

InvisiblePGF
square

Loc: Malaysia
Re: Abandoning the constitution??? [Re: MokshaMan]
    #465942 - 11/21/01 06:59 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

During the "red scare" non citizen residents or resident aliens who spoke out for unions or the Bolshevik revolution in Russia were immediately deported. That is fine, but when they start in on resident americans, as they did during the red scare, then we need to worry.

This may be a preclude to actions that are forthcoming against those of us who have disagreements with the way this country is being run. So, keep an eye out for further errosion of your liberties.

That said, one high ranking ACLUer has been in agreement with the government's decision to suspend the constittional rights of people being detained. namely, the withholding of a prisoner's right to an attorney, as well as the implementation of "torture" methods to elicit information.

Now worry.

--------------------
***The Real Shroomery nigger

Edited by PGF (11/21/01 07:02 PM)

InvisibleMokshaMan
enthusiast
Re: Abandoning the constitution??? [Re: PGF]
    #465958 - 11/21/01 07:22 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Trust me I am worried about what they're doing with respect to resident aliens, my wife is Canadian(she has a green card). I do agree that resident aliens should be protected under the same laws as citizens, but what about people that are here on student, work, or visitor visas? Should these people realistically have the same Constitutional rights as citizens since they aren't citizens? Not saying I support this whole secret military trial crap.

--------------------
Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
-- George Owell

InvisiblePGF
square

#465973 - 11/21/01 07:43 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

No, aliens should not be guaranteed all constitutional rights. However, I think that once the gov ceases to treat them as if they are citizens, they should be deported. None of this torture and shit. If the gov does not wish to treat a non-citizen with the same rights as a citizen, that person should have the option to immediately leave.

IMO of course.

--------------------

InvisibleMokshaMan
enthusiast
    #466286 - 11/22/01 01:10 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Unless a crime has been commited(an actual crime that can be proven in a US court of law), I would agree whole hearted with you. If a crime has been commited, then we should inform their government and try them in our courts or send them back to be tried by their country. Of course, that's just my opinion.

--------------------
-- George Owell

InvisiblePGF
square

#466506 - 11/22/01 07:53 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

It is sometimes a great burden to prove a crime has been commited. A trial is usually necessary to establish guilt or innocence and trials are extrmemly expensive. Why should we burden our system with non citizens? Living here is a privilege for those folks not a right and revocation of the privilege should be at the discretion of our beaurocracy. That crap on the statue of liberty is not, after all, in the Constitution. (-:

Granted, I think it should be easier to become a citizen than it is right now.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Abandoning the constitution??? [Re: zhukov]
    #466580 - 11/22/01 11:48 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

if Gore was president we would of already lost our rights as citizens. I don't agree with a lot that's going on lately but i do believe that foriegners should NOT be protected under our Constitution.

Life's a bitch....

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleMokshaMan
enthusiast
    #467261 - 11/23/01 02:48 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hadn't considered the financial side... of course, I'm sure there would be exceptions to every rule. You do make a good point. True it is on the statue that talks about the poor and weak and huddled masses... it's a French conspiracy :). Let me ask, what about becoming a citizen do you think should become easier? My wife was offered the option of citizenship and choose to get a green card retaining her Canadian citizenship.

--------------------
-- George Owell

InvisiblePGF
square

#467396 - 11/23/01 07:36 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

True it is on the statue that talks about the poor and weak and huddled masses... it's a French conspiracy :).

The irony is the French are regular nazis to immigrants.

Let me ask, what about becoming a citizen do you think should become easier? My wife was offered the option of citizenship and choose to get a green card retaining her Canadian citizenship.
I would think your wife could get US citizenship while retaining Candian citizensihp, right? Dual citizenship?

I think non english speaking immigrants have a really tough challenge to obtaining citizenship. I remember my brother's yugoslavian wife's father had a very tough time and it took forever. I'm not sure of what the hold up was, but a background check and a job and place to live should be the only requirement, IMO. Once you show that you are not just another burden on the system, they should let you in english speaking or not.

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
    #469393 - 11/25/01 04:17 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Non-citizens should not be protected by the Constitution and if they are suspected of being terrorists they should not be deported or turned over to the governments that they have citizenship to. We are trying to save American lives here and the best way to do that is to torture some Arabs in hopes of gaining information.

So long as we are going to fight this war, we should keep ourselves as safe as possible. Now is not the time to coddle the liberals.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleJackMehoff
enthusiast

Loc: up your ass
Re: Abandoning the constitution??? [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #469552 - 11/25/01 07:30 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

You are a about a sad excuse for an American you fucking wanna be Nazi.

Senor_Doobie at Auschwitz in 1943

Senor_Doobi: The Angel of Death

--------------------
BULLSHIT

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: Abandoning the constitution??? [Re: JackMehoff]
    #469583 - 11/25/01 08:29 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

And here we see a man so blinded by his Liberal upbringing that he cannot distinguish between the genocide of millions of Jews, and a wartime criminal investigation.

Do you see why coddling these fools at such a crucial time would be a mistake?

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#469739 - 11/26/01 01:38 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Doobie, that's a little fucked. It is in fact very fucked. So, I come down there (from Canada), and I'm messing around burning a flag or something with some freedom fighters at a protest. Then the man comes and arrests me. Then, they find out I'm not a citizen, therefore enabling them to torture me and shit, whereas a citizen would be protected by the constitution (or common sense and human dignity).
Who decides that I might be a terrorist? What is the justification of this? If you start messing around with shit like that, I hope you can contain it.

--------------------

InvisiblePGF
square

Re: Abandoning the constitution??? [Re: Ulysees]
    #469821 - 11/26/01 07:05 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Ul, I do not see them torturing protesters anytime soon. I believe by terrist activity Doobie means terrorist related activities; burning a flag makes you a college kid with too much time on his hands, not a dangerous terrorist.

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

#469868 - 11/26/01 09:38 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

PGF is correct.

I have to count on my government to make the proper distinctions. Burning a flag is not an act of terrorism. Letting a terrorist live at your house is.

Torture is not a form of punishment. It is a form of gaining information. To torture some Canadian would not help expose terrorists, while torturing a suspected terrorist may.

The lines are a bit hazy, I'll admit, but this is a dangerous time.

--------------------

Edited by Senor_Doobie (11/26/01 09:40 AM)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #469966 - 11/26/01 11:46 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

WOW...i'm beginning to like you...something has got to be in the water....

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: Abandoning the constitution??? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #469987 - 11/26/01 12:12 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Beginning??

I thought we were old buddies...

--------------------

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#470478 - 11/26/01 08:18 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

ok, so me burning a flag might not get me tortured, but that wasn't really the entire point of it... It's the fact that once you get started doing something like that, and you find that it works real good, things have a tendancy to get out of hand. That is pretty much the case of everything related to the US, larger than life, if you catch my drift. I don't trust any american poilitician to decide who get's tortured and who doesn't, because once that politician (or whoever's doing the deciding) starts making descisions like that, they have gone too far... Things are already bad enough down there with capital punishment and all, why would you want to start torturing? How does that make America a better place?
Actually, I hope you do start torturing people, and then more people in the world will realize what a fucked up place America is. (You do realize that almost every civilized country is repusled by you capital punishment system and how much you love it...)
Besides, torture doesn't yeild actual results, it just makes people tell you what you want to hear., so that you stop torturing them. This might be the truth, and it might not... Don't you remember anything from the past? Haven't you learned anything?
Torture. What the fuck.

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: Abandoning the constitution??? [Re: Ulysees]
    #470685 - 11/26/01 11:35 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

The past has obviously taught us that torture works. That's why we are using it.You are repulsed by our capital punishment? Who cares? You people are repulsed by anything that comes out of America simply because it comes out of America.

Remember that Hollywood, an American institution, still leads the "civilized" world in movie revenue. As do our sitcoms and for some reason, Baywatch.

You donn't seem to mind our greenbacks either...but when it comes down to something you can afford to thumb your noses at, capital punishment becomes the major drawback.

You are disgusted? It's probably because you are a pussy.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom