Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Antler Reishi on purple corn???
    #4667632 - 09/16/05 12:03 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Has anybody heard of this before?

Is it bullshit?

http://www.botanicalpreservationcorps.com/Botanicals_1.htm

"REISHI, ANTLER FORM Ganoderma lucidum
Known as Rokkaku-Reishi, this is the rarest, most revered and magically endowed form of the mushroom. Typically the antler shape arises from varying carbon dioxide levels and low light. When grown on the phytochemically rich Purple Corn, the fungus miraculously produces an abundance of stubby antler form fruitbodies, 1.5?3 inches long. "

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Antler Reishi on purple corn??? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4669012 - 09/16/05 11:43 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Reeks of holistic BS to me.
Phytochemicals are any naturally occuring chemical within a plant. Big woop. I know a plant thats loaded with phytochemicals: Hemlock.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Antler Reishi on purple corn??? [Re: YidakiMan]
    #4670519 - 09/16/05 05:43 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

They also have the purple corn in question itself. here's what they say about it:

Quote:

PURPLE CORN Zea mays "Maiz Morado"
Also called Kculli, cultivated in Peru as a food and medicine since antiquity. Highly nutritious, packed full of powerful antioxidant polyphenols and flavonoid anthocyanins responsible for one of the richest purple colors found in nature. Anthocyanins are known to be anticarcinogenic, antimutagenic, antimicrobial, antiviral; they are found to reduce cholesterol, promote connective tissue regeneration, stimulate collagen formation, improve circulation, enhance vision, boost immune function and reduce inflammation. Studies suggest it aids the prevention of diabetes and obesity. Japanese research has demonstrated Purple Corn impedes the formation of colon cancer. Gaining popularity as a antiaging herb and a prophylactic against colds and flus. We find it has a calming effect on the body and mind, promoting a tranquil state. An incredible natural fabric and hair dye and a beautiful addition to beverages and foods. In Peru it is traditionally made into a sweet beer known as "chicha morado" ( for chicha recipes see the Book Sacred and Healing Herbal Beers ). The Purple Corn we offer is organically grown in Peru using no petroleum products. We have whole kernels and a potent atomized powder extract. A medicinal drink can be made by simply soaking the whole kernels in water overnight, straining and consuming the dark purple infusion. The extract contains at least 5% anthocyanins?a single teaspoon equals the anthocyanins found in 1.5 cups of blueberries! 1?2 teaspoons of extract a day, a little goes a long way. The extract powder absorbs moisture easily, and can become a solid mass if not stored properly. For storage we recommend a glass jar with an air tight lid.

Wow, I'd hate to have to eat a cup and a half of blueberries. I'd much rather have a teaspoon of purple corn extract. :rolleyes"

If I could devise an experiment to test their claim, I would buy a pound and try it out. Any suggestions?

--------------------

Invisiblemushrx1
rainy season
 User Gallery
Re: Antler Reishi on purple corn??? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4677253 - 09/18/05 12:31 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Agreed. (No pun intended)

They're selling to the crowd that believes in magic at the expense of reason. So many claims are unfounded, but that's not important. The products themselves _do have a history and anyone reasonable would want to investigate to their own ability all historic uses and "contraindications" of these plant (food) medicines. Local Indian peoples used a plant full of phytochemicals too: toxicodendron diversilobum, it's great for skin afflictions, athletes foot, you can even tattoo yourself with it. It's Poison Oak- and most European peoples are at least partially allergic to it's sap.

If they can sell it and thereby stay in business, then no harm done. It's corn. But the snake oil marketing approaches offensive. I read all that "mycelium" product as not taking the time to fruit the mushrooms. Plant based products are very different wrt fruit vs. plant body vs. roots. Even seeds have their own chemistry. For most bean family, potato/tomato family, etc. the leaves & roots are toxic, the fruit very nutritious. I haven't seen enough testing on mycelia to reveal it's use. Afterall, the history of use for these mushrooms didn't include cultivation for use of mycelium. Christopher Hobbs explains that wrt Reishi, the fruit body cap has greater betaglucans than mycelia or "antler" stipes. I believe that the Japanese folklore about stipe tissue being more potent is related to the phallic form. Japanese often use physical strength and phallic forms as "aphrodisiacs". Most of that's unfounded. Hobbs was citing Japanese research btw, analyzing the medicinal value of parts of reishi.

(imho)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms